Exchanging residence certificates for biometric residence cards

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
grana1963

Re: Exchanging residence certificates for biometric residence cards

Postby grana1963 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:59 pm

Great that means we can take advantage of the time available to us.....thank you for your help

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:45 pm

Easyjet also fly from Athens to Bristol all year, twice a week.

grana1963

Postby grana1963 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:03 pm

Thank you might be an option...out in April viewing a couple of properties around the Sissi area and Anopolis....fingers crossed

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:58 am

grana1963 wrote:Thank you might be an option...out in April viewing a couple of properties around the Sissi area and Anopolis....fingers crossed

Have sent you a pm. Check your inbox please.

Andrew

grana1963

Postby grana1963 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:35 pm

Hi... very nice my budget is lower....thank you

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:44 am

grana1963 wrote:Hi... very nice my budget is lower....thank you

No problem. Good luck with your search.

Andrew

Phil C

Postby Phil C » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:56 am

Hi. We will be in Crete this weekend to finalise our property purchase. I will also apply for a residence certificate. Will aN EHIC card suffice for the medical need for this application or do I need a private policy to cover 12 month period. I have read conflicting reports any advice will be welcome. Thanks.

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:43 pm

Phil C wrote:Hi. We will be in Crete this weekend to finalise our property purchase. I will also apply for a residence certificate. Will aN EHIC card suffice for the medical need for this application or do I need a private policy to cover 12 month period. I have read conflicting reports any advice will be welcome. Thanks.

For the little it's worth: 8)

We were informed that an EHIC card was insufficient, so we took out cheap insurance. When it came to the application the police didn't even ask for any proof of health cover at all. They did look at our bank book though.

As is often the case it might well depend on "what they think" are the rules and regs.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:33 pm

Phil C wrote:Hi. We will be in Crete this weekend to finalise our property purchase. I will also apply for a residence certificate. Will aN EHIC card suffice for the medical need for this application or do I need a private policy to cover 12 month period. I have read conflicting reports any advice will be welcome. Thanks.

Good luck with your visit and welcome to Crete. As GlenB says in the last sentence, it all depends on who, where and when! Just about covers all 'official' dealings. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:19 pm

I know people who have obtained a Residence Certificate using an EHIC card as proof of health insurance. As stated by others it could depend on the person you are dealing with.

Technically there is no reason why it shouldn't work for the initial Residence Certificate. That certificate is a legal requirement if you stay in Greece for over 3 months. If you stayed 4 months, for example, you ought to get a Residence Certificate but you would still be regarded as resident and ordinarily resident in the UK. That would mean that you would be eligible for healthcare under the NHS and so an EHIC card issued by the NHS would be valid.

It is doubtful if it would be valid for obtaining a Permanent Residence Certificate, however, since that is claiming that you have lived in Greece for 5 years so you would not be eligible for healthcare under the NHS and an EHIC issued by the NHS would not be valid. Strangely I am pretty sure there are people who have done it.

Warwick

Phil C

Postby Phil C » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:50 am

Thank you all I will have some private medical just in case. Rythimmo will be my local police station.

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”