Advice on UK residency rights in Greece

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
Voni

Advice on UK residency rights in Greece

Postby Voni » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:23 pm

I spotted in the newspaper that an organisation called The AIRE Center are holding some free one to one confidential sessions on information for UK Nationals about residence rights in Greece after the UK leaves the EU.

The events are in various locations across Crete this week.

Details are in the link below, I don’t know of the organisation so if you are interested I suggest you make your own enquiries about them and the proposed sessions, just thought I would flag it in case it might be of some help to people.

http://www.chaniapost.eu/2020/06/08/the ... 17th-june/

Kilkis

Re: Advice on UK residency rights in Greece

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:02 pm

Odd. Their main web site seems to be all about EU nationals acquiring EU Settled Status in the UK.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:30 am

Yes... they have a project they call Euro Brits ( who thinks these things up ?)... there is a link here https://www.airecentre.org/eurobrits... their aim is to inform us about Brexit ...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:26 am

I must admit I didn't look at every sub-section of the site so I missed that bit. I mainly looked at "Who we are", "What we do" and "Are you eligible for support". You would have thought they might have mentioned somewhere in there that they are also offering help to UK nationals on issues related to residency in the EU since, as you say Jeff, the heading Euro Brits isn't very informative. They look like a professional organisation but, like so many other web sites, I wish they would put the date of issue or latest update on their advice documents.

Warwick

BST

Postby BST » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:42 am

There has been lots of info about AIRE on the British in Greece FB site over the last few months.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:30 pm

Any info around yet about biometric residency permits, requirements to obtain one etc? All very quiet just now (probably understandable with Covid-19, but life has to go on.) Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

altohb

Postby altohb » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:01 pm

No-one knows yet, Bob. The British in Greece facebook group is definitely the place to watch for information; as they are affiliated with British in Europe, which is at the heart of the negotiations about rights, that is where I will look! The British embassy has failed us dismally so far, and I'm not relying on them for further info.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:56 pm

I seem to recall that the new biometric residency cards would not be issued until early 2021, Bob? As far as I know the existing EU Residence Certificates, either initial or permanent, will continue to be recognised until the new biometric cards are ready.

Personally I have found the British Embassy to be helpful and useful. It should be remembered that they are only a conduit for information, they have no control over what the information is. You might not like the message but don't shoot the messenger. At their outreach meetings they were unable to answer some questions but that was simply because the answer to those questions was not known by anybody at the time of the meeting.

As far as I can see the negotiations on citizens' rights were between the UK government and the EU Commission. They were enshrined in the withdrawal agreement, which has already been implemented in both UK and EU legislation. I see little or no evidence that the British in Europe group had any influence at all on the content of that agreement. I think there was little contention about that part of the agreement other than who monitors if both sides are sticking to it.

Warwick

altohb

Postby altohb » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:09 pm

Maybe I should have been more clear. British in Europe were not, of course, involved in the WA negotiations, but they are and have been involved in pressing for the details to be clarified by all nations involved so that we are all able to access, in good time, the required information. The approach to what we will have to do varies from country to country and this is what matters.

The latest from them is https://britishineurope.org/2020/06/16/the-guidance-note-part-1-residence-rights-procedures/.

I'm happy to post further details when available.

Re the Embassy. I agree that they can only pass on what information they have and are tied by the government's activities. However, while British Embassies in some countries have been more pro-active in keeping citizens up to date than others. "Our" Embassy falls into the latter category, imo.

Voni

Postby Voni » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:54 pm

Hopefully we should hear more by the 1st July....see below an extract from the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

“Greece will protect your residency rights according to the Withdrawal Agreement. You will need to have a residence document to prove these rights, prior to the end of the transition period.

a) If you already have a residence document issued under EU free movement law, this will be considered as your temporary residence permit until at least 31/12/2020 or at least until the end of the transition period if it is extended beyond 31/12/2020 (more info to follow soon). During this transitional period, you will have to apply for a new residence document according to new specific rules that will be put in place before 1 July 2020.“

https://brexit.gov.gr/uk-citizens-in-greece/

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:33 pm

The statement "During this transitional period, you will have to apply for a new residence document according to new specific rules that will be put in place before 1 July 2020." is not strictly accurate. Under the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement, countries that wish to introduce a system of applying for a new from of residency card must allow at least up to 30 June 2021 for people to apply. Countries can extend beyond 30 June 2021 if they need/wish to but they cannot terminate residency rights before that date. If Greece refuses to exchange an existing Residency Certificate, issued before 31 December 2020, for the new Residence Card in the period 1 January to 30 June 2021 then they are in breach of the Withdrawal Agreement. Even if they pass a Greek law saying that they won't issue the new Residence Card after 31 December 2020 you can challenge it in the Greek courts. The terms of the Withdrawal Agreement apply directly and are above Greek national law.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:08 am

............. and are they going to just exchange one for the other, or will there be a need to exercise the usual Greek bureaucratic system and provide supporting information like tax return, rental agreement, property deeds, etc? Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:32 am

Under the WA, for those with the Blue permanent residence cards, it SHOULD be a straight swap. Beige permit holders, will have to provide additional papers, almost certainly proof of healthcare, and a UK EHIC card won't be acceptable then & probably proof of monetary income/funds.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:43 am

Under the Withdrawal Agreement, if you already have a Permanent Residence Certificate it should simply be exchanged for the new Biometric Residence Card, possibly subject to a criminal record check.

If you have the Initial Residence Certificate, i.e you have not satisfied the 5 year qualification period for a permanent one, then you will be expected to produce proof that you still satisfy one of the conditions under which an initial Residence Certificate is issued. For most of us that will mean proof of where you live, e.g. deeds or a rental agreement, proof of income, e.g. Greek tax clearance form, bank book or P60, and proof of medical insurance, e.g. IKA book/certificate or private medical insurance policy. It is possible but not certain that an EHIC might be accepted.

I think there is some misunderstanding about requirements because of the procedures used. Once you have permanent residence the conditions required for initial residence no longer apply. In order to qualify for permanent residence, however, you need to satisfy those conditions throughout the 5 year period that qualifies you for permanent residence. This means that when you apply to exchange an Initial Residence Certificate for a Permanent Residence Certificate you are still asked to provide evidence as you were when you first got the Initial Residence Certificate. Effectively they are making the judgement that if you satisfy the conditions at the start and the end of the 5 year period then you probably satisfy it throughout.

Obviously whether the Greek law will reflect the rules and whether individual police stations will apply them correctly is always an open question. Personally I will be taking my deeds, my health book and my 22 years worth of tax clearance certificates with me, along with my passport and my Permanent Residence Certificate.

Warwick

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:00 pm

It is very, very unlikely that the biometric cards will be issued by the Police. As we will be TCN nationals from January I expect we will have to attend the Immigration office, alongside the Albanians, Afghans et al. As far as I am aware, but I could be wrong, EHIC cards, issued by the UK, for use on holiday, will no longer be valid. From what I have heard, talking to friends from Albania, the Immigratiion Office are complete sticklers, by the book & rules, nothing open to interpretation! I expect to have a completely different experience to the one I have had at the Police Station.

This is a link to what it is thought we will have to do/go. https://www.amna.gr/en/article/467823/D ... UAnbsigQsI

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”