Help!

Overland driving routes and ferries
louisejersey

Help!

Postby louisejersey » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:19 am

Hi everyone,last minute panic. Does anyone have an address for Piraeus docks (Superfast) that i can put in my sat nav (it doesn't do co ordinates) Thanks for any help Louise. x

Kilkis

Re: Help!

Postby Kilkis » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:57 am

Try Selecting Greece as the country, Piraeus as the city, Akti Kondyli as the street and 30 as the number. That should take you to the middle of a fairly short road that runs along one side of the docks. It works on my Tom Tom Via 135.

Once you have got there it shouldn't be difficult to find a suitable gate to enter and then find the correct mooring. E2 and E3 are the correct gates for Crete. If you can get so that you are driving along that road with the port on your left, gate E3 is at the north west corner. That is usually open and there is a combined ANEK/Superfast booking kiosk just inside that gate.

If that gate is closed turn left at the lights on the corner and gate E2, which I think is always open, is a short distance down that road. You will have to go up the right hand slip road to get to it. Once inside You can drive virtually the whole way round the docks so it isn't too important where you enter. If you turn left once inside it will take you back to Gate E3.

You can see the gate layout on this rather crude map, http://www.ferriesingreece.com/ferries-ports-athens.htm The directions I gave put you about where it says E4 on this map which is an exit only gate I think and is usually closed.

Have a good journey.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Mon May 04, 2015 7:11 pm

My Garmin (NVu) has a similar problem. I usually have to resort to navigating to the destination by "swiping" the map, then tap on the destination and setting this point as "destination". It sounds easier than it is because some locations are not easy to recognise on the map.

Another method I've used is to locate the destination on "Google Earth", confirm it by switching to "Street Plan" then getting the coordinates. They can then be typed into the Satnav after appropriate conversion.

I do prefer my TomTom!
Last edited by SatCure on Mon May 11, 2015 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

louisejersey

Postby louisejersey » Sat May 09, 2015 7:58 pm

Hi, i've only just seen this Sorry! well despite the sat nav not workibg at all, we managed to find the port. more by luck than judgement!! Anyway we are here,, thanks all. xx

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun May 10, 2015 8:37 am

louisejersey wrote:... well despite the sat nav not workibg at all, we managed to find the port. more by luck than judgement!! ...

Not relevant for you now but, in case anyone else faces a trip like this, I tend to double up on the sat-nav using Google maps on a tablet. You can save maps to the device so that you don't need WiFi while driving. Split the journey into sections that give you maps that are easily readable and save each one.

Glad you made it. Welcome to Crete.

Warwick

louisejersey

Postby louisejersey » Mon May 11, 2015 3:40 pm

Thanks Warwick, we did actually get lost in Piraus briefly, but went down a ramdom road, and at the bottom was a big sign with the gate numbers!

Return to “Overland to Crete & Ferries”