How to become a greek resident

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Mixos

Re: How to become a greek resident

Postby Mixos » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:38 pm

No, the process wasn't illegal, chrissy, as I'm sure the civil servant who got me to sign the declaration (a legal document as Warwick pointed out) would not have put her job at risk -- and she had nothing to gain by it. It's just that rules and regs in Greece are quite "elastic," and often open to multiple interpretation, even by those who should know! I can't be the only ex-pat to have acquired a car perfectly legally by this method but as Warwick advises, if you are at all doubtful then a residence card may be the way to go -- especially with the uncertainty of our rights here after Brexit.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:08 pm

chrissyg wrote:Or is it the same thing but i need one with my greek address on it?

NO!!! You need the normal EHIC that you get from NHS as a UK resident visiting other EU countries. You are still living in the UK not in Greece.

Nobody's going to make you stay for 3 months. You go to a police station with the documents outlined on the main LiC web site. If they ask you why you want a residence certificate you say you want to purchase a car and you need it to transfer ownership to you. They should understand that concept. If they ask you, but only if they ask you, you say that you haven't been here 3 months yet but you intend to stay longer than 3 months so you do need a residence certificate legally. Nobody is going to check how long you actually stay.

There is nothing illegal about using a legal declaration as discussed by Mixos. Technically if you declare that you are staying for 2 months and then you stay over 3 months then that would be illegal because you made a false declaration. It would be crazy for someone who is staying here long term to use that route rather than getting a residence certificate. I understand that you are only staying short term so your declaration is truthful. It wouldn't matter if it was a bit less or even a bit more than 2 months. People's plans change so that wouldn't count as a false declaration. If however you stayed more than 3 months then it would be a false declaration. It's the purpose of the declaration that matters not the exact time. You are making the declaration to avoid getting a residence certificate because it is not relevant for you to get one. If you stay more than 3 months then it would be relevant for you to get one so the declaration is false.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Yes , thanks, i see what you mean. I would like a residence permit so might as well go on that route next time we come out for a long stay which probably wont be until after Brexit, which means it will all be changed no doubt anyway.

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:54 pm

chrissyg, the way I read the current situation (and I'm not saying I'm correct) you should definitely get a temporary resident's permit whether you feel you need one or not. Once we leave the EU they will become invalid for British citizens, but may well be one of the qualifying criteria for applying for the new Residence Certificate brits will need to live out here as outlined on the UK Government's website here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/advice-for- ... =immediate

I'm guessing, but I would think you'd need to apply for a Temporary Permit before 29th March next year - I doubt they'll be issuing them after that date.

The info on the website implies that any British citizen who doesn't have the new certificate will be treated as a visitor to the EU and will only be able to visit for 3 months in any 6 month period (which is the rule now for non-EU citizens). The one thing that any residency permit doesn't seem to require is any degree of residency!

Member states will be allowed to set their own criteria for eligibility for the new document, but I guess it's worth having as much documentation as possible to prove you have a right to remain after the Brexit implementation period (1/1/2021).

Of course it depends if EU member countries bother to implement either the new or existing rules .... or make up their own rules ....

Tim

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:15 pm

Mixos wrote:Apropos the comments by filippos and Warwick, yes I suppose it might depend on an individual seller or dealership ..... we bought ours from a main dealership...
Both the cars I referred to were new and bought from a main dealership. The one I fell out with was Peugeot as was the one who finally provided the car. The car bought two years ago was from Suzuki main dealership in Xania where we had, and continue to have, excellent service (Suzuki hasn't needed more than routine services). When deciding what to buy we only visited main dealerships. Some were adamant that a Res. Permit was essential others said not needed.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:10 pm

Tim wrote:...Member states will be allowed to set their own criteria for eligibility for the new document, but I guess it's worth having as much documentation as possible to prove you have a right to remain after the Brexit implementation period (1/1/2021). Of course it depends if EU member countries bother to implement either the new or existing rules .... or make up their own rules ....

Tim

As far as I can see if the EU and the UK reach an agreement then the terms of that new agreement, e.g. as outlined in the December accord, will be incorporated into a new EU Treaty/Regulation. In that case I don't think member states can make up their own rules. If no agreement is reached then Schengen rules would apply and again member states wouldn't be able to set their own rules.

Having said that, Greece does have form for having individual requirements. For example they might agree that people who have lived in Greece for more than 5 years can stay but they might have their own criteria for how that can be proved.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:42 pm

Scary :cry:

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:17 pm

A bit scary, to be sure. However, whatever criteria is required for the new residency document is likely to be made reciprocal by the uk government, so it's unlikely to be horribly stringent - I'm sure the Greek government doesn't want hundreds of disgruntled fish and chip shop owners swarming back from england. That said, the beige permit is one of the requirements for a blue permit so it seems logical it will be a requirement for the blue permit's replacement. I'd get one as quickly as possible - cost you 30 cents!

Tim

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:48 pm

As one of the rules is proof of regular income then as i am not getting the state pension yet (as they saw fit to postpone that from my expected 60 to 66 ,) i csnnot actually live in Crete yet anyway. So they wouldnt give me residency just yet so i will just hope that brexit doesnt screw it all up completely!

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:06 pm

A repetitive parrot speaking: get a lawyer. The dealer we bought ours through was friends with our lawyer - and we drove in our car to register as residents.....I lived in Africa for 14 years and Greek bureaucracy is an absolute breeze, believe me.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:12 pm

Yes I think it is worth getting a residence permit. The first one I got 12 years ago was very simple, at the police station it took about half an hour if you you don't count the time it took walking back into town to photo copy the form because they only had one and the photocopy machine in the police station was not working ....after that it was easy the police woman who did the application was delighted because as well as getting the forms for us we got a few more for her ... The second permanent one took a bit longer with a delay of a few weeks because I had to out sort health insurance and present the paper work to the police station and pick up the card... No one knows if this card will have any value after the UK leaves the EU..but its better than nothing ....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:45 pm

chrissyg wrote:As one of the rules is proof of regular income then as i am not getting the state pension yet (as they saw fit to postpone that from my expected 60 to 66 ,) i csnnot actually live in Crete yet anyway. So they wouldnt give me residency just yet so i will just hope that brexit doesnt screw it all up completely!

There is no requirement to prove a regular income just enough money to support yourself. I know people who came to Greece with no pension income at all but they had savings in the UK that they used to live on. They transferred money from those savings to Greece a little at a time, i.e. three or four thousand Euro, on an as-needed basis. They had no problem getting a residence certificate.

I presume you transferred money to Greece in order to purchase the property you bought? If so you have a bank book/statements showing money flowing into Greece from the UK. It is quite probable that they would be accepted as proof of income. If every penny you transferred in has now been spent and the account is empty then it probably wouldn't work but if you have a few thousand Euro in the account to cover expected expenditure here then it should be OK. Remember you are not telling them that you are staying here permanently just more than 3 months. €3,000 would easily cover that.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:04 pm

Agreed. Sight of my Eurobank account book was sufficient to satisfy them I had means. I think it's been highlighted before that it's neither here nor there to the Greek authorities whether you can support yourself or not. You're not entitled to benefits and, if you can't support yourself, you'll just starve ...

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:44 pm

True. I might give it a go next time we are out here. Thanks.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:57 pm

So do we literally go into our nearest Police Station and ask for a residence certificate?

Return to “General Discussion & News”