Highway Roadworks near Aptera

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
peebee

Re: Highway Roadworks near Aptera

Postby peebee » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:22 pm

Went through there at 11.00 this morning towards Chania - no police, just badly timed lights - about 12-15 getting through each time, delay time was about 10 mins.
Coming back about 1 hour later, there was 1 policeman at Aptera end, letting around 100 cars at a time each way, delay time about 5 mins.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:51 pm

It's a difficult judgement. There is a dead time between lights going green to allow cars to clear the distance between the lights. Make the cycle too short and the dead time becomes a significant part of the cycle, which is inefficient. Make the cycle too long and you can have a light sat at green with no cars waiting to go through while cars pile up in the other direction, which is also inefficient. The problem is worsened if the flow is asymmetric but the cycle isn't. Obviously a policeman can correct for these problems on each cycle. They really need a multi-parameter control system rather than a simple timer but the infrastructure doesn't exist at a temporary installation.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:02 pm

Kilkis wrote:Make the cycle too long and you can have a light sat at green with no cars waiting to go through while cars pile up in the other direction, which is also inefficient.

Warwick

I'm sure ones in the UK had a sensor to detect oncoming traffic.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:26 pm

If I am in the queue and have to stop because of a red light my side, provided I am the first in the queue, I usually flash my lights to tell the people opposite that it is clear to go. Bob
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

P&B

Postby P&B » Thu May 02, 2019 12:05 pm

I've been to Chania and back this morning. On the way at 9:15 the traffic wasn't bad in either direction however when returning at 11:30 the east bound traffic was backed up to the Souda turn off and the west bound traffic was considerably worse, backed up to about half way between Kalami and Kalyves. No police around at either time.

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Fri May 24, 2019 11:09 am

Much better arrangement this morning. The road work signs are displayed much further back than before and there are a lot more of them.The normal highway speed signs have been covered over. There are now three men with flags, ushering vehicles through. There are orange bollards fixed to road from the lights each side - hopefully this will deter the impatient drivers who rather than wait to be flagged though, were trying to overtake, as they saw a green light which was being overruled. One of the flag men sits a the bottom of the junction to go up the Aptera, so hopefully that will encourage drivers to leave a gap and he can usher them onto the highway. I still think that the lights, rather than going through their sequence, should be flashing amber the whole time, as long as the men are there. There was also more netting installed along the part of collapsed road.
Also there was a big skid mark from a lorry or large vehicle on the road. Perhaps this is why they have set the road work signs further back.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri May 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Whilst not always, the Police are still assisting with traffic flow.

For about a week now there have been several large trucks, filling up with soil, etc. from beneath the National Road, bay side, and taking it to offload it onto side of the Stylos Road, not far from Aptera/Megala Xorafia.
Someday is now : )

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun May 26, 2019 11:22 am

Kookla wrote:Much better arrangement this morning. The road work signs are displayed much further back than before and there are a lot more of them.The normal highway speed signs have been covered over. There are now three men with flags, ushering vehicles through. There are orange bollards fixed to road from the lights each side - hopefully this will deter the impatient drivers who rather than wait to be flagged though, were trying to overtake, as they saw a green light which was being overruled. One of the flag men sits a the bottom of the junction to go up the Aptera, so hopefully that will encourage drivers to leave a gap and he can usher them onto the highway. I still think that the lights, rather than going through their sequence, should be flashing amber the whole time, as long as the men are there. There was also more netting installed along the part of collapsed road.
Also there was a big skid mark from a lorry or large vehicle on the road. Perhaps this is why they have set the road work signs further back.

YEs the new signs and bollards are much better and they went up last week when the work started.

The professionals arrived from mainland? :)

Return to “General Discussion & News”