Driving England to Crete March 2013

Overland driving routes and ferries
Maud

Driving to Crete

Postby Maud » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:28 am

Thanks for all the information already on this topic. We are driving to Crete in 2013 for an extended holiday and will be doing the journey in our Motorhome. (We have flown to Crete for the last 32 years...so this is our big adventure!) Would the route suggested by Steve still be the best one? - Some toll charges are different for a 7.5m vehicle! We also want to use the camping deck facility on the ferry from Italy to Greece. We shall have two dogs with us and want to be in the vehicle with them. We are considering doing either the Bari or Brindisi crossing as they are obviously quicker. We would use the drive down through Italy as a 'holiday' as we are totally 'self-contained'. - Your thoughts and advice please?

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:35 am

The last couple of times I've done a similar trip I've taken the Autostrada north from Ancona, stuck on the east side of Italy, through Austria into Germany and headed for Dunkirk for a ferry to Dover (I was heading for the west of England) and returned on the reciprocal route.

Advantages for me were tolls only on the Autostrada, a low payment (can't remember how much) to get through Austria - on the first occasion I didn't know one had to pay but got away with it as I whizzed through in the small hours of the morning: German Autobahns have no general speed limit but there are a few short stretches with local limits, no tolls anywhere else on the final leg to Dunkirk.

The sea crossing takes a bit longer than from Calais - journey time about 2 hours. We used DFDS ferries which are smaller than on the Calais /Dover route and when we travelled didn't take foot passengers so were not crowded, and quieter.

In a camper van I doubt you're concerned about the lack of speed limits on that route and, if making a holiday of the journey, you may be happy to avoid motorways, too, so no tolls to pay. If you do use the Germany route (and M-ways) the autobahns have rest areas every few kilometres - basically a large(ish) lay-by, shielded from the road by trees/shrubbery - mostly with basic toilet facilities.

As far as ferries are concerned, if you know your return date, it's advantageous to book outbound and return legs together as the main ferry companies give significant discounts off the return. Similarly, if you book Italy/Patra and Piraeus/Crete sailings together there's a discount (in addition to any discount on return bookings if you can book them all together).

There are (as I'm sure you know) masses of regulations about transporting pets internationally and there's lots of information here (and a link to a document detailing the whole trip, including pitfalls and tips, by someone who's done it).

Our first road trip was similar to your plan. We took two weeks from Crete to Calais - Italy to France (avoided Switzerland as their road charge would have been a stupid amount to pay for the approx. 30 minutes we would be using their roads), meandered through France using mainly A roads which were generally close to M-ways which we could use if we felt the need to catch up time (we didn't).

We've done the road trip three times and I've always found the Michelin web site the most useful resource and backed it up from other sources (see here).

P.S. And Steve W's post has great info.

john4d

Postby john4d » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:28 pm

I have done this journey every year since 2005 in a 7.3 metre Motorhome. I have always booked all ferries in advance, Crete - Piraeus, Patra - Ancona or Venice and return. In this way I could take advantage of the 30% + discounts available. One year I booked an open ticket as I wasn't certain when I would return. I had to wait 3 days at Ancona as there was no space on the ferry. (I also had to switch ferry companies as I would had to wait 10 days for a space with the original company) So if you have an open ticket contact the ferry company at least 14 days before you need to travel on that route to acquire a firm booking.

Secondly when you book your advanced ticket ensure that you are charged and issued with a ticket for the correct class of vehicle, particularly for the return leg of your journey, otherwise when you are waiting at the quayside you will be charged for a new ticket (not just the excess) Even if the 'mistake' is made by the ferry company itself you will still be charged for a new ticket without a refund for the original ticket.

Have a pleasant journey, I always find it very enjoyable, taking a different route on the return journey every time.

John
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Maud

Postby Maud » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:17 pm

Hi Fillipos and John, thank you both for such excellent advice and rapid replies. We are West Country based Fillipos and will head to Kent, but take the 'Tunnel' crossing as it is easier with the dogs. We can pick up your route once we arrive at the other end! Thanks for the 'links'. We have a vet in the family so our two already have their passports..... and are about to have the new jabs out for Leishmaniasis. - Optional, but we would rather be safe than sorry!
We fly out to Crete for 10 days on 22nd April, and shall visit the ferry offices in Souda to make sure we are getting the best deals available. The advice about using the same ferry company for all crossings is well worth knowing John, and we shall check all tickets! We hope to spend September/October on Crete, but I think the ferry timetables change to 'Winter' in September. (They do on the Rafina to Andros crossings... which we have done the last few years).They are not published much before August, so we shall find out more in Souda when we are there in April. I might have some more questions for you all later if that is o.k? Thanks again.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:39 pm

Maud wrote:... and are about to have the new jabs out for Leishmaniasis. - Optional, but we would rather be safe than sorry!...

Very wise. I understand there is a major epidemic of this disease on Crete at the moment.

Warwick

john4d

Postby john4d » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:19 pm

Maud

I'm sure you know that the "Camping on Board" service is only a "summer" service, I'm not sure when it finishes but I doubt if it is available in late October. After this the camping deck will be secured during the voyage and you will not have access. The alternative is for you to have your dogs with you in your cabin, one of the companies offers this service. This may determine your choice of ferry company and the ports you sail from.

John
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Maud

Postby Maud » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:16 pm

Hi John,
We had thought of that. I had a look on the Web a few weeks ago and found the information 'posted' in the link below. (Might be of use to others doing the drive this year!). I always like to check up 'in person' if possible, - hence our trip to Souda to the ferry offices in April!

http://www.greekferries.gr/camping.asp

We have decided on September/October for our extended trip, as the roads will be quieter en route, and the temperature will be better for us and the dogs. - I also like a warm sea to swim in! However, if the deck camping doesn't fit in with out timing we might have to resort to a cabin, - or change our dates! It would be so much easier to have the dogs in the vehicle for the long Italy/Greece crossing. Has anyone done the Bari or Brindisi crossings? I think there is a camping deck on the Bari crossing this year, - if websites are to be believed!

Mackie

Re:

Postby Mackie » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:57 pm

Great post Steve. Have you done it again recently? Any changes?
Cheers
Mackie

STEVE.W wrote:OK, I said I would post back with the details of our journey to Crete by road so here we go:
The car was a 2.2L diesel Mercedes, fully loaded & I mean fully loaded! Time of year – November 2012.

DAY 1 (WEDNESDAY) HULL (U.K) TO ZEEBRUGGE (BELGIUM)

We booked the Hull to Zeebrugge ferry (as we live in the North West of England) on a special mini cruise offer (http://www.poferries.com/tourist/miniCr ... Minicruise) for £75 return even though we only used the outward leg, this was quite simply because of the cost, they wanted £120 single so we booked the return. TIP: Include your food at the time of booking your ticket, it is cheaper than paying on board and the food is excellent, cabins very comfortable, if you want any spirits they are cheaper than Crete to buy on board and take over with you but they do not allow you to purchase the spirits or beer and take to your cabin, they give you a ticket & you pick it up from the shop before disembarkation. Cost of a pint of lager on board was £3.50.

This ferry crossing works very well, especially if you live “North of Watford Gap” (yes, life does exist outside London!). On the deal we got above, it included the cabin, the ferry departed at 1830 and arrived in Zeebrugge at 0830, this is perfect as you have had a good nights sleep and are fresh for what is the longest day of the whole journey driving wise.

We did 138 miles today and averaged 48mpg, 2.5 hours driving time. Full tank of fuel before departure £58 for 46L.

DAY 2 (THURSDAY) ZEEBRUGGE (BELGIUM) TO INNSBRUCK (AUSTRIA)

DISEMBARK FERRY & GO SOUTH ON KIELBANKSTRAAT TOWARDS KUSTLAAN/N34a
TURN ONTO KUSTLAAN N34a/N34

MERGE ONTO BARON de MAERELAAN E403/N31 & FOLLOW E403 TOWARDS BRUGGE/BRUSSELS/GENT

AT INTERCHANGE BRUGGE, KEEP RIGHT & FOLLOW SIGNS FOR E40 TOWARDS BRUSSELS/GENT

AT INTERCHANGE 11-17-GROOT-BIJGAARDEN, KEEP RIGHT & FOLLOW SIGNS FOR E40/E19 TOWARDS E411/NAMEN/LUIK/ANTWERPEN/LUCHTHAVEN ZAVENTEM.

MERGE ONTO THE E19

CONTINUE ONTO THE E40

SLIGHT LEFT TO STAY ON THE E40

CONTINUE ONTO R0

AT THE INTERCHANGE LEONARD-LEONARD, KEEP RIGHT AND FOLLOW SIGNS FOR E411 TOWARDS NAMEN/LUXEMBOURG

CONTINUE ONTO THE E25, ENTERING LUXEMBOURG, STAY ON E25 (SIGNS FOR E29/METZ/SAARBRUCKEN/LIVANGE/A3)

TIP: Fill up with fuel in Luxembourg, diesel was 1.276€ per litre, if you smoke, buy hand rolling tobacco here but not cigarettes.

199 MILES SO FAR TODAY TO HERE, 3.5 HOURS DRIVE FROM ZEEBRUGGE, AVERAGE 45MPG, 41 LITRES OF DIESEL 52€

AT THE INTERCHANGE CROIX DE BETTEMBOURG, KEEP RIGHT AND FOLLOW SIGNS FOR A13 TOWARDS E29/SAARBRUCKEN/REMICH/HELLANGE

AT THE ROUNDABOUT, TAKE THE 1st EXIT AND STAY ON THE A13 HEADING TOWARDS REMICH/MONDORF-LES-BAINS/SAARBRUCKEN

ENTERING GERMANY

CONTINUE ONTO THE A8

AT THE INTERCHANGE (JNCT 9) DREIECK SAARIOUIS, KEEP RIGHT & FOLLOW THE SIGNS FOR THE A8 TOWARDS KARISRUHE/MANNHEIM/NEUNKIRCHEN/DILLINGEN-SUD/HAFEN

TAKE EXIT JNCT 15 – PIRMASENS TO MERGE ONTO THE B10 TOWARDS LANDAU

KEEP RIGHT AT THE FORK & FOLLOW SIGNS FOR A65/KARLSRUHE/STRASBURG AND MERGE ONTO THE A65

CONTINUE ONTO THE B10

CONTINUE ONTO THE K9657 AND THEN ONTO THE K9652

TAKE THE EXIT ONTO THE A5 TOWARDS BASEL/ETTLINGEN/A8/STUTTGART

AT THE INTERCHANGE, JNCT 46-DREIECK KARLSRUHE, KEEP RIGHT AND FOLLOW SIGNS FOR THE A8 TOWARDS MUNCHEN/STUTTGART/PFORZHEIM

TAKE EXIT JNCT 62-ULM-WEST TO MERGE ONTO THE B10 TOWARDS ULM/FRIEDRICHSHAFEN

TAKE A SLIGHT LEFT ONTO THE B28

MERGE ONTO THE A7

CONTINUE STRAIGHT TO STAY ON THE A7

ENTERING AUSTRIA

TIP: Try to avoid eating at the motorway services in Germany quite pricey & have some spare change handy 50cent & 1+2€ coins as you have to pay to use the toilets in Luxembourg and Germany but you get your money back via a ticket if you purchase a certain amount in the shops or on a meal.

It may be wiser to fill up at Ulm (or just after it) in Germany before you enter Austria, fuel is a bit cheaper in Germany at the time of our journey.

CONTINUE ONTO FERNPASSSTRABE/GRENZTUNNEL FUSSEN/B179 & CONTINUE TO FOLLOW FERNPASSSTRABE/B179.

KEEP RIGHT AT THE FORK & CONTINUE TO FOLLOW FERNPASSSTRABE/B179

CONTINUE ONTO MIEMINGER STR/B189

TURN RIGHT ONTO MIEMINGER STR/WEIBENBACHG/B189 THEN TAKE THE FIRST LEFT ONTO MAX-FOGER-WEG/MIEMINGER STR/B179

AT THE ROUNDABOUT, TAKE THE 3rd EXIT ONTO ANTON-AUER-STABE/MIEMINGER STR/TIROLER STR/B171/B189 & CONTINUE TO FOLLOW TIROLER STR/B171 GOING THROUGH 2 ROUNDABOUTS

TURN RIGHT TO STAY ON TIROLER STR/B171 & TAKE THE 1st LEFT ONTO B171 & CONTINUE TO FOLLOW TIROLER STR/B171 GOING THROUGH 1 ROUNDABOUT

TURN RIGHT ONTO BACHIECHNER STR/INNSBRUCKER STR/B174 & CONTINUE TO FOLLOW INNSBRUCKER STR/B174 GOING THROUGH 1 ROUNDABOUT

TURN RIGHT ONTO AMRASER STR

CAUTION AT THIS JNCT, TRAMS ETC TURN LEFT ONTO PHILIPPINE-WEISER-STRABE

TIP: We stayed at the hotel Kapeller in Innsbruck http://www.stadthotel-kapeller.at/en/ho ... innsbruck/ it cost 94€ for the 1 night including breakfast for a double room, however, we had to leave the hotel at 0500hrs so no staff were around to make a breakfast so we arranged with the young lady on reception to leave us a cold breakfast, tea, coffee, cereal etc which was no problem. We can highly recommend this hotel, it is only 2km from the motorway for the next morning which takes you straight onto the Brenner Pass, the rooms were brilliant, very modern & clean, free wi-fi & nothing was any bother, we would definitely stay at this hotel again. If you think on, take a travel kettle & your own tea/coffee/UHT milk & sugar, this is very useful on the various ferries & in the hotel.

DO NOT buy the Vingette to use the Austrian motorway, this costs 8€ & we bought it at a petrol station thinking it would save messing about at the toll booths at the Brenner Pass, this was a mistake as you have to pay 8€ again for the Austrian section of the Brenner Pass, if you follow this route, the Brenner Pass is the first road toll you will have to pay.

Fill up BEFORE you get on the Austrian motorway and definitely BEFORE the Brenner Pass as fuel prices over the Brenner Pass are expensive.

We filled up not far from the Hotel in Innsbruck so we were all set for the following day, 57€ for 38.54L & all petrol stations seem to be the same price (except on the Brenner).

TOTAL MILEAGE FROM ZEEBRUGGE TO INNSBRUCK 591 MILES (951 KM), WE AVERAGED 55MPH (89KPH), 46.4 MPG & 12.5 HOURS TOTAL DRIVING FROM ZEEBRUGGE TO INNSBRUCK WITH 2 STOPS, 1 IN LUXEMBOURG FOR 45 MINUTES AND 1 JUST AFTER ULM IN GERMANY FOR 30 MINUTES.

DAY 3 (FRIDAY) INNSBRUCK (AUSTRIA) TO ANCONA FERRY TERMINAL (ITALY)

TURN RIGHT OUT OF THE HOTEL ROAD ONTO PHILIPPINE-WEISER-STABE THEN TURN LEFT ONTO GEYRSTRABE

BEAR RIGHT ONTO AMRASER-SEE-STRABE/INNSBRUCKER STR/B174 & ROAD IS GOING AROUND THE CITY CLOCKWISE.

KEEP RIGHT AT THE FORK FOLLOWING SIGNS FOR BREGENZ/BOZEN/E45/E60/A12/A13/SCHWEIZ/ITALIEN/BRENNER AND MERGE ONTO A12/E45/E60.
PARTIAL TOLL ROAD THIS IS THE BRENNER PASS ONLY PAY THIS TOLL 8€.

KEEP LEFT AT THE FORK ON A13/E45 (PASS A REST AREA ON RIGHT)

GO THROUGH BERGISEL TUNNEL & STAY ON A13/E45, GO THROUGH ANOTHER TOLL AREA

THERE IS A SERVICE AREA BEFORE ITALY WITH A BP PETROL STATION CALLED GRIES WEST & ANOTHER AFTER THIS CALLED OMV AT BRENNERSEE THEN A HUGE TOLL AREA

ENTERING ITALY.....USE DAYTIME HEADLIGHTS

TOLL ROAD AUSTRIAN BORDER TO MODENA TAKE TICKET PAY IN ANCONA

CONTINUE ON A22/E45, NOW GOING THROUGH THE TRUE ALPS WITH SKI RESORTS, PEAKS ETC, EVENTUALY GO OVER A LARGE BRIDGE AT LAKE FORTEZZA , KEEP ON, GO EVENTUALY OVER 3 OTHER BRIDGES & THEN RUN ALONGSIDE LAKE & RIVER DOWN INTO BOLZANO (BOZEN)

STAY ON A22/E45 TOWARDS TRENTO

ROAD FORKS SOMEWHERE, KEEP LEFT AT THE FORK FOLLOWING SIGNS FOR A1/BOLOGNA-ROMA/MODENA AND THEN MERGE ONTO THE A1/E45

TAKE A SLIGHT RIGHT ONTO THE A14/E45

TOLL ROAD BOLOGNA TO ANCONA, MAJOR ROAD WORKS ON THIS STRETCH BUT NO HOLD UPS, ALL SEEMS TO STILL FLOW OK

STAY ON THE A14/E45 WHICH BECOMES A14/E55 AROUND CESENA

TAKE THE EXIT “ANCONA NORD” FOR SS76

AT THE ROUNDABOUT, TAKE THE 2ND EXIT (STRAIGHT ON) ONTO THE SS76 RAMP TO AEROPORTO/FABRIANO/PESARO/ROMA

KEEP RIGHT AT THE FORK FOLLOWING SIGNS FOR PORTO ANCONA/PESARO/ADRIATICA & MERGE ONTO THE SS76

TAKE THE EXIT RIGHT TOWARDS ANCONA/CENTRO/PORTO & MERGE ONTO THE SS16

TAKE THE RAMP/EXIT TO ANCONA CENTRO/AGUGLIANO

MERGE ONTO VIA METAURO

AT THE ROUNDABOUT, TAKE THE 2nd EXIT (STRAIGHT ON) ONTO VIA CONCA, GO DOWN TO THE BOTTOM (SEA IN FRONT OF YOU) AND TURN RIGHT ONTO VIA FLAMINIA (THE SEA IS NOW ON YOUR LEFT THEN INDUSTRIAL/RAILWAY AREA.

AT THE ROUNDABOUT, TAKE THE 3rd EXIT (GOING OFF AT 11 O’CLOCK) ONTO VIA GUGLIELMO MARCONI

AT THE JUNCTION TURN LEFT ONTO MOLO SUD & THEN 1st RIGHT STAYING ON MOLO SUD (BIG HAXAGONAL BUILDING ON YOUR LEFT), STAY ON THIS ROAD AND IT BEARS RIGHT, THEN BEARS LEFT, THEN BEARS RIGHT AGAIN (SEA ALWAYS ON YOUR LEFT). GO STRAIGHT ON & TRIAL AND ERROR FROM HERE TO FIND ANEK.

ANCONA PORT (MOLO SANTA MARIA)
GPS COORDINATES: 43.623153, 13.509064
TIP: Highly recommend a cabin as lounges are noisy, this is more important if you are going from Greece to Italy & have a long drive ahead of you, it is also worth it from Ancona to Greece & you could maybe leave booking a cabin on the Pireaus to Crete leg of the journey to save some money, the cabins are not cheap but it is up to the individual but we think we wouldn’t bother with one on the Pireaus-Crete leg or vice versa as you are only in the cabin for 4-5 hours & it cost the equivalent of £120, you could get a cracking hotel for this money & the cabin was OK but not 5*.

There is supposed to be no smoking in the cabins but we saw Greeks just with the cabin doors open for all to see & smoking & nobody said a thing to them.

Take your own tins of beer/bottles of spirits & mixers if you plan on having a drink on the Ancona/Patras ferry as 3.90€ for half bottle of beer, wine around 20€, 1L of Smirnoff on board 24€, Metaxa 28€ etc in the shop, most things were expensive & you may want to have a drink on this leg of the journey as you are on the ferry for 24-26 hours so it is also a good idea to take your own entertainment as all of the TV is in Greek of course, a laptop, tablet, portable DVD player or something to pass the time. Food was acceptable.

Innsbruck to Ancona was 619km (384 miles), 6 hrs drive time, 0530hrs to 1130hrs (there is miles & miles of roadworks on the toll roads but the traffic still flowed OK), average 103kph (64mph) & average 49.1mpg. Total mileage to Ancona is 1,793km (1,114 miles), 19.5hrs driving time, average 92kph (57mph) & average 47.4mpg. Road Tolls, Brenner Pass (Austria) 8€, Brenner Pass (Italy) to Ancona 37.30€.

DAY 4 – (SATURDAY) PATRAS FERRY PORT (GREECE) TO PIRAEUS FERRY PORT (GREECE)

Not much to say here except turn left out of the ferry terminal and do your best to pick up road signs (which are few and far between) for Athena, there are 2 toll roads 3.10€ & 3.20€.

TIP: Fill up at the BP petrol station across the road at the traffic lights of exit to Patras ferry terminal, 1.38€ (£1.12) per litre, just about the cheapest, 39.49L of diesel 54.50€. Take the toll roads (which are not brilliant until outskirts of Athens which is the 2nd toll you pay, the roads are half finished & appears they have ran out of money) to Piraeus, & you do see a sign or two for the ferry terminal but then they just disappear & you just have to follow your nose, just remember that the sea should be on your right so head that way but do not go to the centre of Piraeus. If you can manage without a cabin for this section, then I would do without as by the time you get to bed, in our case gone 2300, you are up at 0430 for docking in Souda at 0530 & the cost of the cabin for 2 people is 156€ (£127 at current exchange rate), the cabins are nothing special & it would explain why people are just “crashed out” everywhere you look on the various deck levels, we said we would do without a cabin if we did this journey again as you don’t have a long journey at the end either travelling to Crete or to Piraeus.

We would recommend a meal in the a-la-carte restaurant on the Piraeus-Crete route as this was not so expensive, 41€ (£33) for large bottle of water, bread, summer salad (recommended), & we both had fish, the wife sole & I, cod, we then got the usual free sweet & raki which if you decide to go to the self service restaurant, you don’t get & we didn’t find the food in there all that appetising, worth the small amount extra to sit down & be waited upon. We would not recommend the a-la-carte on the Ancona – Patras leg, the self service was good enough.

PATRAS TO PIRAEUS, 214 KM (133 MILES), 3hrs DRIVING TIME, AVERAGE 73KPH (45MPH), AVERAGE 48.3MPG.
TOTAL FOR TRIP FROM NORTH WEST ENGLAND TO PIRAEUS FERRY TERMINAL IS:
2,008 KM (1,248 MILES), 22.5hrs DRIVING TIME, AVERAGE 89KPH (55MPH), AVERAGE 47.5MPG

TOTAL COST IF YOU STAY ONE NIGHT IN A HOTEL & HAVE A CABIN ON ALL FERRIES.......DON’T EXPECT TO GET MUCH CHANGE OUT OF £1,100, ONE WAY!!! BIGGEST COST, THE GREEK FERRIES (& WE DID IT IN LOW SEASON!), THERE IS NO COMPETITION AND PRICES ARE ALL THE SAME ALL BAR MAYBE 1€ OR 2.

BORDER/SECURITY/PASSPORT CHECKS: NONE, NOT A ONE EXCEPT NANNY STATE/SECURITY MAD UK AT HULL FERRY TERMINAL.

STEVE.W

Re: Re:

Postby STEVE.W » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:11 am

[quote="Mackie"]Great post Steve. Have you done it again recently? Any changes?
Cheers
Mackie

Will be doing a Crete-UK trip in a few weeks but will not be detailing it like this. Only changes that I am aware of will be prices of various tolls, fuel etc as all of the roads still exist LOL!

Steve
Expat TV Services & Setup - PM for details

Mackie

Re: Re:

Postby Mackie » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:55 pm

STEVE.W wrote:
Mackie wrote:Great post Steve. Have you done it again recently? Any changes?
Cheers
Mackie

Will be doing a Crete-UK trip in a few weeks but will not be detailing it like this. Only changes that I am aware of will be prices of various tolls, fuel etc as all of the roads still exist LOL!

Steve

:lol:

Found more interesting info on this boat forum (March 16)
Cheers

Return to “Overland to Crete & Ferries”