Realistic Driving Costs

Overland driving routes and ferries
Ladyt25

Realistic Driving Costs

Postby Ladyt25 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:24 pm

Okay! So I've seen several posts on here but, what costs and timescales are actually involves in driving from the UK to Crete and, with a dog (excluding passport costs etc).

Having recently just purchased a holiday home I have ideas of driving with my dog in the cooler months to spend some time there..us this feasible and, if so how have people done it?

I couldn't put her on a plane as it'd be too stressful and I quite fancy the idea of stopping off on the way to make a real holiday of it..

Is it possible?

Houmeri91

Re: Realistic Driving Costs

Postby Houmeri91 » Sat May 04, 2019 6:54 am

Yes quite feasible and enjoyable to a certain extent if you make a trip of it with the dogs and not just foot down all the way as some do . I did it with our two dogs last October drove down via France Belgium Luxembourg Switzerland Italy ( lovely stopover at Lake Garda definetly going back ! ) We drove down to Ancona Ferry from there overnight 24 hours to Patras , Drive over from Patras to Pireaus Port few hours very good toll road and night ferry to Heraklion Bob's your Uncle !!! Got an early booking discount on Ferries used Minoan was 300 and odd Euros per ferry leg . And they have a bonus club join that to reduce cost also you get points that can be used for free trips in future , points gained in October have just paid for one way of ferry trip to Santorini with the car later in Month.
Ferries have pet friendly cabins you can book so you can keep dog with you rather than use the kennels . Ferries run also from Venice ( dates and availability of pet friendly cabin didn't work for us there ) and Bari.
Costs well we only paid tolls to go through a mountain in France as toll roads expensive there they say ( if we hadn't would have added 4 hours to drive so was well worth it ), just set sat nav for the most part to avoid tolls only adds very little time in France Belgium . In italy use the Auto strada we had plenty of time as after Lake Garda had a another stop in Italy so thought we would set the scenic route around Milan so set to avoid tolls ( big mistake around Milan was a nightmare on their second tier roads like dual carriages extremely close to Milan , think Italian Job Driving on the M25 i.e . full of trafffic !!!!! . Overall yes feasible if you enjoy driving . If there is anything else you want to know just ask .

Houmeri91

Postby Houmeri91 » Sat May 04, 2019 7:28 am

Additionally just thought I looked at this sequence of utube video's of this lorry driver doing the journey as far as Athens found that useful and when I saw how they load the Greek ferries made me re think bringing a camping trailer ! But found the insight of a professional driver useful although of course a lot of the LGV is no applicable to a standard car . If you decide on the the Swiss Route you will need a vignette for the roads but you can buy mail order in advance and lasts a year . There are of course alternative route to avoid Switzerland but lovely drive through the mountains and lakes . Plenty of pet friendly accommodation on route through Europe as well if you tour ,we used Booking.com just set the pet friendly filter and it automatically pulls them out .

Houmeri91

Postby Houmeri91 » Sat May 04, 2019 7:29 am

In the words of Homer Simpson DOHHHHHHHHH!

Forgot the U tube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIFeFs6K1DA

Ladyt25

Postby Ladyt25 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:17 am

Thanks for your reply - I was definitely planning on making it part of the holiday rather than just trying to get there as quickly as possible.

Do you know what the total costs were (excluding accommodation as obviously that can differ a lot) as I assume the €300 is just the ferries?

I like the sound of the dog friendly cabins. Am considering doing this either the end of the season or beginning when it's a bit cooler for the dog so we can actually go for some decent walks (although I think she'd actually love the chilling out at tavernas lifestyle!)

mouche

Postby mouche » Sat May 04, 2019 9:51 am

When dogs have to go, where do they go on a ferry?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat May 04, 2019 10:07 am

I think you are going to have to do your own research. Where are you starting from in the UK, e.g. Dover or John O'Groats? Makes quite a difference to the distance. What sort of car do you drive, e.g a modern hybrid doing over 50 mpg or a Mercedes Maybach doing around 20 mpg (if you're lucky)? Makes a big difference to the fuel cost. Which countries do you intend to drive through and what sort of roads do you intend to use, e.g. motorways in Germany are generally free while in France they cost? Which sea route do you plan to use, e.g. Venice to Patras or Bari to Igoumenitsa? The former involves the least driving but costs more for the ferry while the latter is a cheaper ferry but involves more driving. Does the ferry you intend to use from Italy to Greece also serve Piraeus to Crete? If so you get a discount on the second route, if not both are full price. So many questions and I am sure there are lots more.

I've done UK to Greece and back twice, once by motorbike and once by car and I've also done Greece to Bordeaux and back once by car. I haven't the foggiest idea what it cost or if what it cost when I did it would be relevant today. When I am doing a journey like that I don't spend my time writing down what everything cost. Some possibly useful web sites:

https://www.anek.gr/en/
https://www.minoan.gr/en/crete
https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/
https://www.rac.co.uk/route-planner/
http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

Warwick

PS If you decide to use ordinary roads in France please note that the maximum speed limit has been reduced to 80 kph even though the signs still say 90 kph. Obviously lower limits apply where signed.
PPS There is an area, usually on the top deck, next to the dog kennels, where dogs can relieve themselves and you are expected to clean up after them.

Houmeri91

Postby Houmeri91 » Sun May 05, 2019 5:48 am

Yes very true Warwick it is about personalising , and yes for for ferry over from Ancona with a pet friendly cabin was 348 euros because we had a roof box on and our vehicle was tall anyway had to pay extra and could have taken a vehicle upto 6 m long and 4m high , which would have been cheaper without the roof box , Pireaus to Heraklion was 313 euro again if been a standard car and sleeping in a seat rather than pet friendly cabin would reduce costs considerably .
One of our dogs is an old boy of thirteen so didn't want to put in the kennels on the top deck as described by Warwick . Hence paid for inside pet friendly cabin .
Variances continue you pay for pets on Channel Ferries to France but not on the greek ferries . Its all different choices to suit you basically as Warwick says . If you want cheap you cut your cloth to suit or if you like luxury well you pay more .

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun May 05, 2019 12:41 pm

Personally I always had a cabin. My ancient bones make their opinion abundantly clear if they don't get the use of a comfortable bed every night. I had an aircraft seat once from Bari/Brindisi to Igoumenitsa, because all cabins were taken, but felt like chewed string the next morning. I found 8 hours of incessant coughing, farting and the stench of human sweat not conducive to a pleasant journey. I might consider sitting in the lounge all night on the ferry from Piraeus to Chania, because I know I have a 30 minute drive to home when the ship docks, but I wouldn't consider it going from Patras to Italy, where I know I am facing a 12 hour drive the next morning.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun May 05, 2019 1:57 pm

It also depends what time of year you travel .When we first bought this house in 2001 drove here and back a few times over the 4 years before we sold up and burnt our boats ... I would sleep up on deck with a sleeping bag , I remember one return trip arriving in Venice at dawn, just stunning ...mind you I was young and foolish then ....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun May 05, 2019 5:40 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:...sleep up on deck with a sleeping bag ...

Those words should never be used in the same sentence. You've started my back aching just reading them. A gentleman only uses words like "interior sprung" and "memory foam"

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun May 05, 2019 6:09 pm

Ha Ha Warwick , I have been blessed , some might say cursed , with the ability to sleep anywhere ...back seat of a car, back of a lorry , plane ,haystack, in a tent whatever ...as regards to memory foam.. When I think of some of the places I have ended up I'd prefer amnesia foam.

Ladyt25

Postby Ladyt25 » Sun May 05, 2019 7:36 pm

Ha, yes obviously it will differ depending where you travel from, through and to. I'm in Leeds so obviously have a few hours drive first but I like driving do that doesn't bother me. I have an SUV which is relatively good on fuel but I debated over if I was to do it whether I just hired a small camper van instead. I'd probably just use my own car .

I personally thought about going through Italy but have seen others saying about going through Serbia etc. I was really wanting people's personal experiences of doing it and whether the costs are really extortionate - ie in to thousands of pounds.

It's something I would very much like to do before my dog is too old. Whether we remain in the EU could also have an impact. I would only really go at the beginning or end of the year when it's a bit cooler.

Definitely think I would be wanting a pet friendly cabin though, I'm.too old for sleeping on deck! Ha

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Sun May 05, 2019 9:56 pm

Going outside tourist season means you don't need to pre-book ferries although pre-book accommodation might be cheaper and can extend stay until ready to go for next ferry. Winter tyres may be mandatory if driving late/early in the year. I think each country has its own regulations and when they can be removed. I think Germany is by March.

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Fri May 10, 2019 10:22 am

Also its possible to book open return on the ferries, so you get max discounts with an open return date.

Return to “Overland to Crete & Ferries”