UK gov't updates

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
RIFF

UK gov't updates

Postby RIFF » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:51 pm

Hi people-I'm sure that most of you are aware of this, but for those of you that aren't, you can register for regular updates via email at :
gov.uk.email@notifications.service.gov.uk..

Hope this works (and helps!)

Rob

Voni

Re: UK gov't updates - important info for UK Nationals

Postby Voni » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:54 am

Published on the 21st December see link below entitled Important information for UK nationals.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-uks-exi ... -nationals

Voni

Re: UK gov't updates

Postby Voni » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:10 am

Latest information on citizens rights in the case of no deal.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... Brexit.pdf

Paragraph 22 might be relevant for some :

“22. We understand that access to healthcare is vital and can confirm that UK nationals who returned to the UK permanently in a ‘no deal’ scenario would have access to NHS-funded healthcare on the same basis as UK nationals already living here. They would also be able to register to vote in local and national elections.”

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:22 am

Voni wrote:...Paragraph 22 might be relevant for some :

“22. We understand that access to healthcare is vital and can confirm that UK nationals who returned to the UK permanently in a ‘no deal’ scenario would have access to NHS-funded healthcare on the same basis as UK nationals already living here. They would also be able to register to vote in local and national elections.”

Hold the front page! Urgent news flash! The UK government intends to treat UK citizens who have dared to live abroad like other UK citizens who haven't. How bloody generous of them.

Warwick

Voni

Postby Voni » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:21 pm

Serious life changing decisions being made by the UK government who denied the vote to those who might be affected most by the outcome of the referendum.

Despite promises, the bill to grant voting rights to long term UK ex-pats abroad is yet to receive Royal Assent, second reading due at the end of February......IF there is another referendum would it be put in to law in time?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gove ... ht-to-vote

Voni

Re: UK gov't updates - right to vote

Postby Voni » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:44 pm

Just a thought...don’t confuse right to vote with MP representation - every UK citizen is represented by the current MP for the constituency where they last lived, it doesn’t matter how long you have lived outside the UK.

If you wish to let your MP know how BREXIT is affecting you and/or ask for their support it is easy to do and they should reply within two weeks.

https://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/contact-your-mp/

Apologies for going off thread....

Sinkingslowly

Postby Sinkingslowly » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:40 pm

Voni wrote:Just a thought...don’t confuse right to vote with MP representation - every UK citizen is represented by the current MP for the constituency where they last lived, it doesn’t matter how long you have lived outside the UK.

If you wish to let your MP know how BREXIT is affecting you and/or ask for their support it is easy to do and they should reply within two weeks.

Unfortunately my MP in the UK is a member of the ERG and a hard Brexit supporter.
He has already told me, in writing, that he will not represent the views of anyone in his constituency who did not vote leave.

Not much chance there.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:39 pm

Voni wrote:Just a thought...don’t confuse right to vote with MP representation - every UK citizen is represented by the current MP for the constituency where they last lived, it doesn’t matter how long you have lived outside the UK.

How does that work then? What MP in his/her right mind is going to 'represent' a constituent who last lived in the UK 20 years ago and has subsequently lost all voting rights in the UK? Don't quite get the subtlety, nor did I find it in the link you posted. Bob.

PS. I get more joy out of an MP from another constituency. The one in my old one totally ignored me letters.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:56 pm

I sent a question to an MP who was minister for the department to which the question referred. I got a reply saying that parliamentary protocol decreed that she could not deal with my question unless I was a constituent and asked for my precise address. How is that going to work if you no longer live there? She also gave me an email address to use in case the question related to her department. I sent the question there but never received any sort of reply, not even an acknowledgement. The idea that MPs are there to represent you is very tenuous and the concept that the purpose of government is to represent the people is total nonsense.

Warwick

PS Direct quote from the email:

As the Member of Parliament for Romsey and Southampton North, strict parliamentary protocol means I can only respond to my own constituents.

If you have not already provided your address, I would be grateful if you could resend your email with your address and contact details.

Voni

Postby Voni » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:06 pm

I know.....I know....it’s disgraceful the way some MPs respond to ligimate concerns.

Since the BREXIT issue I have taken to writing to mine and other MPs - MPs outside my constituency never respond as it breaks their code of ethics (although strictly speaking their official guidance states that they should acknowledge correspondence and pass it on to my local MP).

The usual replies I get are of questionable value and often show a total ignorance of matters I have raised...but I write to raise my voice in the hope that it MIGHT make some sort of difference...all I can do really.

People must make their own choices about how they want to raise things that affect them, I simply thought it might be helpful to provide a link which would enable people to contact their MPs should they wish to do so.

The info re the MP representation Bob came from an old newsletter I had from ECREU (Expats Citizen Rights in the EU - a lobby group).

https://www.ecreu.com/pdfs/erceu-newsletter-feb-18.pdf

Voni

Postby Voni » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:41 pm

Just out today official government advice for people living in Italy...It specifically mentions what will happen in the case of no deal.

I know we still await Greece guidelines but this statement from the document will no doubt be welcome:

“In the event a no deal, the Italian Government has confirmed that legislative measures are currently being prepared to ensure that UK nationals legally resident in Italy before 29 March 2019 will have the right and necessary time to obtain long-term residency status under EU Directive 2003/109. In this way UK nationals will continue to enjoy rights such as access to healthcare, social benefits, employment, education and family reunification after the UK leaves the EU.”

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-i ... =immediate

As soon as anything official on Greece pops into my in box I’ll post it immediately.

Voni

Postby Voni » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:27 pm

Spain have agreed to maintain the rights of uk nationals living in Spain in the event of no deal...still awaiting Greece.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-s ... =immediate

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:36 pm

It would be interesting to know if Italy and Spain have simply decided to do this of their own volition, like the UK has promised to protect EU citizens rights in the event of a no-deal, or there has been bilateral negotiation between the UK and Spanish/Italian governments.

Warwick

BST

Postby BST » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:11 pm

"It would be interesting to know if Italy and Spain have simply decided to do this of their own volition, like the UK has promised to protect EU citizens rights in the event of a no-deal, or there has been bilateral negotiation between the UK and Spanish/Italian governments." Warwick

I have felt all along that the problems (if any) would be from the British side as opposed to the countries expats reside in. It's all very well Italy and Spain saying they will honour healthcare rights etc... but what if the UK pulls the plug on reciprocal arrangements. I don't think Italy and Spain would provide free healthcare for expat residents.

Voni

Postby Voni » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:01 pm

Apart from the withdrawal Agreement (which guarantees citizens rights), of some concern is the fact that I can’t find any published evidence of direct UK pressure on EU member states towards securing the rights of UK nationals in the EU after BREXIT.

Most vocal in the fight to get reciprocal rights for UK citizens seems to be lobby groups i.e. British in Europe etc.

Below is a lengthy document so I suggest you use the index to focus in on any topics of your interest - this extract however, gives you the flavour of what seems to be the UK governments position.

24. We welcome the Home Secretary’s clear commitment that EU citizens living lawfully in the UK will be able to stay in the event of No Deal, and call on Member States to make similar public commitments to assure all UK citizens living in their territory that their rights will also be safeguarded in such circumstances. We note that the European Parliament has pursued this issue and we trust that they will continue to do so. (Paragraph 113)

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/c ... 9/1439.pdf

Indeed yesterday in parliament Sajid Javid spoke in some length about the rights of EU citizens in the UK (deal or no deal) and at the end of his speech he noted that not all EU member states had recognised reciprocal rights of UK citizens and he “urged” them to do so without further delay. Yes, he used the word “urge”.

As regards future funding for reciprocal healthcare BST, the Healthcare (International Arrangements) Bill continues it’s journey towards royal assent - this bill puts in place legal powers to enable the UK to fund healthcare for UK citizens in the EU after BREXIT in the event of a no deal.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... ter-brexit

As a side issue the UK Government have announced that in the UK:

EU nationals can continue to use Egates at borders
EU driving licences can be used
EU pet passports will be recognised

Non of the above have been agreed by the EU for UK citizens/documents

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”