The Will of the People

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
Jeffstclair

Re: The Will of the People

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:58 pm

In my humble opinion ...neither of them have the skills or the temperament for public service ...

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:02 pm

No Maud my problem is stereotyping people who believe Brexit and you prove my stereotype of teachers from my school days with your manner only you can be right.

Maud

Postby Maud » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:02 pm

I think you could be right Scooby.

Sadly I agree with Jeff. Maybe we should all make predictions as to where all this is going....and the winner will get free membership of the forum from Carol! - I need to keep a sense of humour here, otherwise I would be having sleepless nights!

Toebs

Postby Toebs » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:31 pm

Kamisiana wrote:No Maud my problem is stereotyping people who believe Brexit and you prove my stereotype of teachers from my school days with your manner only you can be right.

That's uncalled for.

We can dispute the reasoning used, but to not do so, and rather simply say someone is wrong *because they are*, which is pretty much what you're doing here, that's not okay. This isn't a mud slinging mach.

Maud has, as far as I've ever seen, been polite and respectful in all her posts. You should extend to her the same politeness and respect she extends to you.

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:25 am

Back on topic, another great website is https://sluggerotoole.com/.

Whatever your view is on Brexit to remain or leave it is worth a read to find opinions you want to know more about. I grew up with News being fed to me passively on TV and the mostly London HQ'd MSM giving me a version of what they want us to know...the BBC is heavily influenced by the political class becoming more obvious in bias accusations made. Nowadays, to find out what is going on you have to be proactive and go look for it.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:33 pm

Funny how this thread gets completely manic for a few days at a time, then the exchanges stop dead -- like a couple of punch-drunk boxers collapsed exhausted in the corners of the ring. Or maybe it's just too hot to bother repeating the same tired old arguments and a nice cold beer in a beach taverna is a better option. Cheers all ;-))

Philb

Postby Philb » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:11 pm

Let us assume that Johnson manages to keep the lid on his personal excesses in various areas and continue to deflect from his failings as London mayor (bridge project, buses with faulty doors, purchasing illegal water cannons) and as Foreign Sec (Nazanin Zaghari Ratcliffe, and numerous other diplomatic gaffes). Or rather let us assume that those voting for the new Tory party leader don't actually care about all of this because they are too focused on finding a leader to rescue their party from the mire.

He gets into No 10 at the beginning of August - three months before the Halloween brexit deadline. For the first part of those 3 months the HoC is on holiday, as indeed is the whole of European political life, at both EU and national levels. There are also 2-3 weeks when UK political life is consumed by party conferences. There is no longer a negotiating team in Brussels. An agreement (clue in the word) has to get through the EU Parliament as well as the HoC.

When does he imagine he is going to sit down and negotiate a new deal? What makes him think that this can be done in a few weeks? How does he imagine this will get through debates and votes in two elected chambers? All he says is "there can be a solution to finding a new deal" - but again, that is sadly lacking in any detail. He says there are alternatives to the backstop in Ireland. If so, why has nobody found these in the course of three years of negotiations? Does he think that the EU would rather prolong the agony than strain to find the answer to the conundrum that is Ireland? Johnson does not wield a magic wand, and his habit of deflecting from probing questions by deploying extracts from the longer version of the Oxford English Dictionary might make people smile but won't wash with EU politicians and diplomats.

And if he finds a way to exit with no deal, we all know that in most areas of life the preparations have not been done - as shown by documents this week. And again, there will be no time to make those preparations in the few months, particularly those requiring legislation in Parliament, let alone those requiring some illusory side negotiations on mini-deals with the EU. But Tory party members will be happy (at least until reality sinks in), and the party will probably save itself from further electoral disasters.

Self, then party, then country. Maybe that is a common trait amongst most politicians, but with people like Johnson it is particularly pronounced.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:31 pm

But there is always somebody who has to poke the hornet's nest, Mixos, isn't there?

Warwick

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:37 pm

Wot, me ? Nah.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:51 pm

Johnson is not fit for office ..

Toebs

Postby Toebs » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:46 pm

"Boris Johnson star sign: How Gemini horoscope forecast will mean THIS for the next PM", from The Express

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/li ... ogy-zodiac

Sweet Jesus.

What the screaming, dribbling, crack-smokin', imbecilic, naive, gullable, idiotic, jive-talkin' hoodoo is this [censored by forum], and who on God's clean Earth is reading it, because they *want to*, and is using it as part of their judgement forming process?

I pass over commenting on the foulness at the Express, who knowingly write this madness and willingly promulgate the harm it causes, in return for the pay for their homes, cars and holidays.

Voni

Postby Voni » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:56 am

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:41 am

Philb wrote:...the new Tory party leader don't actually care about all of this because they are too focused on finding a leader to rescue their party from the mire.

I read an online blog of this view a couple of weeks ago that gave the definitive timeline on what the Tory party are doing as opposed to what they are saying. It stated:

"Today is the 24th of May. The deadline for Brexit is 31 October. At the moment – quite extraordinarily – there have been no dates set for Parliament sitting for the rest of this year (we just rang them up to check and they had no idea), but normally there’s a six-week summer break, a couple of weeks back and then another break of several weeks for all the parties to hold their autumn conferences.

(The Lib Dems are having theirs from 14-17 September this year, Labour’s is 21-25 September, the Tories 20 Sep-2 Oct.)

So that means we’re probably looking at:

JUNE: effectively no Prime Minister.

JULY: no Prime Minister. Parliament rises for summer recess.

AUGUST: Parliament on holiday.

SEPTEMBER: end of summer recess, then party conference recess.

OCTOBER: Brexit.

So there are basically four weeks left. This can only go well."

The 'kicking the UK can' down the road approach to saving the Tory party has well and truly been kicked into the long grass.

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:50 am

Keltz wrote:
Philb wrote:...the new Tory party leader don't actually care about all of this because they are too focused on finding a leader to rescue their party from the mire.

I read an online blog of this view a couple of weeks ago that gave the definitive timeline on what the Tory party are doing as opposed to what they are saying. It stated:

"Today is the 24th of May. The deadline for Brexit is 31 October. At the moment – quite extraordinarily – there have been no dates set for Parliament sitting for the rest of this year (we just rang them up to check and they had no idea), but normally there’s a six-week summer break, a couple of weeks back and then another break of several weeks for all the parties to hold their autumn conferences.

(The Lib Dems are having theirs from 14-17 September this year, Labour’s is 21-25 September, the Tories 20 Sep-2 Oct.)

So that means we’re probably looking at:

JUNE: effectively no Prime Minister.

JULY: no Prime Minister. Parliament rises for summer recess.

AUGUST: Parliament on holiday.

SEPTEMBER: end of summer recess, then party conference recess.

OCTOBER: Brexit.

So there are basically four weeks left. This can only go well."

The 'kicking the UK can' down the road approach to saving the Tory party has well and truly been kicked into the long grass.

Unlikely the Tory party are planning a 13-day conference.

Peter

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:59 am

Are you saying that leaving the U.K. without any sort of deal is a good thing keltz? Is it your opinion that achieving Brexit at any cost is what most Brexiteers want?

I am not convinced that many people who voted for Brexit thought there would be job losses, (already happening in some industries....so not fake news), higher living costs due to taxes on imported goods, a weaker £ against other currencies......therefore less money to buy goods with, - especially imported goods. ( A double whammy). Voters were told deals would be struck with the EU and other countries, and not much would change, apart from the U.K. having more control over its immigration and laws. In fact we were all told we were going to be better off out of the EU! Now even most of the politicians themselves who wanted Brexit admit a no deal scenario is not good. - Even idiot Boris admits it!

Phil is correct, there is not going to be any time to put a halt to this situation. I fear we are going to crash out without a deal just for the Conservative Party to save itself! Boris will probably get elected as PM, as the Conservative Members believe he is the only person that can ‘save’ the Party. - This has nothing to do with what is best for the U.K. and its population, and everything to do with saving a Party that made a mess of Brexit from the day Cameron agreed to a referendum. A referendum is a good idea if people are well informed about how the outcome will affect their lives......and the country as a whole. This was not the case with the Brexit one. I am not claiming people did not understand matters, just that they were not given the correct information. How can politicians promise things they have to negotiate and do not have 100% control over?

No deal was NOT what many people voted for, and therefore I think that these people will not be happy with something that you seem to think is a good idea. I am not saying that these people no longer want Brexit......just that they don’t want the Brexit they are going to get!

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”