Driving from England to Chania March 2018

Overland driving routes and ferries
filippos

Re: Driving from England to Chania March 2018

Postby filippos » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:36 pm

It must get awfully noisy in shared cabins with all those babies ;-)

PS Sorry W, couldn't resist: will smack myself on the wrist.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:34 am

I know, the devil made you post it. I'll be awarding you the Satcure Medal of Honour soon?

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:28 am

Nah, I can't make the excuse of devilment, just weak will and 'cos I know you. Your horrid threat will strengthen my will to resist if I see similar from you in future.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:30 pm

I was really tempted to comment on the post by the lady who was "pouring" over flowers in Lidl but I resisted the temptation - knowing that Philip would put his PC hat on and condemn me!

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:30 pm

Before we lived here full time I drove from the UK to Crete and back again a few times winter and summer , whenever I had a gap in my work , Never booked ahead just drove down in my old Volvo Estate loaded with tools and materials ...and went back loaded with wine, raki,cheese and oil... I liked the freedom of not booking in advance ...so if I wanted to stop in Italy or spend time with some friends in Luxembourg (petrol was very cheap in Luxembourg) I could ...once or twice I had to wait in Ancona or Patras for the next ferry ... but not that often ,and one winter time I woke up in a carpark in the north of Italy in the Volvo in a car park in a snow drift ... I liked the journey ,always met interesting people ....

Matilpa1

Postby Matilpa1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:31 pm

Warwick, I will definitely check on if we have to bunk in with other 2 other complete strangers or if we get the cabin to ourselves and no crying babies :lol:
Hoping to get Piraeus-Chania-Piraeus fare quote tomorrow, it is after all the only way to get us and our van onto the island!!

Tim - wish we could have rented a smaller vehicle like Caddy, Berlingo, etc. but cannot justify the cost for this expedition.

Jeff you sound like quite the adventurer :D

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:37 am

It is Clean Monday here today and therefore you may not receive a response today, just to let you know :)
Someday is now : )

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:47 am

Matilpa1 wrote:Warwick, I will definitely check on if we have to bunk in with other 2 other complete strangers or if we get the cabin to ourselves and no crying babies :lol:

On the Heraklion ferries, there are both 2 and 4 berth cabins. I don't imagine Chania ferries are any different. Just book a 2 berth. You are not forced to share if you don't want to. A 2 berth cabin is a bit more expensive per head obviously.

Andrew

Matilpa1

Postby Matilpa1 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:18 am

Yin&Yang I just realised it is Clean Monday today. So will wait till tomorrow :roll:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:09 pm

YoMo2 wrote:... Just book a 2 berth. You are not forced to share if you don't want to...

Freight bookings work differently from normal car bookings, Andrew. You pay for the vehicle at a much higher price than for a car but the price includes two passengers and a cabin. Since the cabin is included in the vehicle price I am not sure that you have a choice. I guessed that the shipping line might allocate the cheapest cabin and that could mean a 4 berth sharing with other people. That is why I advised Matilpa1 to check exactly what the quote included.

Warwick

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:21 pm

In reply to Kilkis post.
With a large vehicle yes it includes a cabin, and if not busy it's on your own. Busy time they try to put the same language together. And you don't get the choice. I have found one has to request both cabins and discount tickets, They try not to tell you.
Also, ask for the discount ticket (not usually offered) as you are entitled to a discount in restaurants and bars.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:21 am

Kilkis wrote:
YoMo2 wrote:... Just book a 2 berth. You are not forced to share if you don't want to...

Freight bookings work differently from normal car bookings, Andrew. You pay for the vehicle at a much higher price than for a car but the price includes two passengers and a cabin. Since the cabin is included in the vehicle price I am not sure that you have a choice. I guessed that the shipping line might allocate the cheapest cabin and that could mean a 4 berth sharing with other people. That is why I advised Matilpa1 to check exactly what the quote included.

Warwick

Ooops! Missed the fact that it was a freight booking. I was distracted by the midwifery section of the thread.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:40 am

I've warned you before. If you don't pay attention you will be forced to come and sit at the front of the class.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:00 pm

I promise to behave in future.

Andrew

Return to “Overland to Crete & Ferries”