Applying for Greek Citizenship

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
Carolina
Site Admin

Applying for Greek Citizenship

Postby Carolina » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:10 pm

Greek Citizenship

It does seem to be possible to apply for Greek citizenship again now. They had halted it for a period & were allowing only those of Greek bloodline to apply.
The main requirements seems to be to a) hold a Permanent Residence Certificate if EU citizen (΄Εγγραφο Ποιστοποίησης Μόνιμης Διαμόνης Πολίτη Ε.Ε. - the blue one) OR a long term Residence Permit held for 3 year or 7 years for NON-EU and then b) to pass a written Greek test in language and history.

The cost of applying is currently €100 for EU citizens and €700 for non-EU.

Meanwhile, the waiting time for the written test is currently about TWO YEARS after you have made your application!

The papers you require are
1. The first sponsorship application at your Δημος with two witnesses
2. Residence certificate / permit
3. Passport
4. Original copy of birth certificate with apostille stamp attached and certified translation into Greek
5. Last 3 years of tax returns
6. AMKA number
7. Fee (παράβολο) of 100 euros (EU citizen) or €700 (non EU citizen)
8. Your family status from KEP if you are married to a Greek
9. Application at the Regional Government Office - Περιφερια
2. Η δήλωση πολιτογράφησης γίνεται ενώπιον του δημάρχου με την παρουσία δύο Ελλήνων πολιτών ως μαρτύρων. Η δήλωση καταχωρείται σε ειδικό πρωτόκολλο και αντίγραφο της χορηγείται στον δηλώσαντα μαζί με έντυπο αίτησης όπου αναγράφονται όλες οι προϋποθέσεις κτήσης Ελληνικής Ιθαγένειας με πολιτογράφηση.
3. Η αίτηση πολιτογράφησης απευθύνεται προς τον Υπουργό Εσωτερικών, Αποκέντρωσης και Ηλεκτρονικής Διακυβέρνησης και συνοδεύεται από:
α. Αντίγραφο της δήλωσης πολιτογράφησης.
β. Αντίγραφο διαβατηρίου, ταξιδιωτικού εγγράφου ή άλλου αποδεικτικού ταυτοπροσωπίας.
γ. Έναν από τους αναφερόμενους, υπό στοιχείο ε` του άρθρου 5 του παρόντος, τίτλους νόμιμης διαμονής σε ισχύ.
δ. Πιστοποιητικό γέννησης ή άλλο ισοδύναμο πιστοποιητικό που προβλέπεται από τη νομοθεσία της Χώρας πρώτης ιθαγένειας. Αν ο αλλοδαπός είναι δικαιούχος διεθνούς προστασίας ως πολιτικός πρόσφυγας ή έχει υπαχθεί σε καθεστώς επικουρικής προστασίας ή είναι Ανιθαγενής και αδυνατεί να προσκομίσει πιστοποιητικό γέννησης, αρκεί η πράξη αναγνώρισης του ως πολιτικού πρόσφυγα, υπαγωγής του στο καθεστώς επικουρικής προστασίας ή το οικείο δελτίο ανιθαγενούς, αντίστοιχα. Αν ο αλλοδαπός έχει γεννηθεί στην Ελλάδα, αρκεί η ληξιαρχική πράξη γέννησης. Αν ο αλλοδαπός αδυνατεί αντικειμενικά να κατέχει διαβατήριο, κατά την έννοια της παραγράφου 1 εδάφιο γ` του άρθρου 84 του ν. 3386/2005, αρκεί η άδεια διαμονής που χορηγείται στις περιπτώσεις αυτές σύμφωνα με την προαναφερόμενη διάταξη.
ε. Εκκαθαριστικό σημείωμα ή αντίγραφο δήλωσης φορολογίας εισοδήματος του τελευταίου οικονομικού έτους,
στ. Αριθμό μητρώου κοινωνικής ασφάλισης (Α.Μ.Κ.Α.).
ζ. Παράβολο επτακοσίων (700) ευρώ. Για την επανυποβολή αίτησης πολιτογράφησης το οφειλόμενο παράβολο περιορίζεται στα διακόσια (200) ευρώ. Ομογενείς, κάτοχοι ιθαγένειας κράτους – μέλους της Ευρωπαϊκής Ένωσης, καθώς και αναγνωρισμένοι πολιτικοί πρόσφυγες και ανιθαγενείς οφείλουν με κάθε αίτηση τους να καταβάλλουν παράβολο ύψους εκατό (100) ευρώ.»

From
https://web.facebook.com/groups/2706772 ... 592058901/

Jeffstclair

Re: Applying for Greek Citizenship

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Many thanks indeed for this information.
Does anybody know how fluent you need to be to pass the Greek language test?

Jeff

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:24 pm

Any idea when they reinstated this, Carol? I thought it was originally stopped because the court had ruled that the law allowing it was unconstitutional. I am not aware that the constitution has been changed?

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:38 pm

Sorry Warwick I don't know, but I do know two people who have recently applied - one last year and one this year.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:42 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:Many thanks indeed for this information.
Does anybody know how fluent you need to be to pass the Greek language test?

Jeff

Jeff, I imagine you need to be pretty fluent, whatever that means though?!

I would imagine a good first test is that you can read and understand/translate the Greek text above?!

They are supposed to be bringing the test online in the near future so perhaps there will be some practice tests.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:49 pm

This is copied from the Greek Embassy web site in the UK:

Aliens of non Greek origin, spouses of Greek nationals, are not entitled to apply for naturalization, as described above, at a Greek Consular Authority. They need to reside in Greece in order to have their application examined.
    The naturalization procedure for non Greek origin aliens is conducted in Greece and legal residence in Greece for ten years (or three years if there are children) in the last twelve years, is required.

If my understanding of English grammar is correct, I interpret the opening statement: "Aliens of non Greek origin, spouses of Greek nationals,..." to imply that only spouses of Greek nationals can apply via this route. I could be wrong.

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:01 pm

I've done a bit of searching and found the law - 4531/2018 Article 31:

https://www.lawspot.gr/nomika-nea/oi-ne ... -4531-2018

The length of time of legal residence prior to applying is shown on a table at the bottom of that page. It seems to be 3 years for an EU citizen.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:07 pm

Kilkis wrote:This is copied from the Greek Embassy web site in the UK:

Aliens of non Greek origin, spouses of Greek nationals, are not entitled to apply for naturalization, as described above, at a Greek Consular Authority. They need to reside in Greece in order to have their application examined.
    The naturalization procedure for non Greek origin aliens is conducted in Greece and legal residence in Greece for ten years (or three years if there are children) in the last twelve years, is required.

If my understanding of English grammar is correct, I interpret the opening statement: "Aliens of non Greek origin, spouses of Greek nationals,..." to imply that only spouses of Greek nationals can apply via this route. I could be wrong.

Warwick

Perhaps just bad grammar. I would interpret it simply that any Aliens of non Greek origin (and, or, including) spouses of Greek Nationals cannot apply for Naturalisation at a Greek Consular Authority. i.e. outside of Greece.

Paleo

Postby Paleo » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:45 pm

Hi,

Is this for dual citizenship or only if we want to have exclusively Greek citizenship?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:46 pm

It is simply to apply for Greek citizenship. Once you have Greek citizenship it is up to you and the government where you originally had citizenship whether you also keep your original citizenship, i.e. have dual citizenship, or revoke it and only have Greek citizenship. As far as I am aware Greece allows dual citizenship, as many of the Greek diaspora have it, and so does the UK. Not all countries recognise dual citizenship, i.e. if you obtain citizenship of another country your original citizenship is automatically revoked.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:07 pm

As an afterthought, I am not sure applying for Greek citizenship at this stage helps with the Brexit problem.

1 If the UK leaves with a "deal"* then all of us with residence certificates, either initial or permanent, should be able to remain in Greece. We may have to go through some administrative process of getting a different residence certificate/permit but it should be pretty automatic. Applying for citizenship is not necessary.

2 If the UK leaves with no deal on 29 March 2019 then the residence certificates we have now would no longer be valid, since they are for EU citizens and we will no longer be EU citizens. The terms for applying for citizenship include having a valid residence certificate so we would no longer satisfy those terms.

Warwick

* Where I use the term "deal" I mean any deal, EU wide or bilateral, that includes the same citizens rights as are included in the current proposed EU withdrawal agreement.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:13 pm

The new Greek draft law 26/3/2019 http://www.esos.gr/sites/default/files/ ... ._4604.pdf? updates information on the Greek language requirements for Greek citizenship tests.

Those aged over 55 years and living in Greece over 20 years and people over 65, only need A2 level Greek.
Everyone else B1 level.

You can check the levels and test papers here http://www.greek-language.gr/certification/node/12.html

(Via British in Greece group Facebook).

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:50 pm

Here's the link to the study book for the Greek Citizenship test http://www.damt.gov.gr/images/stories/f ... atrida.pdf

Update from British in Greece FB group ; The questions for the interview are being published online, there will be 300 questions online and the interviewers will select 30 of the 300 questions and we will be given time.....but not much!.... to read them through and select ( ourselves that is) 20 of them for the interview. The whole process will last about 20 minutes.

I'll post the link to the online questions when I have it.

Petros5

Postby Petros5 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:50 pm

Thanks for all this!
You write: Those aged over 55 years and living in Greece over 20 years and people over 65, only need A2 level Greek.
Everyone else B1 level.
Is there a government document I can quote on this, please? Does the 20 years' residence apply to those over 65?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:14 pm

A somewhat old thread but there is an article in today's ekathimerini concerning the examination for Greek citizenship. I thought it might be of interest to some.

Warwick

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”