Greek Driving Licence

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: Greek Driving Licence

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:38 pm

I had to get my old green paper licence translated. Fortunately one of my work colleagues did it for me and the lawyer used by the company certified it free of charge. I think that would have been more expensive done the normal way. There was quite a lot of text on it.

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:22 pm

altohb wrote:Was there not a requirement to have your UK licence "officially" translated into Greek, Carolina? We had to do this at our lawyer - charge was smallish, but it had to be done.

No, they didn't ask for a translation. I just produced the original documents and gave them photocopies of the pink photo card and the green counterpart.

Phild

Postby Phild » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:13 pm

Carolina wrote:Finally got around, this week, to applying to change my UK driving licence for a Greek one. Yes, I should have done it about 20 or 30 years earlier, but hey ho, and now Brexit calls...

Congratulations! We are trying to do the same...

...but

Carolina wrote:
2) Photocopy of residence certificate. (I believe it should have been issued at least 95 days beforehand for EU citizens or 180 + days beforehand for non EU).

Do you have a reference for the EU citizens part? We went to KEP for the driving license exchange, after having got the permanent residence permits in November, but were told we needed to get the permit 180 days before applying - now, that will put us into April sometime (oops!). If there is something I can point to that says for EU citizens it's a 95 day waiting period, then we have a chance of getting the Greek driving license, unless there is an article 50 extension, or unicorns appear, etc... :?
----
Phil
----

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:16 pm

No need for translation. My driving license also cost Euro 30 including motorcycle entitlement.
Note that the photo ID for the driving license has to be a very specific has to be of a very specific size and design. The lady at the mixanologiko told me to mention that it was for a driving license when I got the photo made.

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:22 pm

We went to KEP for the driving license exchange, after having got the permanent residence permits in November, but were told we needed to get the permit 180 days before applying

I was under the impression that it wasn't possible anymore to exchange the driving licenses through KEP (went to two of them and both told me that) so I went to the mixanologiko (sorry, don't know what that's called in English) and as far as I remember they needed a residence permit about 3 months old ...not much of an issue for me as it is decades old.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:54 pm

Phild wrote:...Do you have a reference for the EU citizens part? We went to KEP for the driving license exchange, after having got the permanent residence permits in November, but were told we needed to get the permit 180 days before applying...

I exchanged my licence many years ago in northern Greece. The application form was M15 and it was about half an A4 page. Below the application were 11 notes stating what you needed to do. Note 10 stated that you had to provide a residence permit, which I didn't have at the time, issued 180 days before the date of the application. The lady dealing with it crossed this out and wrote 95. It is possible that the licence offices are aware of the difference but KEP is not. I would suggest going directly to the licence centre.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:01 pm

Jean wrote:...I was under the impression that it wasn't possible anymore to exchange the driving licenses through KEP (went to two of them and both told me that) ...

I last renewed mine in February 2017 and KEP did everything for me then. They told me that they wouldn't be able to do it anymore when I was 80 and I would then need to go directly to the licence centre.

KEP is very variable and depends very much on the staff in each office. The office in Alikianos was brilliant but then it closed down. I have found the one at Vamvakopoulo and the one close to the licence centre off the Souda road very good. The one at Gerani is completely useless. Whatever you ask them they can't do it.

Warwick

Phild

Postby Phild » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:13 am

Many thanks for your advice - it looks like a trip to the License centre is the best policy - If we have any luck I will post a comment here, but it won't be 'til March sometime before the 95 days is up, so it won't be for a while.
----

Phil

----

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:10 pm

When were in Kalyves KEP yesterday putting in all the paperwork to have our Greek licences renewed (including driving test!), a Brit lady was in there and they were processing her application to change from UK to Greek licence. Kalyves KEP are invariably helpful and on the ball. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

BST

Postby BST » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:14 pm

Is the 95 days for the blue or beige residence permit?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:47 pm

I'm not sure. When I exchanged my licence there was only one sort of permit that had to be renewed every 5 years. At that time that permit must have been issued at least 95 days before you submitted the application to exchange the licence. The current beige and blue certificates came into force around 2006. Logically it would make sense if the beige one had to be issued at least 95 days before but the blue one didn't, since in order to get the blue one you must have already been legally resident in Greece for 5 years. Having said that, the licences are being exchanged by a Greek government agency so I am not sure that appealing to logic is very logical, if you see what I mean.

Warwick

Phild

Postby Phild » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:23 am

BST wrote:Is the 95 days for the blue or beige residence permit?

Either - our nice KEP lady said "You should have changed the driving license BEFORE you got the blue residence permit"

Yes, I know, it makes no sense to me either - you'd think that if you have the blue permit, it stands to reason that you've had the beige one for at least 5 years previously. Another one to chalk up to "...the letter of the law, not the spirit..."
----

Phil

----

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:35 am

I think you misunderstand what she was saying. I think she is saying that you should not have continued driving on a UK licence for over 5 years. It is a debatable topic. Article 11 Paragraph 1 of Directive DIRECTIVE 2006/126/EC states:

1. Where the holder of a valid national driving licence issued by a Member State has taken up normal residence in another Member State, he may request that his driving licence be exchanged for an equivalent licence. It shall be for the Member State effecting the exchange to check for which category the licence submitted is in fact still valid.

Clearly use of the word "may" implies that it is up to you. UK Law says that you can continue using a valid EU licence in the UK up to the age of 70 or for 3 years, whichever is the longer, i.e. you could continue up to 71 if you arrive aged 69 or 72 if you arrive aged 68. I presume Greece has some similar provision although the details may be different. The problem hinges around the word "valid". In the UK the law requires that your licence must be registered to your permanent address. You cannot register a UK licence to a Greek address so if your permanent address is in Greece it is debatable if the UK licence is still "valid"?

Warwick

Phild

Postby Phild » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:39 pm

Kilkis wrote:I think you misunderstand what she was saying.

In this case, she explicitly said that we couldn't get the license exchanged because we hadn't had the blue permit for 180 days - then she went on to say that we should have come to her before going to the police station to get the blue permit, then it would have been ok. I suspect that she doesn't know about the 95 day rule for the EU residence permit, and I plan on going to have a chat with her to see if she can get call the license centre to get a clarification. This is the Kissamos KEP, and Georgia is a nice, helpful (and usually very knowledgeable) person.

On the other hand, at this stage, we are looking long and hard at whether it will be better to keep the uk license, and get a 3-year IDP, rather than change to a Greek license and go through the medical tests at later stages. I haven't looked everything up and balanced the merits yet, but I am increasingly feeling that the former might be the easiest way to go, particularly if the UK medical tests remain as self-certification. In our case though, we do have a UK address as well.
----

Phil

----

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:02 pm

Phild wrote:
Carolina wrote:
2) Photocopy of residence certificate. (I believe it should have been issued at least 95 days beforehand for EU citizens or 180 + days beforehand for non EU).

Do you have a reference for the EU citizens part? We went to KEP for the driving license exchange, after having got the permanent residence permits in November, but were told we needed to get the permit 180 days before applying - now, that will put us into April sometime (oops!). If there is something I can point to that says for EU citizens it's a 95 day waiting period, then we have a chance of getting the Greek driving license, unless there is an article 50 extension, or unicorns appear, etc... :?

I have just had a search online Phil and only found conflicting information on the Ministry website, but it looks like the 185 days may be the latest info, I'm afraid.

The English version is here http://www.yme.gr/index.php?getwhat=1&o ... d=&tid=537

While the Greek version is here http://www.yme.gr/?aid=0&tid=282 Link 2.09 downloads a form and info.

The English version says 2 photos, a translation required, and 95 days residency for EU citizens.

The Greek version says 1 photo, no mention of translation and the residence certicate must have been issued at least 185 days previously.

I assume the Greek version is the most up to date and the correct one. I did only have to give one photo and was not asked for a translation.

Return to “General Discussion & News”