International driving permits for UK drivers from 28 March 2019

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
Voni

Re: International driving permits for UK drivers from 28 March 2019

Postby Voni » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:26 pm

Had my IDP issued today, only the second one the PO had done so it was a slow process, lots of moaning in the growing queue, what will they do in the holiday season?

The document is nearly all in French with a smattering of English explanation. They affix your photo and place an ink stamp over it (hope the prit stick holds) then stamp the types of vehicle you are allowed to drive (pictures in the front to make it easy to understand).

They declare your country of residence (which I think needs to be UK). It expires in three years from 29th March but be careful they wanted to issue the IDP for only one year until I made them check.

The interesting bit was that despite doing two IDPs I wasn’t asked for anything other than the paper driving licence, photo licence card, passport size photo and the fee for each licence.

Good luck!

Voni

Postby Voni » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:36 pm

Sorry everyone how many postings can I do on the same topic?

Tried to add that a photo card was needed but it had been read before I could delete....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:46 pm

You should be able to delete a whole post after it has been read. It is only after somebody else has posted that you cannot delete your post only edit it. You can edit at any time. Looking at your previous post, I think you tried to edit your post but hit the quote button instead. If you want to edit a post it is the pencil symbol.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:36 am

Voni wrote:.......They affix your photo and place an ink stamp over it (hope the prit stick holds) then stamp the types of vehicle you are allowed to drive (pictures in the front to make it easy to understand).

Are you saying the vehicle types are different to what your licence allows? Why is there any need to state the vehicle types? They are on your licence.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:02 am

The purpose of the IDP is to validate the licence when it is being inspected in a foreign country. In general licences come in all sorts of formats, languages and alphabets/characters that may not be understood in a different country. The purpose of the IDP is to have a common format that you can understand. Countries effectively choose the format that suits them best by deciding which convention to accept. Thus having the categories that you can drive presented in the format you want is important.

In the case of the UK the whole thing is a bureaucratic nonsense. I would guess that the UK will probably continue with the EU format for new licences, except the EU flag will be removed, whether there is an agreement between the UK and the EU or not. The EU could agree to continue accepting UK licences as long as they are still in the EU format providing the UK agree to notify the EU if they decide to change the format, in which case an IDP would become necessary.

Notice the sneaky little word in that statement. So many things in life depend on it.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:13 pm

Kilkis wrote:.......... The EU could agree to continue accepting UK licences as long as they are still in the EU format providing the UK agree to notify the EU if they decide to change the format, in which case an IDP would become necessary.

So, you're saying that, practically speaking, an IDP is not really required at all. But we still have to get one, because the politicians can't be bothered to be sensible. Nothing new there. Still, I suppose it makes money for the government.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:25 pm

Incidentally some friends were discussing this issue in the local café the other night and at least two of them had been told, both by KEP and the Chania driving centre, that if they wanted to change their UK licence for a Greek one they would have to take a full Greek driving test because they were over 65. Neither of them were 74 or over. In the UK you don't need to renew your licence until you are 70 so their licences are still valid. Has anybody else in the over 65 to under 74 age group had this type of experience?

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:11 pm

I turned 65 when I changed my licence and just had an eye test and a medical check ..the eye test was a real test .The medical was just a chat and a few questions , like are you taking medication? are you healthy ? my licence is valid until I turn 68 so three years ...

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:56 pm

We visited KEP yesterday for the medical list and Andrew, who's 77 next month, explicitly asked about the driving test. The lady, the one in charge, told us that it was a practical test only for him. She also pointed out that should Andrew also want to have the licence to ride a motorbike, then a motorbike test would also be required. She provided us with a lot of information, most of which has been covered above. I will update you as our experiences unfold. I can tell you though that for the doctor's visit and that of the opthalmologist, there will be a €10 charge for each.
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:01 pm

Yin&Yang wrote:...She also pointed out that should Andrew also want to have the licence to ride a motorbike, then a motorbike test would also be required...

That's useful to know.

Yin&Yang wrote:...I can tell you though that for the doctor's visit and that of the opthalmologist, there will be a €10 charge for each.

That changed a few years ago. You used to have to pay €40 for each but the doctor only got €10 of it. The rest went to the government. At least now it is more honest.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:33 pm

I've heard from a few permanent residents that they plan to ignore the legal requirement for a driving licence "for country of residence" and simply apply for a 3 year International licence. I'm certain that this is not legal but will the local police know that? Indeed, will they even care?

I suspect that we could carry on driving with a UK licence forever without ever being bothered by the police. However, knowing insurance companies' propensity for quibbling (finding loopholes) I suspect the insurance would be invalid.

kvsteele

Postby kvsteele » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:48 am

An elderly friend of mine used to say " It's not illegal until you get caught"
Moved onto Crete finally...It's been a long wait

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:41 am

SatCure wrote:I've heard from a few permanent residents that they plan to ignore the legal requirement for a driving licence "for country of residence" and simply apply for a 3 year International licence. I'm certain that this is not legal but will the local police know that? Indeed, will they even care?

I think, on reflection, the risk of not being able to get a Greek licence after Brexit without sitting a Greek driving test is one just not worth taking - although I agree it's unlikely to be enforced. Crete's a lovely place to live - but not anywhere near as nice if you're not allowed to drive anywhere.

I also agree with you that driving on the wrong licence may well invalidate your motor policy. Perhaps Stavros could comment if he's watching this thread?

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:14 pm

I had another thought on this topic last night. The EU Directive governing EU format driving licences has some strict rules but also quite a bit of freedom for individual member states to make their own decisions.

For example, in the UK you have to renew your licence every 3 years once you turn 70. It can be renewed online and you self declare your medical fitness and eyesight. A small number of people may be called for a physical examination. Also in the UK you can drive on an EU licence from another country up to the age of 70. It also allows you to drive a little beyond 70 up to a maximum of 3 years after you arrive in the UK if you arrive in the UK after 67.

In Greece, however, the rules are different and you have to renew your licence every 3 years once you turn 65. Also, to do so, you must undergo a medical examination and an eye test with an approved doctor and ophthalmologist. Since in the UK the age when you can no longer drive on a foreign licence is linked to the age at which you must renew your licence every 3 years has anybody checked if the same applies in Greece, i.e. can you drive after 65 on a foreign licence at all? I have no idea but it might be worth somebody who does still drive on a UK licence after 65 asking somebody knowledgable, e.g. preferably a lawyer or possibly KEP, what the Greek law is?

Warwick

PS I have just heard from somebody who has just gone to a post office to get their own IDP and one for a relative living in Crete that they did not need the passport of the relative just their licence and photograph. Also the person serving asked him why he had gone so far to make the application. When he said that it was the nearest post office doing it the person serving said that it had now been extended to all main post offices. If anybody is intending to apply for an IDP it would be worth using the post office web page to check the nearest office just before they go as the situation does seem to be in a state of flux. I just entered my son's post code again and the office in Henley is now showing that it does IDPs but it didn't when I looked a short time ago.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:02 pm

I think maybe the Post Office is waking up to the point I made a few days ago on this thread ... the longer the uncertainty over Brexit goes on, the more people will try to apply for an IDP before the March 29 deadline.

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”