ferries

Overland driving routes and ferries
Maud

Re: ferries

Postby Maud » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:18 pm

Hi Louise,

I'm glad the Viamare information was useful. - We are booked with them again for April!

I can only reiterate what everyone else has said. It is possible to do the drive from Patra to Piraeus in the same afternoon. We always manage it, and that is in a 7.5m long vehicle with two large dogs to stop and walk 3 times. (Once when we disembark at Patra, once near Corinth, and once before embarkation at Piraeus).

Joan is correct, there are three tolls since 2014, but all cheap, so just keep a few coins handy.

Re the signs to the ferry terminals at Piraeus.....it is a nightmare! Do your homework on Google Earth well! Make sure you know which 'Gate' you are heading for. If you follow your satnav and take the shortest route to the port you will think you have gone wrong..... one minute you are on a highway, and the next you seem to be driving through a built up area. Suddenly you are descending a hill. Half way down there is a small, 'falling down' sign saying port, (might say Piraeus? can't remember.....help someone on this website please!), is hardly visible. I have a feeling it is also only written in Greek! It is a little slip-road and takes you straight down to the port. - The sign is easily missed! I might have some notes on it in my 'log'. If so, I'll up-date this post when I have had time to check my scribblings!

You should still have plenty of time.....even allowing for getting lost at Piraeus, and also for road works on the new Patra/Athens highway.

When are you travelling?

Maud.

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:49 pm

That last sign was the one i missed last time. If you do as i did went straight across straight into Piraeus, took me 3/4 hour to find my way out. Tight narrow streets.

Easy drive from Patra to Piraeus BUT just watch for police with hand held speed guns.

louisejersey

Postby louisejersey » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:38 am

Thanks Maud, not booked yet, but aiming for Bari/ Patras overnight Wed 29th April, then Piraus/ Heraklion the next night.
Thanks for the warning Moggieman, I have a feeling that we will be driving at 2 MPH looking for signs.!

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:34 am

louisejersey wrote:I have a feeling that we will be driving at 2 MPH looking for signs.!
No chance. Anywhere in Greece the speed is either as fast as possible (sometimes faster) or stationary in a traffic jam.

louisejersey

Postby louisejersey » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:01 pm

:D

Maud

Postby Maud » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:23 am

Ahh Moggieman......you know that road sign as well! We have missed it previously and done the same as you. - It's not funny when you are 7.5m long!

When we arrived back in Piraeus from Souda last time the Port Police would not let vehicles out of the main entrance. Instead we were all sent out through a gate further down the quay, but couldn't turn left. (Another policeman stopping us!). We ended up down just about every back street of the port area, and eventually found ourselves on the highway doing the longer route which Warwick mentioned earlier. The narrow backstreets were a nightmare yet again. This time it was no fault of our own, - all due to the b...... police! Phil is right Louise, - everyone drives at 100mph, so there is no chance to turn round, especially as there is never more than a few cms between you and the car behind you!

Take heart though. - On one occasion previously a taxi driver pulled up along side us and asked us if we were trying to get to Patra. (We are quite noticeable at our size and with U.K. plates!). It was still dark, (early morning), and he had seen us going round in circles for 10 minutes so came to our rescue. He told us to follow him, and assuming we were not about to be mugged, (and getting desperate at this stage), we muttered a few sentences I our best Greek and explained our plight. He took us almost to the first toll booths! He must have felt ever so sorry for us! The problem with Athens is that every few months all the roads seem to be dug up and you have to go a different way! I'll make copious notes in April and post them on here, - in the hope that they will help others for a month or two!

Might see you in Bari Louise, although I think we shall be a couple of weeks ahead of you.

Maud.
Last edited by Maud on Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:05 pm

Maud
I've had that problem a couple of times as you exit the boat the police turn you to the right ,up the dock and out of a gate that they again insist you turn right. First time as soon as out of police sight did an illegal (?) u turn. Second time parked up for half an hour had a coffee and came out normal gate.

Will let you know how it is as i'm travelling U.K/ Crete about end of Feb/early March..

Which brings me to does anyone require anything of a reasonable size bringing over, as i'm coming in a estate car, about 2/3 full. Not wishing o make a fortune but would be nice to help cover costs. Chania Area.

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:22 pm

Good idea about parking up at Piraeus and having a coffee if we are not allowed out through the usual 'gate.' - Not easy for us to do a U turn! Thanks for the suggestion Moggieman. The 'Police diversion' is obviously not unusual, but thank goodness we have only ever come across it once before!

I'll keep a look out for any further information on here from you after your next drive out in March. We won't be far behind you.

Maud.

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:50 pm

Maud.
Just interested, which is your usual route down to Ancona. ???

Maud

Postby Maud » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:42 pm

Moggieman, have sent you a PM.

Cheers,

Maud.

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:45 pm

Hi
Have just noticed on the Ancona/Partas ferry route there is no Monday ferries also the Tuesday ferry doesn't arrive in Patras till 2100. This will not give you enough driving time to catch the Piraeus/ Chania ferry. Which also leaves at 2200.

This is till 25th June 2015.

louisejersey

Postby louisejersey » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:05 pm

Hi, my faullt, I didn't make it clear that we are travelling from Bari, not Ancona. We are spending a few days in Pompeii on the way :) x

Maud

Postby Maud » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:45 am

Hi Louise, I think you mentioned Bari earlier on. - Moggieman's post was probably also for my benefit as we are travelling out from Ancona.

Enjoy Pompeii and have a safe trip to Bari. We are sailing a couple of weeks ahead of you. Bari is usually quieter to sail from but Ancona suits us better in April.

I'm sure you are looking forward to your 'move' now. Is it permanent?

Maud.

louisejersey

Postby louisejersey » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:39 pm

Hi Maud, yes, a permanant move I am retiring in 7 weeks :). we rent a house here, can't afford two lots of rent, so are giving up here and renting in Crete. Worst case scenario, if it doesn't work out we'll come back! x

Return to “Overland to Crete & Ferries”