International driving permits for UK drivers from 28 March 2019

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
YoMo2

Re: International driving permits for UK drivers from 28 March 2019

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:44 pm

Yes, ditto. Having checked some months ago and found no post office within any kind of sensible distance, I now find several close by that are allegedly doing IDPs.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:10 pm

I think your use of the word "allegedly" might be appropriate, Andrew. I have just heard from a friend who went to a post office in Northampton to get an IDP today. She was told that they couldn't issue one because they hadn't received the necessary forms. There are five post offices in the Northampton area, including the one she went to, all claiming to issue IDPs. They suggested she went to Luton. When it comes to the UK government, sayings about the "ability to organise a party with the intent of becoming inebriated in the environs of a brewing establishment" spring to mind.

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:49 pm

We have had a busy week, so have not had chance to get to the post office yet. The PO websites are bizarre....there seems to be more than one! Our village post office features on one for IDP’s (one mile away) but in the nearest town one features on another. (Fifteen miles away). I shall ring our village postmaster on Monday and find out what is happening.

We are not yet 70, but will get there within three years, therefore any IDP will only last until we need a new licence at 70. To complicate matters, we drive our motorhome to and from Kriti, as it has always been the easiest way to transport the dogs and cat, Sadly we have lost both dogs very recently, however the cat will still be travelling with us in March, so we shall drive out as usual. Our vehicle is over 3.5t, so when we get to 70 we will have to have a medical to renew our licences and keep the C1 category. (U.K. requirements). The cost for that at our U.K. surgery is £80. - It obviously needs to be done in the U.K. as we have U.K. licences! Life is complicated enough without Brexit!

Phild

Postby Phild » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:52 pm

I've just checked the Post Office website again, and the FAQ section of the page:
https://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit#IDP-Checker

now specifically states:

Can someone apply for an IDP on my behalf?
Yes they can, providing they have the correct supporting documents.

So, if you are lucky enough to have someone to apply for you in the UK, you should have no problem (except that you will obviously be without your driving license for a couple of weeks while it is being done)
----
Phil
----

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:12 pm

Someone can only apply on your behalf if you have a photocard licence. Anybody with the old paper style licence must apply in person.

The reason is pretty obvious. The person submitting the application at the post office presents the applicants licence and a photo of the applicant. The person issuing the IDP can compare the photo they are going to attach to the IDP to the one on the photocard licence and ensure that it is the same person. In the case of a paper licence there is no photo to compare. The photo may be of a completely different person.

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:02 pm

If anyone wants an IDP I can do it for you as I am now in the UK.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Phild

Postby Phild » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:33 pm

Kilkis wrote:Someone can only apply on your behalf if you have a photocard licence. Anybody with the old paper style licence must apply in person.

The reason is pretty obvious. The person submitting the application at the post office presents the applicants licence and a photo of the applicant. The person issuing the IDP can compare the photo they are going to attach to the IDP to the one on the photocard licence and ensure that it is the same person. In the case of a paper licence there is no photo to compare. The photo may be of a completely different person.

Warwick

It does seem to imply that anyone can apply on your behalf, if they have supporting identity documents, perhaps such as a passport in the case of the old style license. There would, in this case, be a photo in the passport to compare with the photo supplied to attach to the IDP. This seems quite logical to me. Of course, logic isn't necessarily the way things are done in the real world...

...but I am willing to give it a try and see what happens - at least I won't have to spend €500 on an unnecessary trip back to the UK in the near future.
----

Phil

----

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:42 pm

They seem to be changing the advice on a regular basis. The last time I read it the Post Office web site definitely said that you had to apply in person if it was an old paper licence. That advice has now vanished. Perhaps Chris Grayling has been writing the advice for them?

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:32 am

Phild wrote:I've just checked the Post Office website again, and the FAQ section of the page:
https://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit#IDP-Checker
now specifically states:
So, if you are lucky enough to have someone to apply for you in the UK, you should have no problem (except that you will obviously be without your driving license for a couple of weeks while it is being done)

I just followed the link provided and on the opening page there's a list of what's required. There are four check-boxes, the fourth of which is, "Original valid passport as proof of identification, if presenting an older paper version licence ".
That sounds as though it applies to all paper licences whoever is physically applying, self or A. N. Other.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:13 am

I think, and I stress think, it means that if it is a paper licence the person submitting the application has to have the passport of the person the IDP is for.

Say you still have English licences and Maggie was back in the UK on a visit but you were in Crete. She could go to a post office and apply for an IDP for both herself and you. If your licences were photocard licences she would need both photocard licences, photographs of both of you and her passport. If your licence was a paper licence she would need those things plus your passport.

Less than a week ago the advice was different so who knows what it will be in a weeks time? Perhaps Chris Graying will have contracted it out and everybody will need to send their licences to a factory that makes cow bells in Lichtenstein?

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:54 pm

Kilkis wrote:
Less than a week ago the advice was different so who knows what it will be in a weeks time? Perhaps Chris Graying will have contracted it out and everybody will need to send their licences to a factory that makes cow bells in Lichtenstein?

Warwick

That'll be a new start-up in Lichtenstein then? Just need to find suitable premises!

Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:56 pm

...and a foreign backer.

Warwick

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:06 pm

Got my IDP yesterday. Thought I would have to go to Plymouth. Checked again and found that Tavistock had been added to participating offices. Yippeee. Took 20 minutes. I had passport, photo driving licence and passport sized pic. Some confusion transferring class of vehicles for which I'm qualified on to IDP, but sorted eventually. I had to sign thee IDP (So how can anyone else apply on your behalf?) They didn't look at my passport. Photo driving licence was enough.

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:12 pm

Did mine today, in and out 15 mins. All that was needed a photo, licence and £5.50. Must say surprised how easy. Had i think the same problem as "jackdaw" as don't seem to understand when you have multi driving classes on your licence. Had to explain HGV entitlements.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:06 am

Just got my IDP needed passport/Fee of 5.50 plastic card licence and 10 mins of time called into five large post office and they all did this service as for getting IDP for someone else don't think it is possible and also being in possession of a passport that is not your own would be a bit of a grey area for all you law abiding people on this forum.

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”