The Will of the People

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
scooby

Re: The Will of the People

Postby scooby » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:59 pm

Well Jeff I Hope the remain camp don’t take them seriously like yourself and they didn’t watch the launch.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:06 am

scooby wrote:Good launch by the new brexit Party today. The Tories and Labour better not underestimate them, no wonder May doesn’t want the European elections to happen. Nigel has hit the ground running. You can see on you tube the speeches in full, I can see them gathering pace very quickly.

I think the European elections are probably an irrelevance as far as the UK's temporary participation in the new parliament, however, a reinvigorated brexit party could very well come into its own in a General Election (a strong possibility given the deadlock). Even allowing for a drop in support for brexit there are likely still 15 - 17 million leave voters, some or many of whom may feel that they can't vote for either mainstream party, given those parties' ineptitude throughout the brexit process. A bloc of brexit party MPs in a new HoC might make for interesting times.

Tim

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:30 am

Now I am a fully paid up member of the Brexit party the first time I have ever joined any political party in my life I thought their MEP candidate Annunziata Rees-Mogg sounded good she will cause some fun if elected bring on the revolution :D

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:55 am

It is extremely difficult in a first past the post voting system for new parties to make major inroads. That was illustrated at the last general election if you compare the number of votes UKIP attracted to the number of seats won.

All the evidence suggests that, before the referendum, the vast majority of people in the UK couldn't care less about the EU or whether the UK was in it or out of it. Most people never ever thought about it. I suspect that if sections of the media hadn't run a campaign over decades blaming every economic woe on the EU and immigrants nobody would care outside the Westminster bubble.

Most became engaged with the EU question purely because there was a referendum, all the campaigning around it and the massive media attention. A very large number were very conflicted about which way to vote but in the end came down on one side or the other. The number of ardent leavers or ardent remainers is quite small. You can see reality on this forum. It has almost 3,600 members but it is a handful that contribute to this debate. I think in a general election parties like the Brexit party and Change UK will affect the vote by disrupting votes for other parties but will not gain a significant representation themselves. I suspect that they may do better in the EU Parliamentary elections where voter turnout is normally low and so likely to be dominated by voters who do feel strongly about the EU one way or the other.

Warwick

PS Annunziata Mary Rees-Mogg stood as a Conservative candidate for Somerset and Frome in the 2010 general election and was beaten by a Liberal Democrat. I hope Farage is going to find her a constituency with a massive leave vote in 2016 or I don't think she has much of a chance. It is reported that Cameron asked her to change her name to Nancy Mogg but she refused. Annunziata Mary is quite a conservative name by Rees-Mogg standards.

Philb

Postby Philb » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:59 am

I love their website

https://thebrexitparty.com

Toebs

Postby Toebs » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:04 am

Tim wrote:a reinvigorated brexit party could very well come into its own in a General Election (a strong possibility given the deadlock).

I think given the last couple of years people are better informed about what leaving means - the various choices which have to be made, the important distinction between hard out and soft out. The party will need - hopefully - to set out exactly what it means by out. It will have to say whether the Irish border is to be open or closed, etc. I think it will be a hard out party, and so will actually only obtain the hard out vote, which is still a lot - 25% of those who voted in the referendum.

I'm not sure how much this will actually change Parliament - the hard out vote has representation now in Parliament, and in general, broadly speaking, I'd expect that representation to be unchanged in size, but changed in ownership (hard out Cons MPs perhaps being replaced by Brexit MPs).

It migh even in some way be a relief to Cons MP - if TIG splits the Labour vote, and Brexit splits the Cons vote, we go back to business-as-usual for Cons/Labour and in fact the Cons MPs then are being elected by pro-european voters.

There is one other factor to consider, which is Corbyn. I may be wrong, but I think a lot of Cons voters, push comes to shove, would vote Cons in a GE rather than risk Labour getting in.

Toebs

Postby Toebs » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:10 am

Kamisiana wrote:Now I am a fully paid up member of the Brexit party the first time I have ever joined any political party in my life I thought their MEP candidate Annunziata Rees-Mogg sounded good she will cause some fun if elected bring on the revolution :D

I've been thinking about joining the Cons, in case there's a leadership election, to support a pro-European candidate.

Political party membership becomes a proxy for Parliament.

Toebs

Postby Toebs » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:12 am

Philb wrote:I love their website

https://thebrexitparty.com

Oh my! :-)

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:41 am

The Brexit Party: Let’s kick the establishment. And here is one of our first candidates, whose father was editor of the Times, whose brother is a multi millionaire MP, and who has written articles about how wonderful it is to drive her Bentley.

“Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss”. The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:10 pm

The only thing that is certain just now is that we are in for some turbulent times. The new BREXIT party will be re-hashing the old lies and half-truths that UKIP (et al) did before the referendum and pushing for an immediate hard BREXIT; the Tories and Labour both have no idea at all where they are heading and the poor old Tories (can I be saying that??) don't even know who is going to lead them to wherever the 'guiding light' takes them. Labour are stuck with Corbyn so at least most people know what's going on there (vide Assange is a case in point). There will be those who read everything in the tabloids as it were the Gospel from on high; those who read the more measured tones in some of the other papers with a mixture of cynicism tinged with hope; and those who, 'Frankly My Dear' don't give a damn. There will also be those who either support Sky or the BBC and steadfastly believe everything they say or dismiss everything as Fake News! Such, sadly, is the way the Great British Public is portraying itself to the world right now.

So where from here? Before all of that gets a head of steam, 'ask the Great British Public again' seems to be the only answer. The very idea is hated by many, espoused by many - but given that there has been a lot of talk about the PM having several goes at getting her deal through (you got it wrong the last 3 times, let's have another go and see if you can get it right this time) why not? Stop the twaddle about a second referendum being a betrayal of the Will of the People. Poppycock. Everyone has the choice to change their mind so why not give that chance to 'The People'? Fear, bigotry, hatred. Yuk. All too prevalent these days. Let's get real for once and take a second look at it all. If it's a different result, so be it. If it's the same result, so be it. Just let's get on with it and avoid all this b****y posturing before it's too late! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

BST

Postby BST » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:26 pm

Wonder if Nigel will actually have the time to spend in the UK to promote his party or if he will be sneaking off to Europe as usual to see to more urgent matters. :roll: Aren't the Moggies spending all their time moving their money around to avoid taxation? Oh well.... I guess their are some people who STILL will be fooled by them!

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:15 pm

Kamisiana wrote:Now I am a fully paid up member of the Brexit party the first time I have ever joined any political party in my life I thought their MEP candidate Annunziata Rees-Mogg sounded good she will cause some fun if elected bring on the revolution :D

Here’s some background on Annunziata for you.

https://twitter.com/shera_marley/status ... 94433?s=21

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:02 pm

Guy M wrote:

Here’s some background on Annunziata for you.

https://twitter.com/shera_marley/status ... 94433?s=21

Nothing wrong with Annunziata I would Vote for Attila the Hun as long as he was Eurosceptic and willing to knock the EU elite rulers off their high horse.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:58 pm

Kamisiana wrote:...I would Vote for Attila the Hun as long as he was Eurosceptic and willing to knock the EU elite rulers off their high horse.

You mean the duly elected prime minister or president of each of the 28 member states and the 751 MEPs elected in constituencies across the EU?

Warwick

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:58 am

Maybe it is a matter of which elite you want to rule you - the European one or the British one. They are both elected, after all.

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”