The Will of the People

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
George

Re: The Will of the People

Postby George » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:50 pm

Isn't indicative voting the same instrument that Labour used to get the wrong Milliband as leader?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:02 pm

Indicative simply means it is not binding. It does not refer to the voting method. The outcome is supposed to tell the government what, if anything, there is a majority for in parliament. It doesn't mean May has to follow that vote, although she is unlikely to win support for an alternative option if she doesn't.

As far as I am aware Ed Milliband won more votes than his brother in a leadership vote. All parties have quite complex leadership nomination and voting systems and the systems change from time to time, which can change the outcome, but they are not indicative. The person who wins become leader.

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:57 pm

Kamisiana wrote:EU can pass vehicle speed limiters and driver monitors for tens of millions of vehicles within three years but not electronic border customs controls, the ever tighter control and rules from Brussels.
I have to ask, what about vehicles from outside the eu travelling through? Also it’s only for new vehicles? So if you don’t have a new vehicle who pays for it? Mind you the eu have a report from those people who do lots of graphs and pie charts who say it could save 25,000 lives.
Get Brexit done.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:42 pm

There are two main problems with the type of speed limiter that is being proposed, i.e. one using GPS to pinpoint your position and then reading an electronic map to see what the limit is at that point:

1 Anybody who has driven with a satnav, which is the same technology, will know that they frequently flag up limits that are wrong in both directions, i.e they flag up a low limit when there is a high limit and vice versa.
    2 There will inevitably be a period of time when a large number of vehicles have the technology and a large number don't, say 50:50.

When you put those two problems together it is possible that it will cause more accidents and more injury/death. For example a line of traffic driving along a 60 mph road when the front car with the technology wrongly thinks the limit has dropped to 30 mph and suddenly slows down. The following driver controlled cars plough into the back of the technology controlled one because they were not expecting a sudden slow down for no reason. Alternatively a similar situation but where the car at the front is driver controlled car being followed by a technology controlled one. The front car suddenly slows because the limit has dropped to 30 mph but the technology controlled car doesn't have that limit in its database and it ploughs into the back.

I can also see a financial problem. I bought a TomTom satnav that had free map updates for life, i.e. about 10 years. A friend with a BMW with built in satnav asked if the garage could update the maps for him. I think they wanted £800, it could have been higher. The proposed technology will be built in so what will it cost to keep the maps up-to-date. If they are not up-to-date the system is useless.

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:32 pm

Here it is then ... which one is the Will of the People?

Thirteen possible answers to the question of what Brexit should mean.

Nearly three years after the referendum, and just two days before the original departure date.

And this is as far as we have got. https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/sta ... 5368429568

bre.jpg
bre.jpg (113.04 KiB) Viewed 807 times
Attachments
bre2.jpg
bre2.jpg (101.02 KiB) Viewed 807 times

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:48 pm

Professor Ryszard Legutko MEP summing the EU Up video
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11059 ... otes-video

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:20 pm

Kamisiana wrote:Professor Ryszard Legutko MEP summing the EU Up video

The pretence that they are all united has been blown apart a few times.
Get Brexit done.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:03 pm

Down to 8 possible Brexit scenarios now for the MP's vote -

Speaker selects B, D, H, J, K, L, M, O from the above.

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/11 ... s-47696409

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:11 pm

scooby wrote:
Kamisiana wrote:Professor Ryszard Legutko MEP summing the EU Up video

The pretence that they are all united has been blown apart a few times.

The same time in your links? (i.e you both posted the same link). - EDIT _ SORRY I misread that!

I agree that if remain had won we would just be remaining (and Farage would continue to blow hot air).

We all now know that the problem is that people voted for differenent ' types' of Brexit, in a corrupt and illegal vote.

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:55 pm

No Carol it is a remainer’s point of view that leavers voted for different brexits. A leaver just wants to leave. It’s quite simple it’s only remainers who complicate it.
Get Brexit done.

Toebs

Postby Toebs » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:07 pm

Carolina wrote:Here it is then ... which one is the Will of the People?

You are kidding me. Is that actually the list of options? jesus...

When I starting reading I thought it was a comedy piss-take version!

I think I can put them into catagories.

Idiotic : A, E, K, P
Utterly, totally completely idiotic : C, N
Pointless : H
Insane : B
Never gonna happen : G, L

This leaves : D, F, I, J, M

Also, I don't understand O. Keep everything as it is until the trade deal is done? sounds reaosnable, actually, but how come this hasn't come up before? probably because the EU won't accept it, I imagine.

Speaker selected B, D, H, J, K, L, M, O, which gives;

Idiotic : K
Utterly, totally completely idiotic :
Pointless : H
Insane : B
Never gonna happen : L

Remainder : D, J, M, O

50% hit rate.

Toebs

Postby Toebs » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:15 pm

scooby wrote:No Carol it is a remainer’s point of view that leavers voted for different brexits. A leaver just wants to leave. It’s quite simple it’s only remainers who complicate it.

If this was true 'hard out' and 'soft out' would be able to accept a single Brexit agreement, *and this has not happened*.

I assert therefore people who want out *have differing views* and there is no majority view on what out means.

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:20 pm

Toebs wrote:
scooby wrote:No Carol it is a remainer’s point of view that leavers voted for different brexits. A leaver just wants to leave. It’s quite simple it’s only remainers who complicate it.

If this was true 'hard out' and 'soft out' would be able to accept a single Brexit agreement, *and this has not happened*.

I assert therefore people who want out *have differing views* and there is no majority view on what out means.

Your talking about parliament I’m talking reality. And please don’t start quoting percentages :roll:
Get Brexit done.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:27 pm

This is what the ballot paper for leaving the EU referendum vote will look like simples.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsto ... -like.html

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:29 pm

Yeah and the remainers just want to remain just as we have for the last 40 years ..all these options exist to find out the kind of leave the leavers want, and can agree on , thought up by the folk that have carry it out ...who also happen to be leavers and remainers ...

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”