Touring Island on Moped

Overland driving routes and ferries
Lobster

Touring Island on Moped

Postby Lobster » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:23 pm

Hello, New to the Forum !

I'm planning a coastal trip during April and May 2016, touring the island on a moped.
Would anyone be able to give me a few pointers please?
Not sure weather to buy a Moped or Rent? Hoping to stay in budget Pensions/Rooms as i travel around.

Thank you David.

Kilkis

Re: Touring Island on Moped

Postby Kilkis » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:43 pm

It might be easier to rent. If you want to buy you would at least have to get yourself a Greek tax number and probably jump through some sort of residency hoops. Not that easy if you don't have any form of permanent/semi-permanent address here.

Bring some waterproofs and some warm clothes. While the weather in April/May is not bad it still rains some of the time and, from my experience of riding a motorbike at that time of year, you keep hitting pockets of really cold air. A thick padded jacket of some sort rather than multiple layers might be best. If it is sunny you still need it on when you are riding but need to get it off quick when you stop. The first time I came at Easter I only brought a thin cotton jacket and I was absolutely freezing on the bike. The next time I brought a biker style leather jacket and that was fine.

You might find that a lot of the smaller budget accommodation and some of the bike rental places are still closed in April. Some don't open until the Pascha weekend and that is 1 May in 2016. Worth using t'interweb and finding out what is and isn't open.

Warwick

Lobster

Postby Lobster » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi Warwick, That's great thanks for the information. I've not been at that time of year, so suitable clothing for all weathers will be high on my list. Thx for the prompt reply Dave

papacharlie

Postby papacharlie » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:07 am

Sorry if this 'rains on your parade' but first have you got the right driving licence it should have A1 or A to drive a moped in Greece although P category is allowed in the UK not so in Greece.
I live at the east side of the island and some of the main roads are not the best paved I have seen so I have a 150cc scooter which some what allows me to travel in the middle of the road at the same speed as the cars/lorry's.
Also the police are famous for waiting at the side of the road and stopping vehicles as they pass to check your paperwork and they have all the technology to check 'road tax' and insurance. If it was me I would submit to being a tourist and hire a car. Yours hardened (legal) biker

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:31 pm

I tend to agree with you, papacharlie, that I wouldn't attempt it on a 50 cc bike. I hired an 80 cc one once and had to get off and walk beside it with the engine running and in gear to get up the slightest hill*. I wouldn't ride anything less than 250 cc and currently have a 600 cc Honda. I disagree about getting a car instead, however. Bikes are much better than cars for touring round on in Crete. See something interesting and you can usually just pull over to the side of the road and stop for a better look. You can rarely do that in a car without blocking all the traffic. If Lobster doesn't have a full bike licence then why not do a crash course and get one. Then he could hire something decent.

Warwick

* Before you comment Scooby, I know I have more inertia than most people.

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:45 pm

Kilkis wrote:.....why not do a crash course .......
A serious suggestion, Warwick?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:31 am

Well obviously the organisations offering this type of condensed training, and there are quite a few, don't refer to them as "crash courses" but most people taking them call them that. You can go from never having sat on a bike to holding a full license in about 5 days. If you have some experience then it might even be quicker.

Warwick
Last edited by Kilkis on Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

allan

Postby allan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:25 pm

Crash test..lol

My wife has been riding motorbikes for many years but an accident can still happen.

Allan

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:07 pm

allan wrote:Crash test..lol...

Oooops! Post now edited to "crash course" as I put in my earlier course. Freudian slip?

Warwick

ScotinCrete

Postby ScotinCrete » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:34 pm

Until you get used to the 'grip' available then a 600 might be a bit hot for most of the roads?
At least in April May you can wear light protective clothing without heat exhaustion!! Remember to fight the temptation to follow the local custom to ignore helmet, gloves etc or the tourist idea of safety sandals and swim shorts :roll:
Have you driven/ridden on the island before to get used to some of the foibles of greek driving?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:03 pm

I wasn't recommending anybody should hire a 600 cc bike, simply commenting that I currently ride one. When I used to visit Crete on holidays I found 250 cc was a good compromise and I prefer a traditional road bike style. Not too powerful that it was likely to get you into trouble but powerful enough that you could get out of trouble when necessary. Personally I would avoid scooters. I had one back in the 60s and, having rode both, a motorbike is far more stable. I would also avoid chopper style bikes. The feet forward riding position looks cool but it is not comfortable. You can't take the weight on your feet briefly to relieve pressure on your bum. They also have a nightmare rear seat. Trail type bikes have some advantages, in that the long stroke suspension soaks up Crete's far from smooth road surfaces, but I don't find the narrow, steeply sloping seats very comfortable.

One good thing about April/May is that the roads have had a thorough hosing down in the winter so the surface is as good as it gets. In September they have had several months to accumulate a protective coating of diesel and tyre rubber. Add water from a sudden downpour and you have an almost perfect skid pan.

I think tourists and ex-pats, who are new to Greece, don't really understand that every local has some sort of direct/indirect contact who can make tickets disappear. That's why they are so lax about things like crash helmets, parking, one way streets etc. They still get stopped and issued with tickets but they rarely need to pay them. The visitor doesn't have this luxury. Definitely a case of "When in Rome, DON'T do as the Romans do". Interestingly the locals are far more cautious and law abiding when they are away from their locale since their contacts won't usually work when they are away from home.

Warwick

ScotinCrete

Postby ScotinCrete » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:18 pm

I agree about October BTW - I still try and avoid the downhill right hander coming out of Tsivaras during the first month of rain! I never like rear wheel steering on the track but on the road :!:
Scooter v chopper v 'real' bike. I remember bike forums where fights broke out on that topic :D
Whatever you choose David it sounds like a fantastic idea - have a stopover in Kalyves and glad to meet for a beer!

Dave

sandboy2

Postby sandboy2 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:05 pm

It is noted the inscrutable Lobster reserves further counsel, following the escalation of his charming planned sojourn aboard a Norman Nippy, from leisurely jaunt to running amok on a Chopper down the Island's superhighways. He has of course, been wisely advised against the hasty purchase of a means of transport when an assortment of options to be tested and proven are readily available, and in view of Crete's mountainous terrain a conveyance of suitable horsepower selected. Needless to say, contributors to this website shall await with much interest and expectation, a blow-by-blow account of this adventure and as the last poster suggests, the Lobster may, if he wishes, enjoy a welcome at various stages along the route.

Lobster

Postby Lobster » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:04 pm

Hello Again,

Thanks for all the replies and handy info. Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I need to change my settings on here and get notifications.
All set for my trip- 1 may to 6th June.
I've chosen a 250cc on your advice,3 large scale maps and appropriate clothing.

Would be good to buy you a beer . i'm Contactable on Lobstersplaice@aol.com or Whatsapp 07760883056 which I'll check periodically on my travels.

Is Satnav worth considering? in addition to the maps ? have a Tomtom for europe?

Thanks again for help David

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:53 pm

Lobster wrote:...Is Satnav worth considering? in addition to the maps ? have a Tomtom for europe?

Thanks again for help David

Glad you're all set to go. Enjoy your adventure. It should be fun. Probably the perfect time period to do it.

No harm in bringing one if you have one already but you will probably need to get a bike mount for it. Also I'm not sure how you would get power to it. My bike certainly doesn't have a handy cigarette lighter socket. You will probably need to look up locations on Google Earth first and enter the lat/long coordinate of your destination. You are not going to get away with a post code and a house number like you can in the UK. I've only ever used maps together with a hope and a prayer here.

Warwick

Return to “Overland to Crete & Ferries”