Storm Clouds.

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
Phild

Re: Storm Clouds.

Postby Phild » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:30 am

evansmr1 wrote:Do you really think that Greece is going to kick out the UK expats.

The ONS estimates that there are approximately 20,000 UK nationals resident in Greece - this is about 0.18% of the Greek population at the last census in 2016.

I don't know how many UK nationals are tax-resident in Greece, but it's unlikely that more than half of this number are - probably more like 10-25%, I'd have thought, however, they will still pay sales tax and ENFIA, road tax etc...

...drops and oceans comes to mind...

Now, looking at the bigger picture - do you think that Greece is going to do what it wants, or what the EU says?

*Now Edited for mathematical accuracy*
Last edited by Phild on Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----
Phil
----

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:50 am

I would have thought that the percentage of tax residence will be much higher . I know a few UK nationals that live here, most of them are tax residence 'cos they live and work here.
I don't think the there is much chance that the government will ask anyone to leave , but for some it may become impossible to stay ...

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:09 pm

Greece is owned by the EU(Germany) as are most european countries that they have a hold over so Greece will not have any say who can stay and who goes or any other matter without there say so,

What a thorn in the EU's side little old blighty is.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:39 pm

20,000 is about 0.2 % of the Greek population, Phil.

You are correct that anybody who is working here must be tax resident, Jeff. I have no idea what proportion of the 20,000 are working and what proportion are pensioners but I am the only pensioner that I know that is tax resident here. All the others, and that is over 90 % of my parea, have remained tax resident in the UK. They pay no tax in Greece on income at all. Obviously they pay ENFIA and purchase taxes.

It is not a question of being "owned", Kamisiana. Greece is a member of the EU and a member of the Schengen zone. It has to apply Schengen rules to any visitor to the country. If you are a member of the club the rules relevant to members apply to you. If you leave the club the rules that are relevant to non-members apply to you. It's not difficult - only the UK government doesn't understand it.

Warwick

Phild

Postby Phild » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:10 pm

Kilkis wrote:20,000 is about 0.2 % of the Greek population, Phil.

Oops! Yes, sorry, in my sleepy state this morning I forgot to multiply by 100... :oops:
----

Phil

----

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:57 pm

I stopped looking/using this forum over 2 years ago when everyone was ranting and raging over the In or Out Vote of the European Club. So much speculation.

I restarted viewing etc a few weeks ago. Great no doom and gloom. Now its back, too much speculation.

I suggest that with immediate effect that this FORUM becomes a HAPPY FORUM. Life is too short, enjoy today, live for tomorrow. Speculating will not solve anything. None of us are in the driving seat, although I am certain most of us would do a better job than the C--p that are on all sides of both Parliaments.

So Now Please HAPPY HAPPY. Enjoy your life. Drink more raki or local wine. Help the Farmers and the distillers , legal and otherwise.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:10 pm

Agreed, Mike. Any one of us could be dead tomorrow or, indeed in ten minutes time. Enjoy life while one still has it.

Clio

Postby Clio » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:32 pm

I suggest that with immediate effect that this FORUM becomes a HAPPY FORUM.

Me, I suggest that with immediate effect this forum becomes a forum for “discussion, news, about Crete & Greece".

Then perhaps people might stop the endless self-interested, Anglocentric conjecturing, remember that they live in a country which is observing three days of mourning, and, even if they have nothing to say about a national tragedy, refrain from exhorting everyone to "be happy"....

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:16 am

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :
That feels better all is solved :? Brexit is about Crete/Greece if your british and you live here :?:

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:45 pm

Well said Kamisiana, seconded by us just around the corner in Darmarohori but off the beaten track :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Dave H

BST

Postby BST » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:46 pm

There's being happy and burying your head in the sand. Oh how I wish Brexit hadn't happened! But it has and IF there ceases to be any agreement over reciprocal health care or EHIC cards and the UK starts to keep a data base on people out of the country for more than 6 months then we will have to sell up and move to a country I really don't want to live in. I still live in hope but I could be happier! Can't believe expats who live abroad actually voted for Brexit! Why?? You don't love the UK enough to live there. Could you not see that you MIGHT have to return??

Phild

Postby Phild » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:14 pm

BST wrote: Could you not see that you MIGHT have to return??

But..., but..., but that would require intelligence and foresight, surely? :D
----

Phil

----

BST

Postby BST » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:21 pm

Yes it would Phild! :D

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:27 pm

Phild wrote:
BST wrote: Could you not see that you MIGHT have to return??

But..., but..., but that would require intelligence and foresight, surely? :D

Ouch! How rude can you get????

Could I gently point out, please, that many of us have no vote in the UK any longer, despite being UK taxpayers, having passed the 15-year rule mark. We are neither lacking in intelligence, nor foresight and how do know how we might have voted, had we been allowed to? True, there are some members of the forum who used their democratic right to vote for Brexit, and those who voted against. But lots of us can't do either.

Yes we do have intelligence and foresight and can see that we MIGHT have to return. Why else would we sell our house and take up rented accommodation again? Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:58 pm

I blame the whole thing on bad grammar, in particular the misuse of a single conjunction. Every part of the leave campaign said that if the UK left the EU it could:

1 Stop paying into the EU budget
    2 Stop implementing EU laws
    3 Stop being under ECJ jurisdiction
    4 Stop free movement of people
    5 Enter into independent trade deals with third countries
    AND
    6 Still have complete access to the EU single market as it had already

It is blatantly obvious from everything the EU has said and everything that has happened in the negotiations the correct conjunction to use was OR Perhaps if people like Farage, Lord Lawson and Boris had been taught grammar better they would have used the correct conjunction and who knows what effect that would have had on the vote?

Warwick

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”