International driving permits for UK drivers from 28 March 2019

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
Mackie

International driving permits for UK drivers from 28 March 2019

Postby Mackie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:18 pm

Please take note of the changes if you don’t have a Greek license and need IDP in the future.
You won’t be able to get it by post or through the AA but it will be available from far more post offices!

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/internation ... march-2019

Voni

Re: International driving permits update

Postby Voni » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:55 pm

As promised an update on my experience of getting an IDP for Greece....or rather not geting an IDP......ho hum...

On the Post Office website yesterday I checked and two branches near me were listed as doing the licences. So with documents in hand, plus photos I set off this morning only to find that two branches listed knew nothing about the IDPs (or even that they might not be able to drive on their own UK licences after BREXIT)!

So I returned to the post office website to see it has been updated....the nearest office to me that does IDPs is 25 miles away! Despite the post office saying that there are 2500 post offices able to do it.

Trying to be gracious about it......perhaps the branches may increase later, it is the first day of issue today, I’ll keep a eye on things.

Does this small example demonstrate how ready we are for a no deal?

Kilkis

Re: International driving permits for UK drivers from 28 March 2019

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:24 pm

The problem is that the UK government regards the act of issuing a guidance note as "being ready". The idea that the people they issue the guidance note to might need to do a ton of work never occurs to them. If they say post offices will issue the documents from 1 February then obviously, as far as the government is concerned, post offices will issue them from that date.

Out of interest, Voni, had the two nearby branches been removed from the list when you checked the second time? A friend of mine who is going back to the UK for a few days near the end of March checked for the nearest IDP issuing post office to where he will be staying and it is 30 miles away so your 25 mile experience is not unusual. Altogether there are about 11,500 post offices in the UK so 2,500 is about 1 in 5.

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:41 pm

I think I mentioned on another thread that the nearest post office to us is a 60 mile round trip. Government information on the internet said that the AA and RAC would issue licences ‘on line’ up to the 31st of January. When my husband contacted the AA a couple of days ago he was told they had already stopped doing them!

Talk about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:22 pm

I don't think the AA and RAC would have been able to help, Maud, even if they hadn't already stopped. I don't think they ever issued IDPs under the 1968 Convention, which is what is needed for Greece. I think they only ever issued them under the 1926 and 1949 Conventions. I could be wrong.

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:19 pm

The Gov.UK website has changed today Warwick, so it is impossible to check. The AA website has also changed......but it does say that they can no longer issue IDP’s at the Channel Tunnel either. It makes no distinction between the IDP’s and infers all types were available. It now tells one to go to the Post Office website and check where you can obtain on on there. - You could get a job writing information for websites!

We have also contacted our vehicle insurers. They have been very helpful. If only everyone else was as good as them!

Voni

Postby Voni » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:30 pm

Yes I agree the website showing post offices issuing IDPs seemed to have been updated today. It would have saved me a journey if I had seen it before I left!

Just fired off a complaining email to the post office asking when and if more POs will be brought into the scheme, probably won’t do any good but made me feel a bit better! I’ll let you know when/if I hear anything.

As a side note...the queue in the post office today was quite long....an ensuing discussion emerged...not one person in the queue knew they might need a IDP for holiday travel in Europe..one lady said “We are doing a driving tour of Europe this year but it won’t affect us we are hiring a car” I despair! ........ I think I heard somewhere that people knew what they were voting for!

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:58 am

Voni wrote:Yes I agree the website showing post offices issuing IDPs seemed to have been updated today. It would have saved me a journey if I had seen it before I left!

Just fired off a complaining email to the post office asking when and if more POs will be brought into the scheme, probably won’t do any good but made me feel a bit better! I’ll let you know when/if I hear anything.

As a side note...the queue in the post office today was quite long....an ensuing discussion emerged...not one person in the queue knew they might need a IDP for holiday travel in Europe..one lady said “We are doing a driving tour of Europe this year but it won’t affect us we are hiring a car” I despair! ........ I think I heard somewhere that people knew what they were voting for!

The unsayable thought: Some people are too stupid to be allowed to have passports.

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:25 pm

A friend was in a U.K. bank yesterday and chatting to the cashier about €’s and Brexit. The chap standing behind him said, “Brexit won’t affect me, as I don’t have any €’s.”

Honestly.....that is the truth! My friend was flabbergasted....as am I! My friend asked the chap if he had voted for Brexit. He had. Maybe he is related to Voni’s lady in the Post Office?!!!

I despair!

We are going to apply for our IDP’s next week. I will let everyone know how difficult it was at the Post Office. We can’t leave things much longer in the hope we won’t need extra vehicle insurance, IDP’s etc.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:45 pm

When the UK went decimal my late wife's grandmother, then in her seventies, who lived in Bury just north of Manchester, was talking to a friend, of similar age, about how difficult it would be to get used to the new currency. Her friend said she wasn't worried because she was moving to Leigh the following week. Nothing changes.

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:28 pm

Good story Warwick.

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:52 pm

Kilkis wrote:When the UK went decimal my late wife's grandmother, then in her seventies, who lived in Bury just north of Manchester, was talking to a friend, of similar age, about how difficult it would be to get used to the new currency. Her friend said she wasn't worried because she was moving to Leigh the following week. Nothing changes.

Warwick

Love it .... We are from Lymm, not too far from there and we are all clever like that :D

Our kids always thought anyone above 60 round there shouldn’t be allowed to vote !!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:40 am

I think when it comes to government elections it doesn't do much harm allowing anybody to vote. In my lifetime I have seen many Labour governments, many Conservative governments and one coalition government. The main job of government is to raise revenue through taxation and spend it for the common good. Through all those governments the total amount taken in taxation as a percentage of national income has varied by a couple of percent either way. Similarly the amount taken personally from me relative to my income has varied by a couple of percent either way. The way they have spent that revenue has also varied by a few percent. As long as we avoid extremists it doesn't really matter who gets in. The Thatcher government did implement policies that resulted in me being made redundant, which wasn't pleasant at the time when I had a family to support and a mortgage to pay, but it probably changed my life for the better rather than for the worse so I can't really complain.

In an abstract sense I am not against the idea of using referenda to decide policy but I don't think anybody in the UK, and I mean anybody at all, is qualified to vote in a referendum so the concept is irrelevant.

Warwick

PS In a geographical sense Lymm is not far from Bury but otherwise it is the opposite side of the galaxy.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:14 pm

Is it fair to assume that if the Brexit situation/outcome is such that we need 1968 IDP's to drive in Greece from 30/3/19, then driving without one would invalidate our motor insurance policies?

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:22 pm

I think you would need to ask an insurance company that question and I would imagine that it could depend on circumstances.

For example, in the case of a UK resident, driving through the EU on holiday in a UK registered car, insured through a UK insurance company, using a UK issued driving licence without an IDP, it could be judged that the licence is valid as far as the insurance company is concerned but simply not recognised by the local authority. In that situation the insurance company might decide that the insurance is still valid.

However, in the case of a UK citizen, who is resident in Greece driving a Greek registered car insured by a Greek insurance company, using a UK licence without an IDP, the Greek insurance company might decide that the licence is not valid and hence that the insurance is not valid.

Insurance companies are motivated to make decisions that minimise the amount they might need to pay out so in the event of a claim in either situation there could be a tendency to opt for "not valid".

Warwick

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”