Temporary Brexit Forum

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
Carolina
Site Admin

Temporary Brexit Forum

Postby Carolina » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:34 pm

There are many issues which could (will) affect the status and rights of British Living in Greece with Brexit. The next few months up to 29th MArch 2019 are going to be pivotal for many of us here, so I've created this temporary space for debate and information.

Please keep it civil and on topic .. i.e. in relation to Living In Greece.

For those non Brits on the forum, or for anyone else who doesn't wish to hear about Brexit; that's easy, just don't read the posts in this section!

Carol

bobscott

Re: Temporary Brexit Forum

Postby bobscott » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:34 am

Thanks Carol. A good idea! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:50 am

Although I find the whole Brexit situation fascinating/frightening/laughable in turn, there are only three things which really concern me as a Brit expat living in Crete.
1. It would be nice to have a vote in the UK given that I still pay income tax there. Boston Tea Party Syndrome. Although the Private member's bill went through parliament a few months ago, Votes for Life is still dead in the water as an issue whilst the two main parties wrangle amongst themselves.
2. Continuing the the EHIC principle (of course not the card!) beyond 29th March is a crucial issue amongst those of us of 'senior' years. It is entirely conceivable that the hotheads in the UK will eventually persuade the powers that be that NHS spending can be reduced by scrapping reimbursement of medical costs incurred by pensioner expats living in Europe. That could be the tipping point for some, resulting in their relocation back in the UK - a move that would probably cost the state more than just footing the 'overseas' bill; think housing, benefits, medical costs (higher than here), bus passes, TV licences etc etc.
3. The shrinking value of the pound v the euro. That has already been a tipping point for some pensioners of our acquaintance and is a problem that will surely increase in the months to come?

Other than that, I am enjoying the 'theatre' attached to it all. I wonder what Jeremy really thinks about Sir Keith???? Bob.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:53 am

Interesting points, Bob.

1 Personally I pay my tax in Greece, not in the UK, so I can't really invoke the Boston Tea Party Syndrome* to justify having a vote there. I also have some sympathy with the concept that, after being away from the UK for many years, I don't really have any association with a constituency there. Since MPs are supposed to represent the interests of their constituents perhaps the UK government should consider having one MP to represent ex-pats, or perhaps ex-pats who still pay tax there, and for whom only ex-pats vote? Currently each MP represents about 100,000 people so it wouldn't be out of the way to have one MP to represent 2 million? I do think we should have a say in issues, like Brexit, that directly and potentially massively affect our lives.
2 I agree that healthcare is an issue of concern. I currently receive healthcare through IKA paid for by the UK under an S1 form. I receive a UK State Pension and a Greek IKA pension, since I worked both in the UK and Greece. If anybody else is in that position they might find it useful to read REGULATION (EC) No 883/2004, Title III, Chapter 1, Section Section 1, Articles 23, 24 and 25. If my interpretation is correct we should receive healthcare directly paid for by IKA. If we lose our S1 coverage it should be possible to get continued healthcare provided by IKA. That would not apply to anybody who only receives UK pensions.
3 Varying exchange rates are a fact of life for anybody who has income in one currency and expenditure in a different one. There are many reasons for Sterling to lose, or gain, value against the Euro, Brexit is only one.

Warwick

* PS The tax that lead to the Boston Tea Party was a tariff of 3d per pound on tea exported to the USA from the UK. It shows how destructive tariffs can be. What is stranger is that previously tea exports from the UK to the USA had been banned. Allowing them would have brought down the price of tea in the USA even taking the 3d tariff into account. Opposing them was a purely idealogical action that was not in the best interests of consumers. Obviously that would never happen in these more enlightened times?
PPS For anybody born before 1971 3d means 3 old pence and was £0.0125

Phild

Postby Phild » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:25 am

It may be interesting theatre to some, but it misses the point that as British citizens living in an EU country, our continued ability to live in any EU country may well be impacted.

May may have issued her unilateral "commitment" to EU citizens to remain in the UK, but there has been no such commitment from the EU side so far.

Do any of us want to move back to the UK?
----
Phil
----

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:35 am

Nope.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:43 am

Οχι !
Someday is now : )

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:13 pm

Yes.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

altohb

Postby altohb » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:51 pm

Absolutely not.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:14 pm

There is no way we could move back to the UK if we wanted to...

BST

Postby BST » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:53 pm

No!!!

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:36 pm

Phild wrote:
Do any of us want to move back to the UK?

NO!

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:39 pm

Kilkis wrote:Interesting points, Bob.

Since MPs are supposed to represent the interests of their constituents perhaps the UK government should consider having one MP to represent ex-pats, or perhaps ex-pats who still pay tax there, and for whom only ex-pats vote? Currently each MP represents about 100,000 people so it wouldn't be out of the way to have one MP to represent 2 million? I do think we should have a say in issues, like Brexit, that directly and potentially massively affect our lives.
Warwick

I believe that France does indeed have an MP for expats but when that approach was suggested to the UK government about a year ago, they turned it down flat. Democracy? Bah, Humbug!! Bob.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:29 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:There is no way we could move back to the UK if we wanted to...

Outstanding arrest warrant, Jeff?

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:03 pm

bobscott wrote:...It is entirely conceivable that the hotheads in the UK will eventually persuade the powers that be that NHS spending can be reduced by scrapping reimbursement of medical costs incurred by pensioner expats living in Europe....
I can't trace the article where I read this a few months ago but it was in either The Grauniad or Independent. Apparently it costs the UK government less to reimburse most EU countries than having the UK nationals return to the UK. There are two main reasons. Greece and several others**, neglect to invoice the UK for many of the treatments provided and nearly all treatments of similar illnesses are considerably cheaper in continental countries than in the UK. The burden of cost and of other resources (numbers of beds available etc.,) would require significant additional funding of the NHS. If the hotheads win the NHS loses.

** Much the same as the NHS can't be bothered to charge most "health tourists" for treatment in the UK.

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”