I smelled a rat, and I found a rat

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
Keltz

Re: I smelled a rat, and I found a rat

Postby Keltz » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:18 pm

Kilkis wrote:After a battle some/all of these accounts were reinstated but it illustrates what power the owners of the social media platforms have.

Also shows the extent government will go to try and control the media. There are many independent sites, online blogs and online news video channels out there with good information but you have to find them and judge their value. I know of three that were closed down now reinstated, one is run by an ex high ranking UK diplomatic official who today posted a link to expose this very conversation.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opende ... s-machine/.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:49 pm

All the examples in the link appear to me to be ones where Downing street is deliberately feeding fake news to the media and not examples where the media is creating fake news. You can't really blame the media if Downing street is consistently lying. Even in the case of real news the print media will spin the story to fit their agenda by carefully constructing the headline. They do this on all stories, not just political ones but, if you read the full story, you eventually find the reality. If the heart of the story is false there is no reality to find. I don't think you can blame the media for fake news when they are simply reporting stories they have been told. As far as Dominic Cummings is concerned any lie is acceptable providing it helps their narrative. He is fully aware that in the vast majority of cases there is no way to verify if the story is true or false. If someone says Treaty X will mean we have to do Y then you can go and read the treaty and find out if the story is true or false. If someone says that senior people in Downing street are investigating Z the only people who know are the so called senior people in Downing street and they are probably the ones feeding the story.

In most cases the public will believe any story that reinforces their own preconceived ideas and disbelieve any that don't. It doesn't matter what the source of the story is or whether it is delivered through mainstream media or social media.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:50 pm

This is an interesting thread but I can't help but wonder what started it running just now, over BREXIT. My Mother, who would have been 103 two days ago had she not died 11 years ago, used to tell me, as a small child, that the only thing you can trust in the papers is the date! This particular 'debate' on this platform, whilst as I say is 'interesting' is really proving nothing new. Politicians in general with perhaps one or two exceptions, are in it for power. A newspaper editor's job is to sell newspapers and make a profit for the owners and shareholders and will happily sacrifice the truth for sensationalism. Lobbyists, flogging a particular cause with the instinct of a used car salesman who can spot a sucker a mile away have been doing their jobs for centuries.

In the end, as Warwick puts it quite eloquently, most of us will believe what we want to because it fits with our ideas, and dismiss the other stuff as everything from fake news to downright lies and whatever else lies in between. All good fun, but is the effort getting us anywhere? Will anything of what we say influence the outcome of the election on December 12th? But it makes us feel good!!!!

Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:16 pm

I certainly won't have any influence on the election outcome whatsoever.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:52 am

Kilkis wrote:I certainly won't have any influence on the election outcome whatsoever.

Warwick

Ditto!

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:51 am

Ditto too. Maybe 16 and 17 year olds should get to vote as its their future. They should learn how it works and change things. Probably why they don't get to.

Maud

Postby Maud » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:38 am

In general, young people in the U.K. are not interested in politics. In fact the U.K. public is not as engaged in it as in so many other countries. - Greece being a good example. A common conversation over a family meal in Greece will touch on politics. Until Brexit I would say that hardly ever happened in the U.K.

The fact that we spend our time between Greece and U.K. means we are reasonably in touch with attitudes towards politics in both countries. The Greeks see it as part of their duty to be involved. (Voting is compulsory......although not adhered to!). In the U.K. is is seen by many as something to do if you have time to fit it in.......and the X often gets put in the same box out of habit. - People are too busy wrapped up in their own little worlds of work and play to take on the challenges facing the country. They then wonder why politicians have shown themselves to be corrupt and self motivating! We all know that unless people are ‘monitored/supervised’ they do as they please! I am not saying here by the way that corruption does not happen in Greece, but at least there everyone is aware of it. I think when the scandal of MP’s expenses was exposed in the U.K. it was a huge shock to many!

Young people need to get more involved as you say Keltz. Let’s hope Brexit has been a ‘wake up call’ to them. Youngsters in the U.K. need to know they have to take responsibility for their futures......as many young Greeks already do!

peebee

Postby peebee » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:46 pm

Keltz wrote:Ditto too. Maybe 16 and 17 year olds should get to vote as its their future. They should learn how it works and change things. Probably why they don't get to.

Unfortunately, I feel the youngsters are too influenced or even brainwashed at school to form their own opinion.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:52 pm

peebee wrote:
Keltz wrote:Ditto too. Maybe 16 and 17 year olds should get to vote as its their future. They should learn how it works and change things. Probably why they don't get to.

Unfortunately, I feel the youngsters are too influenced or even brainwashed at school to form their own opinion.

Presume you are talking about Greece? It seems to be the last thing on the minds of youngsters in the UK. Bob.

Maud

Postby Maud » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:24 pm

Spot on Bob. In the U.K. most youngster are not ‘engaged’ in politics at all!

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:57 pm

Spot on Maud & Bob tag a political vote onto Love Island - X factor or Big Brother 100% turnout :lol:

Maud

Postby Maud » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:34 am

I have never watched even one single episode of any of the programmes you have mentioned Kamisiana, so I am afraid your comment above has been ‘lost/wasted’ on me.

Each to their own!

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:34 am

Maud wrote:In the U.K. most youngster are not ‘engaged’ in politics at all!

Very true but they can be if encouraged to do so such as during 2014 Scottish Independence referendum where schools held debates, discussions and filled the Glasgow SSC Hydro to question politicians in the run up to the vote.

https://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/ ... liticians/

I doubt there was too much interest in leaving the EU 5 years ago but now everyone has an opinion on it. Young people are much more free thinking and should be encouraged to have their say.

Maud

Postby Maud » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:33 am

I agree totally Keltz. In fact OH and I were only having the very same conversation yesterday.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:03 am

Keltz wrote:
I doubt there was too much interest in leaving the EU 5 years ago but now everyone has an opinion on it. Young people are much more free thinking and should be encouraged to have their say.

It will be interesting to see the various analyses of how the various age groups voted, and for whom they voted post 12 December. If there is in upsurge of any size in youngsters voting I will be pleased - but surprised. Bob.

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”