The Will of the (Greek) People

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Clio

The Will of the (Greek) People

Postby Clio » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:02 pm

..... doesn't get much of a look-in here these days, but I feel somebody should mention that we've just had a general election.

No surprises in the result which as expected gives us a new/old, or old/new government led by a man who exemplifies the dynastic aspect of Greek politics, while declaring himself an ardent opponent of nepotism in government.

One small fact, however, makes the result worth more than a cynical shrug. The electorate has rejected Golden Dawn and the party no longer has MPs in the Vouli legitimising its thuggery.

Tim

Re: The Will of the (Greek) People

Postby Tim » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:39 pm

You'd have to say that Tsipras, who seemingly is always described as a 'left wing firebrand', ultimately proved to be neither of those things. I'm not surprised the electorate has dumped him.

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:31 pm

Clio wrote:...One small fact, however, makes the result worth more than a cynical shrug. The electorate has rejected Golden Dawn and the party no longer has MPs in the Vouli legitimising its thuggery.

I couldn't agree more, Clio. They were only just under the 3 % threshold so it was a close thing. Sadly, I suspect that if they hadn't been fighting a court case for running a criminal gang they might have got over the threshold. I was just about to write a post on the Greek election but got distracted.

For anybody interested, New Democracy won an outright majority with a total of 158 seats. It is worth noting that Greece has a slightly distorted proportional representation system. Only 250 seats are contested and whichever party gets the biggest share of the votes cast gets allocated the other 50 seats. It is an attempt to get the benefits of PR, i.e. small parties do get some seats, with the benefits of first past the post, i.e. you tend to get majority governments. This system is (was?) in the process of being abolished and replaced by a more pure PR system but that could not be got through in time for this election. That means on votes cast ND won 108 seats out of 250. With a majority of 16 and a mixture of parties with very differing views opposing them I would have thought they should be able to get through virtually whatever policy programme they want. I would guess that "It's our turn to receive the bribes again" will be top of the list. His other proposals are to boost investment and cut taxes, while, of course, abiding by all the constraints imposed by Greece's creditors. Good luck with that sunshine.

Syriza was still second with 86 seats so 22 behind ND; quite a resounding defeat but not unexpected. Syriza still hold Crete. In Heraklion Syriza won by 13 % and in Chania by just over 3 % but it was much closer in Rethymnon with 0.4 % and Lassithi with only 0.25 %.

KINAL, which is a centre left coalition but mainly the rump of what was PASOK, were in third place with 22 seats. KKE, the main communist party, were fourth with 15 seats and about their normal share of the vote. Elliniki Lisi, which is a relatively new right wing pro-church populist party that has more or less replaced LAOS, were fifth with 10 seats. Finally MeRA25 came sixth with 9 seats. It is a new left wing party founded by Varoufakis, who was the Syriza finance minister who tried to argue for a completely different deal with the EU and failed. I am told he has some serious non-politicians standing as candidates but I don't have any specifics. I can't see them having much influence with ND's majority.

It's worth having a look at the names of the minor communist parties. It is reminiscent of "The Life of Brian" and the People's Front of Judea.

Warwick

PS When I wrote the above post I must confess I didn't know anything about Elliniki Lisi. I have since found this article, which, although written before the election, gives a pretty good picture of what they are like. Looks like their leader used his own tele-marketing show to sell exclusive copies of Jesus' handwritten letters. I'm shocked. I thought I had the only copies of them? I'm now starting to worry about my authentic toe nail clippings. Could they be fakes? It looks like this might be where the Golden Dawn vote went to, Clio.

Maud

Postby Maud » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:31 pm

I made a reference to the Greek elections on ‘The Will of the People’ thread Clio. - Amazingly nobody followed up on it there!

More ‘pie in the sky’ promises I feel, but at least Golden Dawn no longer has any seats. We were in Rafina for the night some years back. The following morning, just after we had departed, Golden Dawn rampaged through the local Saturday market, causing fear and damage. A friend was still there and witnessed it. - She said it was scary. It was clear at the time what a load of thugs they were, yet people still voted for them. It never ceases to amaze me how people can choose to ignore evil when it suits them!

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:19 am

Reminds me of Hitler`s thugs at the time of his rise to power, I am glad they are condemned to the garbage bin.
Dave H

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:12 pm

Back to one of the governments that got us into this mess. Memories are so short.

Now we have new PM Mitsotakis' sister Dora Bakoyannis as ND MP for Chania (election campaign .. coming to save Chania ' give Chania a Voice ' Where was she until now? Mayor of Athens previously) and her son, new PM's nephew, is the newly elected Mayor of Athens.

Oh Greece, I despair ..

Clio

Postby Clio » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:24 pm

...and not forgetting their Papa. Or the Venizelos connection....

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:28 pm

Greek PM on lack of women in government. BBC HArdtalk (on tonight?) ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-euro ... government

Note the 40% women candidates, he mentions, is a law brought in by Syriza. Yet of the 51 new cabinet ministers only 5 are women.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:32 pm

Perhaps when Mitsotakis screws it up we could try George Papandreou's daughter, Margarita-Elena, as PM or better still his son by a previous marriage, Andreas. Andreas Papandreou as PM. Now that has a sort of resonance to it doesn't it? Perhaps one of Akis Tsochatzopoulos' three children could become defence minister?

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”