The name of this forum is? Living in Crete!

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
ros21m

The name of this forum is? Living in Crete!

Postby ros21m » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:18 pm

I've been a member of this forum for many years, although I lost my original registered name, I don't post very often, because normally I can find the answers to most of the things I need to know within this group. I'm also quite able to search & look up things for myself on the internet!

The one thing that has really plagued/upset me through this whole brexit scenario, has been the anti EU sentiments/posts from several members of this group. Some have a "holiday home" here, some have already sold up & moved back, or are in the process of doing so. And of course there are some who live here.
WHY if you are so ANTI EU would you ;-
A) Buy a house in a foreign country?
B) Want to spend time in a foreign country?
C) Want to be a member of this group - Living in Crete?

bettyboo

Re: The name of this forum is? Living in Crete!

Postby bettyboo » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:02 pm

Don't start me off again ros :) I'm glad there are others that feel as strongly about it as me though.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:05 pm

Yeah, wondered that myself , though like me most of the people bought their homes or holiday homes well before Brexit was mentioned. I totally agree that it is a bit odd given their lifestyle choices and i am a Remainer that hopes to be able to live some of the time in my villa and that my kids will inherit and will be able to do so to. I cant say i am not worried.

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:07 pm

Bettyboo, I've seen & read many of your posts. I've been disgusted by some of the replies to you.

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:12 pm

chrirssyg,
totally agree with you.

I was a little suprised that Carolina allowed so much anti EU sentiment to be posted on here. But it's her forum/group & it did get a lot of posts, so......

bettyboo

Postby bettyboo » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:25 pm

It didn't surprise me ros and when they try to explain themselves it still doesn't make sense..we and they are very lucky that we have had the opportunity to live in Crete as freely as we could due to being in the EU and to support something that takes that chance away or makes it a lot more difficult for others in the future, these leave supporters should hang their heads in shame..but best not say anymore.

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:01 pm

I bought my house here in spring 2007 & was fortunate to move here permanently in September 2013. When I did all of this we were members of th EU. I did have a vote in the referendum & voted remain. I have only just reached 60, fortunately, I don't have to work, as I took early retirement from my job & it is sufficient for me to live here. I am paying for private Health insurance & had budgeted the cost until I get my state pension at 66.

The Brexit vote, threw all of that up in the air, MY only real concern, was would they still give me an S1 form, to qualify for free healthcare once I reached UK state pension age? It is being stated at the moment, that I will.

I know a lot of you living here, of UK extraction, in a similar position to myself, ie, retired, but under UK State pension age, were having similar concerns,

I'm also very much aware, that those of you already here with S1 & IKA books, were seriously worried!

I'm pretty sure with or without Brexit, it wouldn't have made much of a difference, to most of us EXCEPT for the Healthcare aspect!

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:32 pm

ros21m wrote:I was a little suprised that Carolina allowed so much anti EU sentiment to be posted on here.

When moderating this forum space I try and put my feelings to one side and allow 'debate'. I don’t just shut people down because I disagree with them.

Sometimes threads take on a life of their own and before you know it they are tens of pages long, I might not log in every day and check every single post, sometimes I am away for a few days and come back to hundreds of posts to plough through and PM’s of complaints, sometimes I just don’t have the time to deal with them swiftly or see who ‘started it’, other times I’ll just say ‘enough’ and lock the thread, which prompts further messages. It is a thankless & often weary task.

I’m sorry that people have been or felt insulted/verbally attacked (on all sides by the way, taking a step back I can say it is NOT 100% one - sided) but we are all adults & responsible for our own actions, so I'm also rather sorry that I have to say sorry for other people's behaviour!

ros21m wrote:But it's her forum/group & it did get a lot of posts, so......

I have NO interest, financial or otherwise, in getting 'a lot of posts'. There are no ads on the forum and no financial interest in it. In fact pages of posts work against my own interests, as stated above.

Now, who remembers Interkriti? I’ve been having flashbacks.

altohb

Postby altohb » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:50 pm

Carolina wrote:

Now, who remembers Interkriti? I’ve been having flashbacks.

Aargh - don't go there!

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:51 pm

I appreciate all you do Carolina. I used to be a moderator on a forum (like you, unpaid) and I appreciate the task before you. Thank you for providing a platform where we can learn, discuss and provide information to fellow members.
Someday is now : )

altohb

Postby altohb » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:09 pm

Yin&Yang wrote:I appreciate all you do Carolina. I used to be a moderator on a forum (like you, unpaid) and I appreciate the task before you. Thank you for providing a platform where we can learn, discuss and provide information to fellow members.

Quite agree - thanks from me as well, particularly for putting up with some of the crass idiocy.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:19 pm

I posted that to reply to ros21m, not for the thanks, but thank you!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:23 pm

Carolina wrote:...Now, who remembers Interkriti? I’ve been having flashbacks.

To quote the Churchill dog, "Oh yes!" Interkriti started as a very good forum and I used to contribute both to it and LiC BUT it was totally unmoderated. Most importantly there were no checks on who was posting as there was no sign up process. People could and did post contradictory posts on the same thread under many different names thus generating arguments. It became a troll heaven. I don't think there is any possibility of LiC going down that route. It had an interesting characteristic that people's IP addresses were saved but not displayed. It was possible therefore to discover IP addresses with a bit of light hacking and identify different posting names that were actually the same person. The late PaulH and I spent many a happy hour revealing exactly which posting names were actually the same troll, without revealing anything personal about them.

Do people really send PMs complaining that they have been insulted? I had always assumed that all people posting on here were adults. I must admit that I am aware of things going on in the world that I simply cannot comprehend, never have and never will. People seem to care what complete strangers think about them and say about them. Why? What is the point of a like or a dislike? Can you buy a beer or a carafe of wine with them? Why does it matter how many you have received? Why do people follow "influencers" and copy what they do? Why would anybody want to copy anybody else? They remind me of Jesse on the Fast Show. I always work on the principle that if you stick your head above the parapet you can expect to get it blown off.

Since you pay for the forum and run it, Carol, if I were you I would simply allow whatever you want to allow and delete whatever you want to delete and sod whatever anyone else thinks. I am pretty sure I have made posts in both categories and I certainly won't be offended if you delete any of mine because they don't fit with what you want the forum to look like.

Warwick

PS Thanks from me to.

Maud

Postby Maud » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:39 pm

Gosh....Interkriti! I remember when it started up, so that ‘dates’ me! In fairness it was a useful website in the beginning. I stopped posting and reading when it started to go ‘down hill.’ - Maybe we met in there as well Carol and Warwick?!

I certainly appreciate the effort you put in with this website Carol. It is yours.....and I trust you to edit it as you see fit. I am sure most of us also feel the same way.

As for other members like myself, who share our time almost equally between Crete and the U.K. I believe most of us feel very pro EU. (I certainly voted to ‘Remain’). It is the people who live full time on Crete and voted to leave that I cannot relate to!

There was also a bit of trolling on here recently by a new member who gave little information as to his whereabouts, - but I think one of his posts indicated he lived in the U.K. I must admit i cannot see what ‘enjoyment’ anyone gets from trolling and being obnoxious to others!

Keep up the good work please Carol.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:35 pm

Maud wrote:Gosh....Interkriti! I remember when it started up, so that ‘dates’ me! In fairness it was a useful website in the beginning. I stopped posting and reading when it started to go ‘down hill.’ - Maybe we met in there as well Carol and Warwick?!...

I posted on Interkriti as Kilkis, Maud, and on another Crete centred web site. That one also went down hill, for different reasons, so I stopped posting on it. The Interkriti forum closed on 15 July 2010 but the main site still exists. Many others on this forum, both past and present, also posted on Interkriti.

Warwick

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”