Driving with a Uk Licence

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
Kilkis

Driving with a Uk Licence

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:22 pm

A suggestion for those still driving in Greece on a UK licence. If you are stopped by the police for any reason, perhaps just a routine check, you are normally asked for your driving licence and your identity document. It is possibly advisable to use your passport as your ID rather than your biometric residence card? Your biometric residence card effectively declares that you are resident in Greece while a UK licence is declaring that you are resident in the UK. I am not specifically aware that anybody has had any problems using a biometric card with a UK licence but there is an obvious conflict that might cause problems. Just a thought.

Warwick

Tim

Re: Driving with a Uk Licence

Postby Tim » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:59 pm

I guess that would work if they only looked at the passport to check identity. If they 'ran' the passport, would the system not come back with the information that a biometric id had been issued to that passport holder/number? Still good advice, though.

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:12 pm

I've been stopped by the police a few times in random stops, not for any offence, and they have only ever looked at the passport and looked at me to make sure it is my picture. I have never known them run any check.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:23 pm

I got pulled over for an offence last year. They took my passport and all my vehicle docs back to the police car and spent 15 minutes doing something or other. I was assuming Interpol were involved, at the very least ...

Tim

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:04 am

Driving with a UK licence whilst living in Crete is an offence. The licence is not valid and may have been obtained with a false declaration. I also wonder if driving a car with Greek plates registered to you, using a UK Driving licence, would invalidate the Insurance.
We are guests in Greece and therefor should ensure that we play by the rules.
We should all have a Greek driving licence.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magna

Voni

Postby Voni » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:16 pm

Those persons who qualify under the withdrawal agreement can, until December 2021 exchange their UK licence for a Greek licence without having to take a Greek driving test.

Post Brexit the fee and documents required has changed, your local KEP or MOT can process this for you. (You now have to provide documents which prove your residence pre the Brexit deadline.

Processing time can vary, just had my husbands done from an application made in early November!

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:41 pm

It seems that those who RELUCTANTLY exchanged their U.K. driving licence for a Greek one to meet the published deadline might have wasted their time, effort and money:

** Update from Julia Cross - Brits in Greece **
“I've written to the Brexit team (Greek Ombudsman) on behalf of British in Greece requesting urgent written confirmation that UK driving licences will remain valid in Greece for both visitors and residents according to provisions set out in article 25 of the new legislation number 4850/2021.

I was explicit that I wish to publish their reply on this page.
This is following a phone conversation I had with one of their members today who told me that UK licences will indeed be valid for residents beyond the extension date for exchange of 31/12/21 and that we can expect a directive shortly. It also follows several reports from members that their Ministry of Transport office has now advised them that they don't need to exchange and also a written reply in the same vein from the Brexit team to someone who enquired.
However, I feel it would be wise not rely on spoken or second-hand information for such an important issue hence the request for written confirmation so that we can finally put this issue to bed!”

Buz

Postby Buz » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:24 am

Rik, you live in Greece, live and love the Greek life. Forget the UK. Go on just get your Greek license and enjoy the good life.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:53 pm

There are two issues here.

Generally, in the UK and all EU countries, driving licences of other countries are recognised for a period of time. The times may vary from country to country BUT always expire when the licence needs renewing.

In the UK and all EU countries a driving licence is only supposed to be issued by the appropriate authority in the country where the person is permanently resident. No authority will issue a licence to a person who gives an address in another country. People who get round this rule by giving an address where they are not permanently living are not obeying the rules.

The above update from Julia Cross ONLY addresses the first issue. It does NOT address the second issue. Try getting her to ask the Greek authorities if a UK citizen who is permanently resident in Greece and whose UK licence expires, is it OK for them to renew their licence in the UK using an address where they do not live, e.g. a relative or friend.

Warwick

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:15 pm

Sorry Warwick, in this instance I must disagree with your wisdom.

Anyone living in Greece and driving a vehicle MUST change their UK Driving Licence for Greek one.
Using a friend or relation's address in the UK so that an expat can obtain a UK driving licence is illegal as the Statement made about Residential address is incorrect and therefor invalidates the Licence, and possibly the car Insurance.

All Expats must obtain a Greek Driving Licence to be 100% legal. I was stopped by the Police last year for a roadside check. Not only did the Officer check vehicle documents also requested my Driving Licence and ID or Passport. I provided my old 10 year card. He was satisfied that all was correct.

I would be interested to read from any British expat living here as their main Residence as to why that person objects to changing to a Greek Licence.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magna

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:00 pm

Kilkis wrote:In the UK and all EU countries a driving licence is only supposed to be issued by the appropriate authority in the country where the person is permanently resident.

I’m inclined to agree with you on this point, but I think an exception would be an expatriate with a second home in the U.K. Would an individual be acting dishonestly by renewing their U.K. licence using their U.K. address, where they pay utilities and council tax?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:51 pm

Mike, I wrote:

Kilkis wrote:...Generally, in the UK and all EU countries, driving licences of other countries are recognised for a period of time. The times may vary from country to country BUT always expire when the licence needs renewing.

As far as I can see this statement is true. It appeared that in Greece the period of time was the end of 2021. The UK has decided to keep its previous rules of up to age 70 or 3 years if you arrive after age 67. However, the law referenced by Julia Cross was issued after the decree that set the end of 2021 deadline and contains the following paragraphs in Article 25:

Holders of a valid driving license for mopeds, motorcycles, motorcycles, quadricycles and passenger cars during their stay in Greece and whose driving license has been issued by the United States of America or Canada or the United Kingdom or the Commonwealth of America and the United Kingdom and Gibraltar.

The driving of the vehicles in question by the above requires the possession of a valid national license of the respective categories provided that it is accompanied by an official translation into Greek or English.

While this doesn't explicitly include residents it does not explicitly exclude them. While it includes the phrase "during their stay in Greece", which could imply non-resident, every sub-paragraph preceding this one explicitly excludes people who are resident in Greece. Residents are "staying" in Greece. I think it is this paragraph on which Julia Cross is seeking clarification. I also wrote:

Kilkis wrote:...In the UK and all EU countries a driving licence is only supposed to be issued by the appropriate authority in the country where the person is permanently resident. No authority will issue a licence to a person who gives an address in another country. People who get round this rule by giving an address where they are not permanently living are not obeying the rules....

which is just agreeing with your statement.

I think it depends where you are judged to be resident, which is usually determined by the 183 day rule, Rick. If the person was resident in the UK for more than 183 days in each year then they would quite rightly renew their licence in the UK. If they were resident for more than 183 days in Greece then they should switch to a Greek licence and not renew it in the UK. They would probably get away with it either way at the moment. As the Schengen digital recording system of entry and exit becomes active and possibly gets accessed by government departments other than immigration then that might change.

Warwick

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:01 am

I was stopped a couple of days ago at a roadside check point. The officer asked me for my documents, I produced insureance ( which showed my Greek address ) and I gave him my uk driving licence. I asked if everything was ok with my licence , he said yes , no problem , you can now use your uk issuied licence until it's run out date following a new announcement they received last week . Mine runs out in 2026 , The roadside check was manned by traffic officers so I would think they would be more up to date on the traffic law relating to uk licences .

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:38 am

I suspect that you are correct. Experience shows that you have to be careful Googling such information as it changes over time and Google will often supply older information because it has many more hits than the latest version. Also the Greek government are notorious for posting information on a variety of web pages and then not updating them all when the information changes. For example the Greek Brexit web site section on driving is still based on the decision of 2 February 2021 that was updated on 27 April 2021. The "use until it expires" rule is in line with how the UK government treats EU driving licences.

thebigbluecheese wrote:...The roadside check was manned by traffic officers so I would think they would be more up to date on the traffic law relating to uk licences .

I agree with this sentiment but with a certain amount of caution. A friend came across three traffic officers talking on a corner in Chania and asked them if they could tell him what the speed limit was on the New National Highway in areas where there is no specific speed limit sign. He got three different answers.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:25 pm

Good job they weren't economists then. As 3 of them a question and you get 3 answers with another 3 possible alternatives!
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”