Driving Licences

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
Kilkis

Re: Driving Licences

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:09 pm

The reports in the media were that it is only a practical test. I would guess the language used will depend on the tester. If the tester speaks English I can't imagine them refusing to give instructions in English but if you get one that doesn't then the instructions will be in Greek. I don't know if it is possible to ask for someone who speaks English? I've got a year to go before I have to do this so I hope things have settled down by then and all the problems have been ironed out. I always am an optimist

My intention is to go to a driving school a little while before I am due to take the test and take a couple of lessons coaching me on what is required. I did the same fifty odd years ago when I took my car test. My father taught me to drive so I was completely competent but I still took some lessons to get advice on the wrinkles that my father wouldn't necessary know, given that he had taken his test 30 years earlier. Requirements do tend to change over time.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:29 pm

Thanks Warwick. I'm getting my act together to get this sorted out for Andrew and I.
Someday is now : )

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:42 pm

Can you please tell me where the Licensing Centre is in Xania?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:12 pm

Come off the National Highway at the main Souda junction and take the Souda road into Chania. Shortly after the IKA building there are some traffic lights where two roads go off to the left with a SYNKA supermarket between them. Take the first road. After a while a wide road joins it from the right. Shortly after that there are some gates into a compound on the right. That is the driving centre. I think the office that deals with driving licences is in the building that faces the road to the right of the gate. You need to walk along the front of that building to the end nearest to the Souda road. I may be wrong. The offices do move from time to time and I have always used KEP.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:25 pm

Once again, very many thanks!

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:19 pm

Kilkis wrote: Shortly after that there are some gates into a compound on the right. That is the driving centre. I think the office that deals with driving licences is in the building that faces the road to the right of the gate.
Warwick

Yes, it's the building on your right as you enter the gates - there's a picture here from google maps and it's building ΚΤΙΡΙΟ ' Α"
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... CnoECAMQBg

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:47 pm

In case it is any use to people, I think the last building on the left that you can see on the photo posted by Carol is the office where you transfer ownership of vehicles, unless that has moved since I last used it about 5 years ago.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:19 pm

I have updated my previous post. This should link to it:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11582&p=74775#p74775

Updated again.
Last edited by SatCure on Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:39 pm

SatCure wrote:...7. I'm not familiar with doctors, here, but I'm getting the impression that there's no appointment system. You turn up at 9am and wait....

Not necessarily true. I use a private pathologos, Dr Maria Christoforatou at Sfakion St 27-29, who is on the approved list. She operates a turn up and queue system in the morning and an appointment system in the evening. Renewal of prescriptions is done by her receptionist.

Warwick

PS No suggestion of having to take a Greek driving test?

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:54 pm

Kilkis wrote:PS No suggestion of having to take a Greek driving test?

I'm not over 74 but Carolyn mentions it on her page:
http://www.livingincrete.net/drivingincrete.html

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:02 pm

SatCure wrote:...I'm not over 74 ...

No. I am asking if anybody aged between 65 and 74, who is trying to exchange their UK licence for a Greek one, has been told they need to take a Greek driving test? Two friends of mine, who are in that age bracket, e.g. one is 68, have been told by both KEP and the Chania driving centre that they cannot exchange their UK licence for a Greek one and they need to take a full Greek driving test, not just the practical test for 74 year olds, in order to get a Greek licence.

Warwick

Paleo

Postby Paleo » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:12 pm

Kilkis wrote:The offices do move from time to time and I have always used KEP.

Warwick

So all of this can be done at a local KEP rather than having to go & do it in Chania?

Barry

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:26 pm

Yes, but not all KEP offices are equally helpful, it all depends on the local staff. I gave up going to the KEP office in Gerani because whatever I asked they couldn't do it. When I went to a different office, surprise surprise, they could. Going to KEP slows the process down a little, because they have to send the documents to the licensing centre and I don't think they do it on a daily basis. Also when you reach 80 you can no longer do it at KEP and have to go directly to the licensing centre. I know several people who mix and match. They get KEP to prepare all the documentation and then take it themselves to the centre.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:33 pm

Well the DVLA are on the ball, noticed that my UK licence photo had expired a few months ago. Got on their website Monday morning to request a new one, arrived at my designated UK address this morning.

mythos master

Postby mythos master » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:29 am

3 people all applied for greek issued driving licences in april 2018 at local kep office,still waiting,they say the problem is with the uk
a pessimist is an optimist with experience

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”