I smelled a rat, and I found a rat

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
Keltz

Re: I smelled a rat, and I found a rat

Postby Keltz » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:41 am

Regardless of the many personality faults of B.Johnson detailed above that befit a far right politician and misogynist, by moving workers rights into the political declaration ensures Labour will not support the WA in line with the Tory government wish to crash out of the EU without a deal and to blame someone else.

I remember Johnson justifying this move by saying it allows the UK to implement higher standards than the EU when we know full well that future trade deals with the US will lower standards in a 'race to the bottom '. The U.S. does regulate working conditions and hiring but the rules are much lower than in Europe.

Guy is spot on about Johnson, lying is his currency.

scooby

Postby scooby » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:00 am

I can understand people who voted remain being against Boris as he was the architect of the referendum defeat, but when I see him being branded far right / facist/ racist etc it does make me chuckle.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:11 am

All governments lie. They would not get to be government if they told the truth.

Warwick

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:28 am

"For the first time in our history, we have a prime minister whom the far right regard as their leader." "The prime minister has become a pin-up for thuggish extremists and he doesn’t care about the consequences" https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-violence

"The former Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has been endorsed by far-right fascists, The British National Party (BNP), over his comments likening Muslim women wearing the Burqa to ‘letterboxes’ and ‘bankrobbers’. " https://evolvepolitics.com/boris-johnso ... s-the-bnp/

In days gone by the media would try to hold government to account acting as a balance. With only 5 billionaire owners of UK MSM who do not live in the UK and have their articles and headlines quoted throughout the day on UK TV News and political programs on the BBC and ITV, no longer.

SueA

Postby SueA » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:52 am

scooby wrote:I can understand people who voted remain being against Boris as he was the architect of the referendum defeat, but when I see him being branded far right / facist/ racist etc it does make me chuckle.

Add liar and misogynist to the list and have a laugh at these then. A quick google and you could be laughing all day.

‘This battery powered, Indian-assembled saloon may be the hottest thing from Bangalore that doesn’t come with Poppadoms.’
‘You know how it is when you’re relying on some chick to map-read and they go all silent and sulky?'
https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/24/chauvini ... to=cbshare

"Boris Johnson told to apologise for calling Muslim women 'letterboxes' and 'bank robbers' in powerful exchange in Parliament"
https://www.businessinsider.com/pmqs-bo ... xes-2019-9

"He has been accused of dishonesty, elitism, and cronyism, and of using racist, sexist, and homophobic language."
"Johnson initially called the claims "piffle".[151] After the allegations were proven, Howard asked Johnson to resign as vice- chairman and shadow arts minister for publicly lying; when Johnson refused, Howard dismissed him from those positions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Johnson

"Boris Johnson is a far-right authoritarian leader."
https://prruk.org/boris-johnson-enables ... ight-back/

scooby

Postby scooby » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:01 am

SueA wrote:
scooby wrote:I can understand people who voted remain being against Boris as he was the architect of the referendum defeat, but when I see him being branded far right / facist/ racist etc it does make me chuckle.

Add liar and misogynist to the list and have a laugh at these then. A quick google and you could be laughing all day.

‘This battery powered, Indian-assembled saloon may be the hottest thing from Bangalore that doesn’t come with Poppadoms.’
‘You know how it is when you’re relying on some chick to map-read and they go all silent and sulky?'
https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/24/chauvini ... to=cbshare

"Boris Johnson told to apologise for calling Muslim women 'letterboxes' and 'bank robbers' in powerful exchange in Parliament"
https://www.businessinsider.com/pmqs-bo ... xes-2019-9

"He has been accused of dishonesty, elitism, and cronyism, and of using racist, sexist, and homophobic language."
"Johnson initially called the claims "piffle".[151] After the allegations were proven, Howard asked Johnson to resign as vice- chairman and shadow arts minister for publicly lying; when Johnson refused, Howard dismissed him from those positions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Johnson

"Boris Johnson is a far-right authoritarian leader."
https://prruk.org/boris-johnson-enables ... ight-back/
If you believe things that are written and blown out of proportion then that is your choice, nothing I or anyone else could change your mind.
Why do you want workers rights and environmental protections to stay in the legally binding WA?

SueA

Postby SueA » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:25 am

Scooby said

"If you believe things that are written and blown out of proportion then that is your choice, nothing I or anyone else could change your mind.
Why do you want workers rights and environmental protections to stay in the legally binding WA?"

Do you believe things that are written? If not, where do you get your ideas? Are some things blown up out of all proportion? Of course, but some things are not taken as seriously as they should be, such as blatant lying in Parliament or in front of the media cameras that the PM says are not there.

I want workers rights and environmental protections to stay in the legally binding WA, so standards will remain at least at the level that they are at now, and will not be reduced in order to cut costs, at the behest of the US or anyone else who wants to make money from the UK at the expense of the workers. US standards are lower than the UK and the US will demand a level playing field with the UK. Would you trust Johnson and Trump, and possibly Farage, to do anything to safeguard ordinary people, either in the workplace and the environment?

scooby

Postby scooby » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:45 am

I’m not getting involved in some tit for tat nonsensical argument over what and who is right or wrong. I am actually more moderate than comes across. I prefer to listen to people like Frank Field than Boris or Corbyn.

SueA

Postby SueA » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:45 pm

scooby wrote:I’m not getting involved in some tit for tat nonsensical argument over what and who is right or wrong. I am actually more moderate than comes across. I prefer to listen to people like Frank Field than Boris or Corbyn.

As Frank Field is not in power, and neither is Corbyn, what they say is not very important in the whole scheme of things. That is why we should worry more about what Johnson says and does (I refuse to call him Boris). What he does and says will have much more effect on our lives.

Anyway, the weather here in Crete is beautiful, life here is good so I'm going out to enjoy it. Have a nice day.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:51 pm

I get the impression that many people are not aware that EU mandated rights are minimum rights. Even as a member of the EU the government could, if it wished, increase those rights beyond what the EU defines. If the government really wanted to improve workers rights they could do so whether those rights are protected in the legally binding Withdrawal Agreement or in the non-legally binding Political Statement. It only matters where the rights are protected if you wish to reduce them. I'm sure that people can draw their own conclusion why Johnson wants them moved out of the WA and into the PS.

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:53 pm

SueA wrote:
scooby wrote:I’m not getting involved in some tit for tat nonsensical argument over what and who is right or wrong. I am actually more moderate than comes across. I prefer to listen to people like Frank Field than Boris or Corbyn.

As Frank Field is not in power, and neither is Corbyn, what they say is not very important in the whole scheme of things. That is why we should worry more about what Johnson says and does (I refuse to call him Boris). What he does and says will have much more effect on our lives.

Anyway, the weather here in Crete is beautiful, life here is good so I'm going out to enjoy it. Have a nice day.

I agree, The Sun is shining here in the UK also so time to take the dogs for a long walk.

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:08 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:Yes I read the piece Max Hastings wrote in the Guardian. FWIW If I had to choose one of them as prime minister , it's academic now 'cos I don't have a vote in the UK , Corbyn would get my vote.

Of course with a constituency system with First Past The Post, you get to vote for a local MP. In Cheltenham, my U.K. home, I actually bump into the Conservative MP and his Lib Dem challenger for the marginal seat walking round town, and both of them respond to emails quite quickly. It’s the oddest part of Brexit, the way people have re-engaged with politics and the local politicians are actually responding - did Syriza archive something similar in Greece to start with, maybe? These two are not so different from each other on Europe, or in their age and background, and they seem quite genuine and not at all cynical. But then, this is Cheltenham and there’ll only be an angry mob if Waitrose runs out of wholemeal pasta.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:58 pm

Or Avocado?

Warwick

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:07 pm

Kilkis wrote:Or Avocado?

Warwick

Waitrose in Cheltenham never dares run out of avocado. The natives would get far too restless.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:53 pm

Christmas present problem solved everyone is getting this ......

https://www.waterstones.com/book/led-by ... _nLhsinBcr
Last edited by Jeffstclair on Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”