Back to the 80's - travel in Europe

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
Carolina
Site Admin

Back to the 80's - travel in Europe

Postby Carolina » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:47 am

The UK Gov latest info on: Visiting Europe from 1 January 2021

Passports:
On the day you travel, you’ll need your passport to both:
have at least 6 months left
be less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months or more left)

Healthcare:
Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will be valid up to 31 December 2020 (for tourists).

Driving
You may need extra documents from 1 January 2021.
You might need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some countries.
If you’re taking your own vehicle, you might also need a ‘green card’ or valid proof of insurance and a GB sticker.

Pet travel: allow at least 4 months to arrange
From 1 January 2021 you will not be able to use the existing pet passport scheme. Instead you’ll need to follow a different process, which takes 4 months.

Visas for short trips: you will not need one if you’re a tourist
If you’re a tourist, you will not need a visa for short trips to EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. You’ll be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.
You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer, to work or study, or for business travel.

Border control: you may have to show your return ticket and money

Mobile roaming: free roaming may end
From 1 January 2021, the guarantee of free mobile phone roaming throughout the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway will end.
Check with your phone operator to find out about any roaming charges you might get from 1 January 2021.

https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021

YoMo2

Re: Back to the 80's - travel in Europe

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:13 am

Won't we also need ETIAS certification for short visits?

Andrew

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:15 am

At some point - but ETIAS may be delayed until 2022:
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/e ... on-of-ees/

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:35 am

Interesting. Hadn't seen that. So those that like that sort of thing can remain under the radar for a bit longer.......

Andrew

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:42 am

No Andrew, not so easy, they will get a Schengen stamp in their passport when they enter Greece... ya know, like back in the 80's :)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:06 pm

It sort of makes sense, Carol. My old blue passports, spanning 30 years of travel, are rammed full of stamps. My red ones, spanning over 20 years of travel, have a couple of stamps, for the USA and Israel, despite roughly the same number of trips per year. Now we are going back to blue it is logical that we will collect more stamps again. Who knew that a colour could be so powerful?

To be fair, since the UK is not part of Schengen UK citizens would probably have had to use the ETIAS system when it becomes active even if we had stayed part of the EU just as we now have to show our passports when entering Greece from the UK while we don't when entering from another Schengen country.

Warwick

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:25 pm

Loved the 80's MT convinced me to go self employed she also gave my wife the right to buy her council house and sell for an obscene profit so we could buy our house in Crete retire at 50 and live there for the last eleven years happy days :) :D

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:24 pm

Kamisiana wrote:Loved the 80's MT convinced me to go self employed she also gave my wife the right to buy her council house and sell for an obscene profit so we could buy our house in Crete retire at 50 and live there for the last eleven years happy days :) :D

Batten down the hatches.......

Andrew

OliveTree

Postby OliveTree » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:00 pm

'Obscene' pretty much sums up Thatcher and her money-grabbing council house selling supporters of the period. The UK residents are now reaping the whole cost of it. As they say in the North East of England 'you can always tell those who've had nowt', seems like they've gone to Crete - no council houses there though, but they can always run back to the home country when needed!

Maud

Postby Maud » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:25 pm

I have just had to renew my passport. My new one arrived last week.

I thought it might be blue, although I had read that red ones were still being issued to use up old stock. - I was red when it arrived. It no longer has European Union on the front, but I am happy to have a red passport. It seems that if you want a blue one you should not apply for it until late summer.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:16 am

You must be happy that you gained the right to stay and enjoy the mild sunny days we've been having recently, Kamisiana, instead of having to brave the storms hitting the UK. Scooby sent me a photo a couple of days ago of his car covered in snow. Admittedly it wasn't very thick but it made me shiver.

Warwick

PS Personally I don't think there was anything wrong in the principle of allowing tenants to buy their council houses, Olive Tree. Where Thatcher went slightly wrong was in the discounts on the market prices, which were too high, and criminally wrong in stopping councils from using the money to build new houses. If she had got those aspects right it would have been quite a good policy. It would have reduced demand for social housing, since the people who bought would now be paying a mortgage to a bank, and the new houses built with the money received from the banks could have been used to build new social housing that wouldn't otherwise have got built providing homes for people stuck on a waiting list.

PPS My passport is not due for renewal for 7 years, Maud, so we might be back to red by then?

mobydick

Postby mobydick » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:03 am

Kamisiana, correct me if I’m wrong but you do not live on Crete. You returned to the UK last September!

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”