Touring Island on Moped

Overland driving routes and ferries
Jeffstclair

Re: Touring Island on Moped

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:34 am

Great news ,I hope you have a good trip....I friend of visited me on his motorbike last year ,I gave him full directions using good tarmac roads (which he ignored) and sat nav got him here on the back roads over rocks and gravel and around goats and sheep ...all this on a Honda blackbird ...nice bike but not built for off roading ...he was in need of a stiff drink when he got here .....jeff

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:59 am

Jeffstclair wrote: ...all this on a Honda blackbird ...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Warwick

PS To understand that comment conjure up image of Homer Simpson thinking about doughnuts.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:51 am

So do you fancy one Warwick? for those of you that don't know what a Honda Blackbird is ...

peebee

Postby peebee » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:14 pm

I once had a BMW R1200RT on loan while my sporty BM was being serviced.
It was without doubt the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden, adjustable wind-shield, cruise control, the works.
That would be my personal choice for touring.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:21 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:So do you fancy one Warwick? for those of you that don't know what a Honda Blackbird is ...

My mind says yes, but my back says no. Also I don't think it is ideal for Greek roads. I'll stick with my CBF 600. To be honest I would be quite happy now with a 250 cc but the size of a 250 cc frame and the size of my frame are no longer compatible.

Interesting colour scheme. Just like when Kawasaki brought out the "big stiff pink one" many years ago.

Warwick

Lobster

Postby Lobster » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:06 pm

Hello Warwick
Thanks . with maps and the sat nav I should be ok. have now got an adapter to wire onto the battery.
having not used sat nav other than the uk. I was impressed by the crete road network on there.
If you're up for a days biking or a beer let me know .Thanks for the tips regards David

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sun May 01, 2016 11:37 pm

I had a cigar lighter socket fitted (badly, as it transpired)* to my 50 cc "Daytona Sprinter". However, it's quite impossible to see the screen of my "TomTom Start 25" in normal sunlight. In addition, the sucker doesn't stick reliably to the handlebar plastic cowling. So I need to have a think.

*Wires wrapped around the battery terminals and no fuse. :roll:

The bike manages to pull my slightly dumpy body around at up to 60 km/h on the flat and 20 km/h uphill in 2nd gear. I've only once found a hill that required 1st gear. I'm going to upgrade to 125cc when funds permit. (I don't trust myself on anything more powerful.)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon May 02, 2016 12:31 pm

SatCure wrote:... 50 cc "Daytona Sprinter"...

Isn't that phrase an example of an oxymoron?

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Tue May 03, 2016 7:21 pm

It certainly is. But I chose the bike, not the name. :oops:

Actually, I'm amazed that it manages to achieve 60 km/h on a flat road. But 20 km/h uphill is typical and I have to over-inflate the tyres to achieve that!

bike_F7845.jpg
bike_F7845.jpg (45.18 KiB) Viewed 1366 times

Return to “Overland to Crete & Ferries”