I smelled a rat, and I found a rat

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
Keltz

Re: I smelled a rat, and I found a rat

Postby Keltz » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:05 pm

A lovely imaginative story toebs leading down blind alleys and distracting, that today, as with yesterday, nothing has actually happened with Brexit.

If you listen to the press questions put to B. Johnson tonight at his 1 hour late 'impromptu' speech to the nation, one after another stated the blindingly obvious that his brother does not trust B.Johnson to uphold the national interest and indeed his brother cited this a one of the reasons he has not only resigned but left politics altogether. Crystal clear.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:46 pm

Jacob Rees-Mogg has doubled down on his criticism of the neurologist, Dr David Nicholl, who he attacked on LBC. When questioned about his attack he accused him of being as irresponsible as Dr Andrew Wakefield, the doctor who falsely linked autism to MMR vaccinations. As a back bencher he was generally very courteous and reasoned but given power he has revealed his true personality but it is easy to make such statements under parliamentary privilege. The doctor has no redress whatsoever. I have no idea if there will be deaths due to shortages of medicines caused by a no-deal Brexit but if Dr Nicholl is proved right and there are I am pretty damn sure Jacob Rees-Mogg and his colleagues will not be held to account.

Warwick

altohb

Postby altohb » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:06 am

Kilkis wrote:Jacob Rees-Mogg has doubled down on his criticism of the neurologist, Dr David Nicholl, who he attacked on LBC. When questioned about his attack he accused him of being as irresponsible as Dr Andrew Wakefield, the doctor who falsely linked autism to MMR vaccinations. As a back bencher he was generally very courteous and reasoned but given power he has revealed his true personality but it is easy to make such statements under parliamentary privilege. The doctor has no redress whatsoever. I have no idea if there will be deaths due to shortages of medicines caused by a no-deal Brexit but if Dr Nicholl is proved right and there are I am pretty damn sure Jacob Rees-Mogg and his colleagues will not be held to account.

Warwick

JRM has now apologised. Bet he didn't like that!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:24 am

altohb wrote:...JRM has now apologised. Bet he didn't like that!

Possibly not but equally it may have been his strategy all along. At all costs he does not want his assurances that everything will be wonderful challenged, especially by someone in a position to mount factually based challenges to it. Simple strategy: attack the doctor in public but being careful not to slander him. Then slander him in Parliament under parliamentary privilege so he cannot be sued and then try to silence his critics by saying, "Oooops! Sorry." I bet that in the minds of a large percentage of the population it is the slanderous remarks that will stick in their minds not the apology.

Warwick

Toebs

Postby Toebs » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:30 pm

From the BBC;

"Newspaper headlines: Minister Jo Johnson quits to spend less time with family"

Comedy gold :-)

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:17 pm

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:22 pm

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they lose.

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:40 am

Keltz wrote:First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they lose.

The wish is father to the thought.

No one knows what will happen next week, let alone what will happen whenever there is a general election.

Two thoughts:

1. The EU said the U.K. should use the six month extension to Art.50 wisely. Does anyone think we have done that?

2. Has anyone got any idea what will happen to British citizens abroad? There are two videos widely circulating of clips of a Portuguese woman (commented on here) and now a French woman who will have to leave the U.K. after many years residence. If this sort of thing happens to EU citizens in the U.K. what chance is there of decent treatment of U.K. citizens in the EU? I wouldn’t be sure any reassuring statements from EU national governments will be followed through given the UK’s current position.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:47 am

1 Absolutely not.

2 No. The intention is that we will get permanent residency but it is not certain until an EU wide/series of bilateral agreement(s) are finalised. Even then there is doubt for many. It is possible that there is an agreement on residency which depends on having healthcare. If there is no reciprocal agreement on healthcare then only those who can obtain private healthcare would be able to make use of the residency agreement. Many of us can't

Regarding the video clips I saw the interview with the Portugese lady live. I haven't seen the interview with the French lady. I saw somebody who used to work in the Home Office, during May's tenure as PM, on designing the settled status scheme being interviewed yesterday. She claimed it was working quite well and 1.4 Million EU citizens had already been granted settled status. She didn't say how many had been refused. She did make a comment in passing that there might be some confusion between "settled status" and "permanent residence". The interviewer asked her what was the difference and she replied that "settled status" was granted under UK law while "permanent residence" was granted under EU law. Unfortunately the interviewer didn't push her further, probably because he hadn't a clue what she was talking about. As a technical point the UK "settled status" scheme is operational but, as far as I know, it has no basis in law yet.

I believe that she was referring to the "permanent residence certificate", which is the same as the "permanent residence certificate" that we apply for in Greece, and the "settled status scheme" that May introduced to deal with EU residents after Brexit. I think that in the UK the method of applying for the "permanent residence certificate" is far more complicated than the system in Greece, which is quite straightforward. I wonder if some EU citizens are aware of the "permanent residence certificate" system, because it applies across the whole of the EU, are applying under that system because they are not aware of the "settled status" scheme, are being refused for some arcane reason and are not being redirected to the "settled status" scheme? It seems the sort of thing the Home Office would do.

Warwick

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:23 am

Short answer: it’s a mess.

I wonder how scared people are - in the U.K., in Crete. How scared should we be? I’ve been pretty casual about personal well-being, financial security etc and always got out of scrapes - true story: once got lost on the border between Kenya and Somalia, miles from anywhere, turned a corner and there were some Somalis with AK47s; luckily they were nomadic pastoralists and just asked if I had any cigarettes.....

But this does feel a bit like events could get out of control. Without being paranoid, a backup plan is a good idea.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:35 am

Guy M wrote:
Without being paranoid, a backup plan is a good idea.

Some of us got roasted on here for mentioning the (B----p plan) words :roll:

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:51 pm

To be fair, if my family are worried and I say ‘it’s ok, i’ve got a back up plan’, they will be justified in saying ‘what is it?’

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:24 pm

It would be interesting to know what sort of back-up plan people think they could have if they lose the right to reside in Greece, either directly or indirectly, e.g. loss of healthcare?

I acknowledge that there are several people who post on here, and others that I know, who spend time in the UK and time in Greece from choice. They might have to adapt to different periods to fit in with Schengen rules but other than that they could carry on as before. Personally I don't want to live my life that way.

As far as I can see there is no alternative but to sell up and relocate back to the UK. I can't think of another country in the world where I would want to live and I doubt if there are many (any?) that would accept me.

I could possibly sell my property in Crete, relocate back to the UK, find a property in Crete for €250,000, apply for a 5 year renewable third country visa under the "Golden Visa" scheme and relocate back to Crete again but I am not sure I could afford to do that or if the Golden Visa also requires medical insurance. Even if it doesn't I am not sure I am prepared to live here without some form of healthcover, even though I mostly pay privately for treatment.

If anybody has any other bright ideas I would love to hear them.

Warwick

PS I could try sitting here very quietly and hope nobody notices but the continued tax returns might be a bit of a give-away and renewing my driving licence could be problematic?

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:36 pm

The medical insurance issue is hard to resolve, whatever the immigration status. As I said here on on another thread, the days of many British expats living in the sun are coming to an end.

Selling up may not be so easy either, though getting money out of Greece has presumably become more simple.

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:50 pm

We share our time between both locations Warwick. We also have friends who do the same.....between the U.K and Andros, the U.K and France, and the U.K and Cyprus. Only one, (who is half Greek) has a passport for both countries. For some of us it is unrealistic to cut all our ties with the U.K. full time. - There are often occasions I wish I was on Crete all year round, but as I type this I am in France on holiday, and having been back in the U.K. for a couple of months with family, and now driving across Europe again. - We enjoy the lifestyle we have for now. Of course it is all ‘under threat’ with Brexit, which is such a shame, as I have always thought of myself as European.....not just British.

Last night I got in to conversation with a Dutch lady. She has just retired as a university lecturer, and she and her small dog are driving down to Spain and Portugal for the winter. It is the first time she has been able to enjoy such a long holiday due to work commitments. - Her little dog was a ‘rescue dog’ from Zakynthos. She asked me why we are all crazy in the U.K. and want to leave the EU? - I told her I was the wrong person for her to be speaking to! I have to admit I envy the way she can move around the EU without any restrictions, and I dread what Brexit might bring. This morning I spoke to a retired couple from Dijon who were on their way home from a touring holiday along the south coast of the U.K. They said they wanted to do it before Brexit, as they had their dog with them, so were worried about ‘Pet Passports’ etc if the U.K. crashes out of the EU. Everyone here thinks the British are raving mad, and are sad to see us leave, yet if you listen to the Brexiteers they tell us the French as a nation hate us. (Do these people have a Napoleonic mentality?) It is not my own experience of the French.

The Guardian this afternoon reports that the EU was approached by MP’s about an extension to the ‘no deal bill’ before the bill was passed. Brexiteers are now complaining about that, and saying it is an example of the EU meddling in U.K. affairs. If the MP’s had not done it, and an extension had been refused, the Brexiteers would then have complained that unnecessary time had been wasted trying to get the unobtainable! - I think the name ’remoaners’ would be better suited to the Boris and his mates!

Nicholas Soames has done an interview with The Times that is an interesting read.....if anyone has the time.

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”