Letter from the Greek Govt

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
Carolina
Site Admin

Letter from the Greek Govt

Postby Carolina » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:48 pm

Letter from the Greek government to Jeremy Hunt 15/2/2019

https://www.mfa.gr/epikairotita/dilosei ... _gq-f9_QUA

It's in Greek. Basically assuring the (reciprocal) rights of UK citizens in Greece after 29/3/2019 to those who are already resident:-

Our state agencies are working without delay on drafting fast track bills that will be voted in due time before March 29, 2019 and will enable British citizens and members of their families already living in Greece prior to the date of retirement (29 March 2019) to remain in the country and continue to live, study and work, and enjoy take social security benefits and health care. As far as the latter is concerned, the purpose of the proposed EU regulation is to draw up a contingency plan in the event of failure to reach agreement, in particular on the co-ordination of social security systems following UK withdrawal.

For those who arrive after 29/3/2019, at the end of the letter it says:_

The aim of our national law is also to provide for the categories of citizens who will arrive in Greece after the date of departure (29.3.2019). I have already consulted my colleagues, the competent ministers, and I intend to make a public announcement soon.

Thank you Stavros Tsichlis for pointing me to the Greek document.

Yin&Yang

Re: Letter from the Greek Govt

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:01 pm

Phew!
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:11 pm

It was linked first by Mackie on page 36 of the "Will of the People" thread. It is better here as a specific topic since it is too important to get buried in the morass. I would encourage people to comment on it on this thread rather than the other one. I'll repeat my comment from that thread here:

Sounds very positive. It is also about the first time I've seen any government or EU body mention the rights of citizens who arrive after withdrawal. The fact that people will still move from country to country seems to have been completely ignored.

Warwick

PS I would interpret "in due time before March 29, 2019" to mean 28 March 2019.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:24 pm

Thanks Mackie and Warwick. It 's already buried in the other thread, I hadn't seen it until after I posted it here.

Important topic indeed.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:07 am

"As far as the latter is concerned, the purpose of the proposed EU regulation is to draw up a contingency plan" Why do they mention this?

I thought this was the Greek government writing to the UK government. It doesn't help us much if the Greeks are relying on some sort of EU legislation does it?

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:12 am

I think it is a question of how reciprocal healthcare is administered. Better to have a single EU wide mechanism than 27 different mechanisms. This was also talked about by the Embassy at the outreach meeting, i.e. that member states were waiting to see if there was going to be a common EU position on healthcare provision in the event of a no deal.

If there is no withdrawal agreement between the UK and the EU then it will be down to individual bilateral agreements between the UK and each member state. Whether a member state decides to enter into such an agreement is up to them. For those that do, it is better to have a common mechanism, preferably one that mirrors as closely as possible the current arrangement. Why set up 27 new processes when you already have one that works?

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:29 pm

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:38 pm

Kilkis wrote:...... Why set up 27 new processes when you already have one that works?.....

Sorry, I wasn't expecting there to be any logic involved..........

Andrew

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”