ferries

Overland driving routes and ferries
Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:48 am

I've not taken a dog myself but based on what I have seen, dogs are allowed on the deck areas, e.g. in the outside cafes and I've seen them fighting their way through the rugby scrum they call disembarkation, so being with lots of people is not a problem. I don't think they are allowed in the inside lounges but usually you can get to/from cabins without going through these. When dogs are allowed in cabins they don't need to be in carriers but obviously they must be on a leash at all times.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:30 am

Kilkis wrote:I don't think they are allowed in the inside lounges but usually you can get to/from cabins without going through these.

When dogs are allowed in cabins they don't need to be in carriers but obviously they must be on a leash at all times.
I haven't checked all ferry companies but if you look at the companies' T & Cs you'll probably find that dogs are supposed to be muzzled when in any public area. However, from what little I've seen, that condition doesn't seem to be enforced.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:04 am

I've seen many dogs on ferries of different companies and I've never seen one wearing a muzzle.

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:51 pm

Phaedra, I have sent you a p.m. If you don't get it let me know!

Maud.

louisejersey

Re: ferries

Postby louisejersey » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:58 pm

Hi, well we are just about to book the ferries :D (Thanks Maud for the tip about Viamare) The Bari / Patras ferry arrives at 14.00 and the Piraeus/ Heraklion ferry leaves at 21.00 the same day.. We will have a Sat Nav, but are a bit worried about negotiating the dock area,after the drive across Greece. Time wise, do you think this is feasable , or would we be better off staying overnight between ferries. As usual any thoughts gratefully received

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:45 pm

Depending on what you're driving Patra to Piraeus is only around a couple of hours. The road is generally of decent standard, part motorway and clearly signed until you get to the Piraeus end where signs to the port are virtually non-existent (unless they've improved since I last did the journey about four years ago). Google Earth or Google maps should provide you with enough information to find your way to the docks.

STEVE.W

Postby STEVE.W » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:48 am

I can confirm what Filippos say's, the road is generally good, nearer Athens, a 4-5 lane motorway. One section you have to pay a toll, only 2€ when we did it a couple of years ago. We noticed just one sign for the port but you had to be quick to see that, it really is a case of "follow your nose", once you get to the centre of Pireaus, hang a right basically and head towards the sea, you will find the port. Sat Nav is not brilliant in Greece, I would advise you "look" at your route on Google Earth and try to match that up to your Sat Nav maps inserting points of interest along the way, memory joggers if you like, it worked for us, I only took one wrong turn in Italy on the whole trip from the UK and realised that within 1 minute!

Steve

Joan

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:22 pm

Three tolls (approx. 2 euros each) when we did Piraeus to Patra last week.

Joan

louisejersey

Postby louisejersey » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:43 am

Thank you again everyone. Think we will give it a go, but as we just spent an hour on a recent trip to Derbyshire trying to get out of a village just outside Manchester and back onto the Motorway, could be interesting! x

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:45 pm

Mornings going towards Athens and afternoons going away from Athens tend to be the worst, especially Monday mornings and Friday afternoons. Going towards Athens in the afternoon shouldn't be too bad. It is a road that is being extensively developed and road works tend to cause some delay, as they do everywhere. Usually the worst part is near Corinth and the toll where Atiki Odos starts. Other than that it shouldn't be too bad.

Warwick

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:58 pm

As everyone has said the only problem is finding the docks. Signs are totally non existent. Even after about eight journeys managed last trip to get lost in Piraeus.,
Usually find the sea and keeping it on right find the docks. Roads are good and usually clear coming into Piraeus,a night mare early morning heading (out) for Patras.again trying to get away from docks miss a turning and your in the sticky stuff.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:31 pm

If people really struggle they could try a slightly longer route. Instead of coming off the Corinth - Athens highway near Elefsina and following the coast round to Piraeus you could stay on Atiki Odos until it crosses the main Athens - Thessaloniki highway, E75. Turn right onto that and follow it straight down to Piraeus. That takes you almost all the way to the docks. When you get close you actually see signs for specific ferry routes and which gate to enter the docks at for that route so just follow the signs for Crete.

An intermediate route is to leave the Corinth - Athens highway near Elefsina and follow the coast as far as the Scaramangas shipyards. Then take Athens Avenue towards the centre of Athens until that crosses E75. Again turn onto E75 and follow it virtually right to Piraeus.

Warwick

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:32 pm

Kilkis
That what i did last time, right into the centre of Piraeus, then couldn't find a way out.

Its not easy on your own, trying to see directions whilst watching out for crazy drivers.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:07 pm

It's quite a few years since I did the journey so I can't remember the details. Too many C2H5OH molecules in the brain since then.

I seem to recall it being easy to find the exit from the E75 that takes you straight to the docks but I can't remember what the signs were. Once you get close to the docks every junction seemed to have the specific ferry route signs. The only problem I had was that the signs were very close to the junctions which were often two or three lanes. You can't read the sign at all until you get close and then, if you are in the wrong lane, you can't get into the correct one. Basically it is not that difficult to follow any of them until you get down to the dockside, trying to spot which is the correct gate for your route as you go.

Once you get to the dockside drive along that road in either direction until you find the correct gate. If in doubt, follow the dock round with the ships on your left keeping in the left lane until you get round to gate E3. It's on a corner at some traffic lights. If Gate E3 is open get into the docks there. If E3 is closed keep following the road round to gate E2. I think that is always open and is away from the main front so the traffic should be a bit lighter. You might have to go up a right hand slip lane as you get close to gate E2. Drive through E2 onto the dockside then turn left again so you are now driving with the ships on your right. There are some booking offices down near Gate E3 who can tell you where your particular boat will be docked. Wherever it is I think you should be able to get to it inside the docks.

Warwick

louisejersey

Postby louisejersey » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:21 pm

Lots of helpful advice , thanks all. x

Return to “Overland to Crete & Ferries”