Brexit Living in Greece Website

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
Kilkis

Re: Brexit Living in Greece Website

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:27 pm

Yes it does. For example it has always been stated that you could be subject to a criminal record check so an officer would carry that out. If you did have a criminal record your application could be refused. Also the Withdrawal Agreement is completely based on you being "legally" resident in Greece at the end of 2020. Your legal right to reside up to the end of 2020 is based on the EU Directive and, especially in the case of the beige card, that has conditions attached. If you can't prove that you meet those conditions then you are not "legally" resident and so could be refused. Even in the case of the blue certificate, if you had left Greece for over 5 years since the certificate was issued then it would no longer be valid and you wouldn't necessarily be "legally" resident.

You are not applying to be granted residence under third country rules, as you would if you came now, you are simply demonstrating that you are legally resident under the rules of the EU Directive. We will see what happens but, as far as I can see at this point, what they are requesting is completely legitimate and completely within the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement and the EU Directive on which it is based. Some reports I have heard about other places in Greece, but not seen myself, do seem over bureaucratic but not necessarily outside the rules.

Warwick

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”