I smelled a rat, and I found a rat

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
scooby

Re: I smelled a rat, and I found a rat

Postby scooby » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:55 pm

Kilkis wrote:
scooby wrote:Surprised you haven’t seen anything.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/10/t ... -meltdown/

I think this type of blog and similar ones on the remain side are simplistic to the point of being puerile. Around 33 million people voted. Each one had their own reasons for voting the way they did. Similarly there are 650 MPs in the House of Commons, each with their own ideas. Some certainly want a second referendum because they think it will result in a remain win. Some genuinely believe the deal on offer is so different from that promoted by leave before the first referendum that people should be given a second say. As a specific example if you were a Welsh sheep farmer who disliked the EU and you believed the leave claim that the UK could continue to trade exactly like being a member why wouldn't you vote to leave. Now you know you are going to face tariffs that will destroy your business perhaps your opinion will have changed. Some want a second referendum because they think a general election will not resolve the issue, either because they think it will lead to a hung Parliament or because the issue of Brexit will be mixed up all the other issues that concern people. If you want to leave but you like other Lib Dem policies who do you vote for? Or you want to remain but you like other Conservative policies?

This persistent trend of classifying everybody the same, on either side, is idiotic.

Warwick

I wasn’t making any sort of point with the link I provided, I was simply replying to a poster who hadn’t heard the people’s vote had gone into meltdown. Maybe I should have sought out a different link.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:47 pm

scooby wrote:When the remain campaign said if the country votes to leave there would be job losses of 800,000 and each family would be worse off by £4,300 by 2030 etc.. were they talking about a deal or no deal?

I look forward to the quick-as-a-flash Free Trade Agreement with the other 27 EU countries, AS PROMISED! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

scooby

Postby scooby » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:51 pm

bobscott wrote:
scooby wrote:When the remain campaign said if the country votes to leave there would be job losses of 800,000 and each family would be worse off by £4,300 by 2030 etc.. were they talking about a deal or no deal?

I look forward to the quick-as-a-flash Free Trade Agreement with the other 27 EU countries, AS PROMISED! Bob.

Nice deflection from a serious question.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:54 pm

I liked your deflection too!! Bob

scooby

Postby scooby » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:39 pm

bobscott wrote:I liked your deflection too!! Bob

Didn’t realise you asked a question.

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:36 pm

Maud wrote:It is what many of us on here have said would happen all along Howard.

The thing is that I am not sure an election is going to solve the problem.!

The problem isn’t solvable by any one act or event.

You have to go back to WW2 to start to make sense of Britain’s relationship with Europe, De Gaulle’s treatment of the U.K. in the post war, the struggle to join the EEC, joining it when the rules had already been set, Thatcher’s battle to get a rebate on our contributions, the Maastricht Treaty, the Lisbon Treaty, Cameron’s failed attempt to renegotiate membership terms, not to mention the post 2008 crash and declining industrial heartlands etc etc etc. And all that before the farce of the last three years, May’s election gamble going wrong etc. And we drive on a different side of the road. And we’ve never sorted our relationship with Ireland. Or Scotland’s relationship with England. Or London’s with the rest of the country.

That’s a lot of issues that have touched Brexit. And i’m sure there are many others. We’re not going to play happy families after an election. But it is a step in the right direction. We will get a rather more informed view of where the country stands on Brexit, beyond opinion polls and social media. We may even get Parliament that agrees on something. The last three December elections in the U.K. - 1911, 1918 and 1923, were all at times of political turmoil in the U.K. and we are still here. It could be a relief for people to have an input into decision taking rather than being stuck on the outside of parliament looking in.

Or it could be the worst, shoutiest, underhand and violent election ever. Got to take the risk. And have access to lots of cash to get away if you need to. When there was an election in Kenya, we used to keep $1,000 in cash and a full tank of petrol in case we had to drive across the border to Tanzania in an emergency. Happy days. I’m up for it.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:18 pm

scooby wrote:
bobscott wrote:I liked your deflection too!! Bob

Didn’t realise you asked a question.

I didn't. Like you, I made a statement. Bob.

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:02 pm

bobscott wrote:

No Bob you made a statement, I asked a question, notice the question mark at the end?
You need to be careful people will brand you in the same bracket as they do Boris.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:37 pm

RIP John Bercow :D

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:50 am

scooby wrote:
bobscott wrote:

No Bob you made a statement, I asked a question, notice the question mark at the end?
You need to be careful people will brand you in the same bracket as they do Boris.

Just to clear this up Scooby, I was referring to your statement on 29th Oct when you said: Nice deflection from a serious question.

No question mark in that one! Your original post was of course a question! Me, like Boris??? Heaven forfend! Bob.

Howard

Postby Howard » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:10 am

Whoops! I seem to have blundered into a pissing/willy waving competition.

scooby

Postby scooby » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:05 pm

Howard wrote:Whoops! I seem to have blundered into a pissing/willy waving competition.

You get used to it Howard, it’s a little annoying to keep digging back to old posts to prove that some posters are trying to mislead. As you can see it’s happened again. If I am wrong I have no problem whatsoever accepting it and move on but the nature of a forum most of the time just becomes bogged down in silly pettiness.
I say this in general terms and not about any one poster.

Howard

Postby Howard » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:17 pm

As someone coming fresh to this post topic I was being educated and stimulated by much of the earlier discussion. Now it seems to have sunk to who did or did not place a question mark somewhere. ( "oh yes you did", "oh no I didn't"). I don't want to "get used to it" so I will leave you to it, sadly. There is nothing that I like more than informed debate and this is.............................

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:25 pm

No,no, Howard. This is a forum with knowledgeable and enlightening responses from many. I enjoy reading and learning and have been helped out no end on various matters. Stick around, a lot of the banter is light-hearted. And no ‘willy-waving’ from me!x

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:13 pm

A bit of banter never does any harm! Live with it. Please.

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”