Passport Photos

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
Kilkis

Passport Photos

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:19 pm

Anybody know if the shops that do passport photos are open? I assumed they were all closed like other retail? If so it makes it a bit difficult to get the photos needed for applying for a biometric residence card? Just a thought.

Warwick

Tim

Re: Passport Photos

Postby Tim » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:26 pm

I tried today, Warwick. The two I know of in Sitia are both closed, so my application is on hold.

Tim

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:51 pm

Hi Warwick. Short answer - don’t know. Longer answer... a very good passport/video/framing shop in Souda. Tel 28210 81727. 69 32 98 02 90 Email. soudaphoto@gmail. www.soudaphoto.gr.
If coming from the east take Souda exit off highway, follow road passed the barracks/military. Continue pass entrance for the port. On left hand side and before the large supermarket that has parking opposite.

margarita

Postby margarita » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:19 pm

The Photo Copy Shop in Kalyves is open and does a variety of photographs. We had driving license photographs taken there recently.

The shop is at the side of the car park near the laundry in Kalyves. If anyone needs further directions please PM me.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:00 pm

Last time I drove past, recently, the shop in Souda, described above, was closed for lockdown.
Someday is now : )

margarita

Postby margarita » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:23 am

I will check the shop in Kalyves today, just to make sure I haven't been taken in by the huge OPEN sign in their window!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:26 am

They might also have some other retail function that is allowed, Margarita?

Warwick

margarita

Postby margarita » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:12 pm

The Photo Copy Shop in Kalyves will be closed tomorrow (6th) & the day after (7th).

After that it will be open until 2.00 p.m. on normal working days. The phone number is 28250 32057. It may be worth ringing first if you are travelling any distance.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:40 pm

I normally get passport photos done at a computer shop in my village. I thought it was closed because of the restriction on retail but apparently it can open specifically for providing photos required for things like passports, ID cards, driving licences etc, but not for selling computer parts I think. It was open this morning and a friend managed to get me four prints from a photo they had on file from January when I renewed my driving licence.

One job done. Thanks for all the info. I guess whether any particular shop opens or not might depend on how the details of the restrictions affects their particular trade.

Warwick

Midlander

Postby Midlander » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:15 pm

Happy New Year to all on the forum.
Apologies if this has already been asked. Should biometric photos be passport size and not the slighty larger ones that were needed for the Greek driving licence.?

altohb

Postby altohb » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:30 pm

Midlander wrote:Happy New Year to all on the forum.
Apologies if this has already been asked. Should biometric photos be passport size and not the slighty larger ones that were needed for the Greek driving licence.?

The documentation says passport size.

hairybloke

Postby hairybloke » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:28 pm

Passport photos need to be 40 x 60 mm, not the UK's size of 35 x 45. We went to Chania police station armed with 35 x 45 ones, presuming passport photo sizes were universal, and were told they were too small. There's a photo shop a few doors up the road (North) on the same side as the police station. Very efficient at taking and printing out the correct size x 4.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:52 pm

The specification involves more than the overall size of the print. There are also min/max limits on the distance from the chin to the top of the head, the distance across the head where the ears join the face and the distance from the bottom of the photo to a line drawn through the centre of the eyes. It is worth checking these before going to the police station. The original photos I got did not meet the specification so I got new ones done, at no charge, before I went for my appointment. I am not sure how carefully they are checking?

Warwick

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:20 pm

Thanks for all of the input on this thread. I checked my utterly gormless photos and they were UK size i.e too small. So now have bigger utterly gormless photos! I’ve never been able to ‘take’ a good photo, even as a child, absolutely loathe it. I’ve never taken a selfie and shudder at the thought! In my day taking a selfie wasn’t a thing. The closest we got was to take daft photos to use up the film in the camera, usually pulling faces - I can do that!
Thanks too for the specification. The lady in the photo shop was very particular and moved my overgrown lockdown hair away from my forehead and behind my ears. She was very aware of the points which have to be met.

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”