The name of this forum is? Living in Crete!

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
bobscott

Re: The name of this forum is? Living in Crete!

Postby bobscott » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:58 pm

altohb wrote:
Carolina wrote:

Now, who remembers Interkriti? I’ve been having flashbacks.

Aargh - don't go there!

Good Lord, don't even mention it! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

bettyboo

Postby bettyboo » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:02 pm

On 11 Feb there is a new series on Channel 5 called 'My New Greek Life' about couples that have left the UK to live in Greece..and couples reminded me about that old forum. I probably started looking at it about 2007/8 when planning on moving to Crete and the homophobic abuse the A Place In Greece couple Andrew and Brian received on there was shocking..plus the other stuff.

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:19 pm

Oh lawdy! Interkriti indeed! In fairness to it, it was in relative terms a new-fangled concept when it started here. In so much as still not everyone having a computer and certainly not lap tops and smart phones etc. I wonder if the term ‘troll’ was even around back then? I used to scan it when bored at my evening office job. I always felt quite on the periphery as I didn’t know who most of the people were talking about/moaning about...and didn’t want to. I certainly didn’t care for the nastiness involved.

I like to think that we have evolved since then.
Kudos to Carol and of course all of the remarkably helpful posters on here with such a wealth of knowledge and information.

Regarding your original question Ros. I too find it very hard to understand why people choose to live in European country and voted to leave.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:20 pm

The new Interkriti is probably Facebook groups, but this could probably still apply to the Brexit threads which have taken place on this forum ? :) :) Seems like it is just human nature ...

Q: How many people does it take to change a lightbulb in a Facebook group?

• 1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed.

• 14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

• 7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

• 17 purists who use candles and are offended by light bulb discussions.

• 6 to argue over whether it's 'lightbulb' or 'light bulb'.

• Another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid.

• 22 to tell THOSE 6 to stop being d*ckheads.

• 2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is 'lamp'.

• 15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that 'light bulb' is perfectly correct.

• 249 to post memes and gifs (several are of someone eating popcorn with the words: “I’m just here for the comments.”)

• 19 to post that this page is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a light bulb page.

• 11 to defend the posting to this page saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant here.

• 12 to post F.

• 8 to ask what F means.

• 16 to post 'Following' but there's 3 dots at the top right that means you don't have to.

• 3 to say "can't share"

• 2 to reply "can't share from a closed group"

• 36 People to post pics of their own light bulbs.

• 15 People to post "I can't see sh*t!" and use their own light bulbs.

• 6 to report the post or PM an admin because someone said "f*ck"

• 4 to say "Didn't we go through this already a short time ago?".

• 13 to say "Do a search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs".

• 1 to bring politics into the discussion by adding that (insert politician of choice) isn't the brightest bulb. This usually takes place within the first three comments.

• 50 more to get into personal attacks over their political views.

• 5 admins to ban the light bulb posters who took it all too seriously.

• 1 late arrival to comment on the original post 6 months later and start it all over again....

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:47 pm

:lol:
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:20 pm

Carolina wrote:The new Interkriti is probably Facebook groups, ...

There is still the original full Interkriti web site, i.e. not on Facebook, but I have no idea if it is really active. It does work. The web site existed long before the forum. A group of Cretophiles from all over the world wanted to raise money for a monument to the evacuation of soldiers from Crete during the second world war. They asked the owner of the web site to set up the forum so they could communicate more easily and he agreed to do so but had no interest in monitoring it. Because it had so many knowledgeable people posting on it, it attracted people asking questions, similar to the sort asked on LiC. For example one of the last posts back in July 2010 was someone asking if they really needed to get a Residence Permit. It fulfilled both functions quite happily for a long time but eventually became very Brit centric which did not appeal to some of the original contributors. One member then set up an independent web site for UK ex-pats and the two functioned in parallel for some time with many of us contributing to both fora. Because it was completely open with no monitoring and no moderating it eventually attracted more and more trolls with resultant deterioration. By then it had fulfilled its original purpose, which resulted in the monument that now stands near Preveli monastery, and the owner locked the forum, I suspect at the request of some of the original members.

Carolina wrote:...• 6 to argue over whether it's 'lightbulb' or 'light bulb'....

Fair play, Carol, you got me bang to rights there. My immediate reaction when I read that line was, "Neither is correct, it should be lamp". Then three lines later I read

Carolina wrote:...• 2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is 'lamp'...

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:29 am

:D Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:59 pm

ros21m wrote:The one thing that has really plagued/upset me through this whole brexit scenario, has been the anti EU sentiments/posts from several members of this group. Some have a "holiday home" here, some have already sold up & moved back, or are in the process of doing so. And of course there are some who live here.
WHY if you are so ANTI EU would you ;-
A) Buy a house in a foreign country?
B) Want to spend time in a foreign country?
C) Want to be a member of this group - Living in Crete?

I've kept out of discussions about Brexit although I might have made a couple of brief comments on the original interminable, thread which, apart from the very occasional peek, I gave up reading after the first couple of pages. When I did look it seemed to be nothing but speculation - how could it not be when nothing had/has been agreed between the UK and EU - and quite a bit of unpleasantness coming from people on either side of the argument.

I have never declared whether I support remaining or leaving and the Referendum was my final vote in the UK (my 15 years here disenfranchised me soon afterwards) and the only other person who knows which way I voted is my wife and that's the way it's staying.

I'm not telling anyone how I did vote but I'll answer your question as best I can based on attitudes of people I know well, some of whom are adamant remainers and others equally adamant leavers. Most, on either side, say they love living in Greece and Crete in particular. Nearly all bought homes here and a few rent long term and most claim to have excellent relationships with Greeks and other Europeans. Several have lived in other European countries and most have holidayed in many others. Apart from the occasional niggle about some of the more outlandish bureaucracy they are very content and have no desire to leave Greece. What many of them dislike is the political institution that is the EU. Even some of the remainers say they don't like EU interference in Britain's affairs but notwithstanding that believe that remain is the better option. What is abundantly clear is that those on either side of the fence are genuine Europhiles as far as people are concerned. What all the leavers and some remainers don't like is the political institution that is the EU, slowly eroding the independence of separate nation states over matters that, essentially, affect only them internally.

Brexit has happened; how about the remainers who are still whining and the leavers who are now gloating start behaving like rational human beings, set aside their differences and pull together in the same direction to ensure the UK has the best chance it can have to become the best it possibly can be whatever the situation now.
filippos.

P.S. Rant over. I will not say another word on the subject.

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:34 pm

I remmeber Interkriti & BIC, unfortunately, they were both plagued by some complete ........... I know there are several people on this forum who previously belonged to both, myself included! Anonymity, as Interkriti had, brought out the absolute worst in people. I'm still not completely happy with people being able to post on ANY forum, or any form of social media, using a pseudonym.

john4d

Postby john4d » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:17 pm

Ros21m wrote

One must not confuse being anti EU with being Europhobic.
The EU is a political institution not a country. Having visited many Eropean countries there is not one I didn't like, and certainly none I hated, however I do hate the EU and voted to leave, my democratic right, just as those who either love the EU or tolerate it voted to remain.

When I was young I visited Europe before the Treaty of Rome was signed, using my 7/6d British Visitors Passport and had no difficulty entering (and leaving!) any country. Later on in the late 1960's the only country I needed a visa for was Yugoslavia. One of my friends left school and immediately went to work in Hamburg as a musician. Why then do you think it will be difficult to visit Europe or work there after we leave? Unless of course the institution of the EU decide to make it more difficult as a punishment.

John
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:54 pm

john4d wrote:Ros21m wrote

One must not confuse being anti EU with being Europhobic.
The EU is a political institution not a country. Having visited many Eropean countries there is not one I didn't like, and certainly none I hated, however I do hate the EU and voted to leave, my democratic right, just as those who either love the EU or tolerate it voted to remain.

When I was young I visited Europe before the Treaty of Rome was signed, using my 7/6d British Visitors Passport and had no difficulty entering (and leaving!) any country. Later on in the late 1960's the only country I needed a visa for was Yugoslavia. One of my friends left school and immediately went to work in Hamburg as a musician. Why then do you think it will be difficult to visit Europe or work there after we leave? Unless of course the institution of the EU decide to make it more difficult as a punishment.

John

At last a breath of fresh air thank you John :wink:

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:44 pm

Surely John no-one was thinking that we would never be able to go abroad as a tourist or even be unable to get work visas . We were all concerned that we wouldnt be able to live here permanently or get health insurance and all the other concerns, along with caring about future freedoms for further generations. Hopefully good deals will be made but we couldnt take them for granted, surely? No point going over old arguments now is there, only time will tell but you must admit we are not crazy to be worried.

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:44 pm

john4d wrote:however I do hate the EU and voted to leave, my democratic right, just as those who either love the EU or tolerate it voted to remain.

Unless of course the institution of the EU decide to make it more difficult as a punishment.

That is what democracy is about after all and although sometimes neccessary to say these days it should be a given.

My view is to compare the EU and the UK as there are things I don't like about both. In terms of democratic accountability I would put the EU above the UK simply as within the EU all 27 countries have a vote and many have a veto on decisions. In the UK that is not the case where Wales, Scotland and N.I. parliaments all voted against the Westminster government WA yet the majority English vote across the UK has been used to impose it anyway.

So what is it that the EU does worse? I have no idea!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:14 am

Being a member of the EU is like any other purchasing decision. Being a member has advantages but it comes at a price. If you present any purchasing decision to a large group of people some will think the price is worth paying and others won't. Personally when faced with a purchasing decision I find it helpful if I know what I am buying and what it really costs.

Warwick

john4d

Postby john4d » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:19 am

chrissyg wrote

Surely John no-one was thinking that we would never be able to go abroad as a tourist or even be unable to get work visas . We were all concerned that we wouldnt be able to live here permanently or get health insurance and all the other concerns

Bettyboo Wrote

we and they are very lucky that we have had the opportunity to live in Crete as freely as we could due to being in the EU and to support something that takes that chance away or makes it a lot more difficult for others in the future

Unfortunately during the Brexit debate people did argue that tourist visas would be necessary to visit EU countries, which is why I mentioned Tito's Yugoslavia. Doubt is also being cast on UK students studying in European Universities or UK citizens living & working in European countries, all things we were able to do freely before we joined the EU. I do though share your concerns re Public Health Insurance, Driving Licences etc and hope that sensible agreements are made during the Transitional Period.

Keltz Wrote

In terms of democratic accountability I would put the EU above the UK simply as within the EU all 27 countries have a vote and many have a veto on decisions. In the UK that is not the case where Wales, Scotland and N.I. parliaments all voted against the Westminster government WA yet the majority English vote across the UK has been used to impose it anyway.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but if I remember correctly the Lisbon Treaty removed the veto and replaced it with Qualified Majority Voting

The main reason I voted Leave was that the EU is not just undemocratic but anti-Democratic. The EU Parliament duly elected by all 550 million EU citizens cannot instigate any new legislation. ALL legislation is proposed by the 28 (now 27) unelected commissioners. The EU Parliaments job is to debate and vote on the Commissions proposals. No one country, or even a small coalition of countries can defeat the commission.

A National Referendum is just that, National. If Greece were to hold a referendum and Crete voted with the minority, the majority would win. Crete might not like it but it is the price to be paid for being part of the Greek Nation. It's the same with all nations, even federal ones like Germany.

Anti Democratic ? Look at the Lisbon Treaty. It was originally proposed as a completely new Treaty and Constitution. Some counties had to have referendum to enter into such a new Treaty, the referendums were held and the people voted against. The Commission decided to withdraw that proposal and to amend the existing constitution, bypassing the need for referendum in those countries. This became the Lisbon Treaty. The Republic of Ireland had a referendum anyway and the citizens voted against the Treaty. The Commission told them to go back and vote again until they got the right result. Economic sanctions were threatend. Since then we've had elected Prime Ministers replaced by administrators in Greece and Italy.

However as has been said before the argument is over, the UK is leaving and Greece remains, only time will tell which choice would have been the right one.

I wish everyone on the forum health, prosperity and happiness in the future.

John
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”