Passport Validity Post Brexit

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
Yin&Yang

Passport Validity Post Brexit

Postby Yin&Yang » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:26 pm

https://www.gov.uk/check-a-passport-tra ... nuary-2021

This has already been mentioned on the Forum and I’ll admit to having been a little confused and concerned.

Above is a link which checks your passport’s validity and only takes about a minute to do.

My passport validity is for longer than 10 years, i.e. April 2016 to October 2026. When I carry out the passport check (I chose destination as Greece) I am told that my passport will now expire a year earlier, I guess to bring it in line with the change that passport validity can be for no longer than a period of 10 years.
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Re: Passport Validity Post Brexit

Postby Kilkis » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:32 pm

A minor point but you need to distinguish between validity and when you can travel. After the end of 2020 as far as the EU is concerned the passport can only be valid for a maximum of 10 years so if it was issued in April 2016 then it is only valid until April 2026, not October 2026 even though it shows that as the expiry date. When you enter the EU, however, the passport must still be valid for 6 months so you would not be able to enter the EU after October 2025, i.e. April 2026 - 6 months.

When the EU introduced the 10 year maximum validity rule the UK stopped adding unexpired time to renewed passports. If you applied for renewal early the expiry date became 10 years after the date of issue not 10 years after the old passport expired like it used to be. The EU also agreed to accept passports which had a validity longer than 10 years up to their stated expiry date until they had all worked their way out of the system. The EU ended this concession with effect from the end of 2020 when the UK left the EU. I have no idea if anything has been included in the New UK-EU Deal that reverses that decision and reinstates the concession. The fact that the UK government check web site is still active probably means that the 10 year maximum validity will be enforced.

Warwick

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:31 pm

Next year I have to visit England for no more than 3 days sometime in March. In mid May I will visit for 10 -14 days.

I am aware that in the UK, anyone with less than 3 months left on their Passport will be refused Boarding at the Airport when visiting an EU Country, such as Greece.
My passport was renewed early in 2012 as I had to visit an African Country that required a minimum of 6 months remaining on the Passport. Mine would only have had 3 months, so I renewed it early. The Date of Issue is June 2012. The date of expiry is November 2022. More than the 10 years that a Passport is considered, by the EU, to be Valid.
If I use this Passport to visit in March I will have exactly 3 months remaining, assuming that I return in March Not April. But as far as the UK is concerned I have 8 months remaining.
If I use the Passport for my May visit I will only have 1 month remaining or 6 months remaining on the extended date.
I have the new Biometric 10 year card.
I cannot find if, as far as the UK end is concerned, if they would turn me away at the Airport. I am NOT visiting Greece, just returning to my Country of residency. I am loath to renew my passport again so early.

Come on you wise people. Any advise?. Over to you -.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magna

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:17 pm

It is not an issue for the UK government. It is the EU who are counting passports as expiring at 10 years from their expiry date, not the stated expiry date if that is more than 10 years after issue. Under no circumstances will you be allowed to make use of the extended period. It is also the EU who are insisting that there is 3 months left on your passport on the day after you leave the EU. Clearly if you enter the EU with less than 3 months on your passport then it won't have 3 months left on it on the day after you leave. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that it is the airlines who are refusing you boarding if you don't meet these rules, because they know that you will be refused entry when you land and it will be their problem to return you.

Unfortunately the rules are written around people who live in the UK and are visiting the EU, not around people who live in the EU but have a UK passport. You could try asking the airline if they will refuse you boarding if you have a biometric residence card even if you don't have 3 months left.

Personally I would avoid the risk/hassle and renew before flying.

Warwick

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”