DVLA has not sent my V5 log book before trip

Overland driving routes and ferries
Cundalini

DVLA has not sent my V5 log book before trip

Postby Cundalini » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:07 am

Another problem has arisen I don`t have the V5 log book with my name and address on !I only have the bit the previous owner gave me as the seller .Will this suffice ? I asked the DVLA why it wasn`t sent .They claim they sent it and now want £25 as the next one sent will be a replacement ! this will take too long ! I seem to remember being asked to show a V5 in Italy a few years back when getting on a ferry .Does this apply to the Brindisi to Patras ferry ? Could they refuse me boarding if I don`t have the proper V5 ? Knowing Italy I probably wouldn`t get a refund !
Cundalini wants his hand back!

Frank in Crete

Re: DVLA has not sent my V5 log book before trip

Postby Frank in Crete » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:18 pm

We recently traveled by road from the UK to Crete with a 5 ton 6.5m long pickup boxed out in the back and a 7m long 3.3 m high box trailer with all our worldly good on and did not get stopped or asked for any paperwork pertaining to the vehicle in the UK, France, Italy or Greece.

Although we did get a few funny looks at the entrance to the Mont Blanc Tunnel from the authorities, but maybe this was down to the fact that the engine had caught fire at this point !

If you plan to keep the vehicle after the 6 months rule then you need to declare the vehicle once you get into Greece at customs and would need your V5 then, we did not know this and are having to jump through some hoops to overcome this.

Have a good trip !

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:45 pm

It's a fair bet that the "hoops" have large € signs on them, Frank?

I have travelled to Greece and back through France and Italy both by motorbike and in two different cars. I was never asked for a V5 and I certainly didn't have it with me if I had been. I didn't go through Switzerland so cannot comment on that and the last time was a 16 years ago. I can't think of any reason why things have changed but who knows?

I once went into FYROM with my boss in his car and not only did they need the registration book at the border they also checked the VIN and Engine numbers on the car against those in the book. I would assume that you would need them if you decided to take the land route through Serbia.

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:41 pm

An interesting route if you went through the Mont Blanc Tunnel Frank! Did you set off from Calais, or did you do a longer ferry crossing to the south?

We have never been asked for our V5 log book either, but we always carry it with us.

louisejersey

Postby louisejersey » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:44 pm

Hi we travelled through France Switzerland, Italy, and Greece on our way here 18 months ago, and no one looked twice at our (Jersey registered) car. x

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:56 pm

I've mostly used the Mont Blanc tunnel, Maud. Calais to Geneva on the French motorways. Through Mont Blanc and join the Italian Motorway system. On the motorbike I took motorail from Calais to Nice and then went round the coast from Nice to La Spezia. Spectacular scenery. Endless bridge-tunnel-bridge.

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:02 pm

Ah.....I gather that is an attractive route Warwick, and much quicker than ours. We try to use our travels out and back as a holiday, so take our time and avoid the motorways as much as possible. - Not in Italy though as the other roads are rubbish....as you will know!

We met a chap at the border in Switzerland a couple of years ago. I was filling in our vignette and he came over to chat and to ask me how to do it. He had done the motorway route through the middle of France and had got from Manchester to Basel in 10 hours, including the Channel crossing. He was driving a very powerful Mercedes and was on his way to Monza for the racing. (I think he should have been taking part!). He did admit though that he thought he had 'flashed' about three cameras en route!

The Alsace is a favourite of ours, so we always have a stop-over there.....and enjoy the local offerings!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:48 am

The first time I did it by car it took me two and a half days door to door each way from northern Greece to just north of London. Only me driving but pretty tiring. The second time was to the Bordeaux area of France with a stop off at some friends near Pescara so not really comparable. On the motorbike it was a touring holiday for our 25th wedding anniversary so much more relaxed.

My son always claims that the speed cameras on the M25 near Heathrow are very dangerous. Flashing so regularly they could provoke an epileptic fit.

Warwick

Cundalini

Postby Cundalini » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:25 am

Frank in Crete wrote:We recently traveled by road from the UK to Crete with a 5 ton 6.5m long pickup boxed out in the back and a 7m long 3.3 m high box trailer with all our worldly good on and did not get stopped or asked for any paperwork pertaining to the vehicle in the UK, France, Italy or Greece.

Although we did get a few funny looks at the entrance to the Mont Blanc Tunnel from the authorities, but maybe this was down to the fact that the engine had caught fire at this point !

If you plan to keep the vehicle after the 6 months rule then you need to declare the vehicle once you get into Greece at customs and would need your V5 then, we did not know this and are having to jump through some hoops to overcome this.

Have a good trip !

What about the ferry from Brindisi ? I seemed to remember they asked for a an insurance certificate and a V5 log book when booking in for a boarding pass at the ferry terminal . I think it was Grimaldi line or Minoan ?
Cundalini wants his hand back!

louisejersey

Postby louisejersey » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:45 am

We did Bari to Patras with Minoan Lines. Again, nothing was asked for. Of course, we might have just been lucky.

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:10 pm

Have travelled Ancona to Patra a number of times and have always been asked for V5. A couple of times with a hired van and have accepted a photo copy but still asked for it.

Have come off the Ancona boat at about 3.30 pm and have been in Dunkirk/ Calais for 4.00 ish the next day. Have pulled up when tired and had a few hours kip. but its a real easy drive, all motorway.

Joan

Postby Joan » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:25 pm

We have done Ancona-Patras and Piraeus-Souda and back twice a year for the past ten years.

In January 2016 we were suddenly asked for vehicle documents on the Patras-Ancona leg (there was a new notice at the Anek window saying they would be required). We had none (and had already done the other three legs that winter with no such request). There was a lengthy discussion. Eventually the girl at the desk asked if we had a photo showing the number-plate. I went out and took one, showed it to her on the camera, and she was happy. Planning the summer trip, we made sure that our insurance documents (which included the vehicle registration) were easily accessible - and after some discussion they were accepted.

We guess we can see why that particular leg of the journey is being checked more carefully than the others - it would just be nice to be warned when buying tickets.

Of course, having been trained pretty well from birth never to carry a log book in a vehicle, we are not planning on carrying ours. But this time we have photocopied it - we'll know in January whether it's completely acceptable or not.

Joan

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:28 pm

Joan wrote:...Of course, having been trained pretty well from birth never to carry a log book in a vehicle...

You are aware that you have to carry it in the vehicle in Greece by law?

Warwick

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:29 pm

Along with your passport.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:24 pm

Not in the vehicle though, Moggieman, but about your person. (Yes, I did know that's what you meant.) I've never had a problem just carrying colour copies of the Passport and Residence Permit. I also have my UK driving licence in my wallet which is OK except when I forget the wallet if heading to the shops with 'Er Indoors.

Return to “Overland to Crete & Ferries”