Reminder

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
Carolina
Site Admin

Reminder

Postby Carolina » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:18 pm

Brexit and Living in Greece
Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.

paul g

Re: Reminder

Postby paul g » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:45 pm

Shut down, just as it started getting interesting.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:49 pm

paul g wrote:Shut down, just as it started getting interesting.

Snipes, jibes and bickering is not 'keeping it civil''and I just don't have the time to moderate threads when they become acrimonious. I work full time and when I get a break and check in on the forum the last thing I need is to start to split up a verbal fight. .. who said what and why and whatever.

Sorry, but whats interesting about bickering?

I'm sure many members will be glad to see the back of that thread and would have the opinion that it should have been closed down sooner.

hairybloke

Postby hairybloke » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:09 pm

Well said, Carol. Many thanks for providing this forum.

paul g

Postby paul g » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:10 pm

Sorry, but I find some of the bickering and banter quite amusing, I thought the thread was started to try and contain the Brexit talk and to stop it appearing in other threads.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:31 pm

Well there you go. As the originator of 'The Will of the People' thread, I am sorry to see it go, but I agree with Carolina - too many petty jibes, point-scoring etc. All a pointless, self-centred waste of time and effort. I shall miss the sensible debate from a large number of contributors though. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:33 pm

Good decision.

Toebs

Postby Toebs » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:13 pm

I may be wrong, but in general Internet debate on non-trivial matters is typically extremely angry. The thread was in my experience unprecedentedly civil.

The thread itself for me, in terms of content, was invaluable. In any matter, the insight of others is invaluable in helping correct and develop your own view. It really was my go-to for discussion and debate - real debate, in the meaningful, useful form of the word - and I learned a lot.

There was indeed one current within the thread of hostility between Leave and Remain, but what I observed was that the thread was quite self-calming; other posters would step in and express their dissatisfaction with anger or hostility.

I have sent a DM to Carol. I would like to see the thread unlocked. There is a great deal left to happen and so to discuss. Perhaps a response now to that burst of hostility is to lock the thread for a short while, to let tempers calm, rather than forever. It seems quite a loss that a moment of anger on the part of two or three people should deprive so many more of us of so valuable a thread.

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:29 pm

Toebs wrote:I may be wrong, but in general Internet debate on non-trivial matters is typically extremely angry. The thread was in my experience unprecedentedly civil.

The thread itself for me, in terms of content, was invaluable. In any matter, the insight of others is invaluable in helping correct and develop your own view. It really was my go-to for discussion and debate - real debate, in the meaningful, useful form of the word - and I learned a lot.

There was indeed one current within the thread of hostility between Leave and Remain, but what I observed was that the thread was quite self-calming; other posters would step in and express their dissatisfaction with anger or hostility.

I have sent a DM to Carol. I would like to see the thread unlocked. There is a great deal left to happen and so to discuss. Perhaps a response now to that burst of hostility is to lock the thread for a short while, to let tempers calm, rather than forever. It seems quite a loss that a moment of anger on the part of two or three people should deprive so many more of us of so valuable a thread.

I hear what you say toebs but I think it’s best left to die a dignified death, it would only give a platform to ramp up the rhetoric now the new Prime minister is in. Brexit will either happen or not no matter what happens on here.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:57 am

The original aims of CIVIL and ON TOPIC were laudable although inevitably prone to a bit of slack interpretation from time to time. There is indeed more to discuss and debate, but frankly it's not worth reading the personal jibes and insults. We all have our opinions and the ability to express them strongly yet clearly and objectively is something which we have now lost. Pity, but there it is. Human nature I guess. Bob.

Toebs

Postby Toebs » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:55 am

bobscott wrote:We all have our opinions and the ability to express them strongly yet clearly and objectively is something which we have now lost.

No. This is not an accurate characterization. The majority and I would say the large majority of people in the thread were polite and respectful, always. If they were insulted, they'll call it; they did not attack others.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:32 pm

Toebs - apologies but I think my wording was a bi sloppy and thus misunderstood. I agree with you. What I meant by now being lost, was a reflection of the thread being locked, not a failing on the part of the contributors! As I said, my sloppy wording. Bob.

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:21 pm

The old thread was based on, and Brexit continues to be justified by, the term "WIll of the People".

3 years on, there are many different interpretations of the term "WIll of the People" now that more details are known, yet the government refuses a second vote or a general election in light of such revelations and in the knowledge of electoral fraud during the referendum.

There are vastly different views being ignored by Westminster on leaving the EU from 2 out of the 4 countries that make up the UK and we now have a far right, unelected government hell bent on using the term "Will of the People" that continues to rely on billions of tax payers money to buy votes from the DUP, to further its ideology and if necessary bypass parliamentary democracy.

And we think we are hard done by not being considered or mentioned. I am not sorry to see the old thread die as, with Brexit, it is already well out of date.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:40 am

I wonder how many pages this thread will reach?............

Andrew

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”