UK Food in Supermarkets

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
markatsos

UK Food in Supermarkets

Postby markatsos » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:36 pm

Hi
My wife and I are over for a Busman's holiday from the 13th - 19th.

At work we sell a wide range of UK Groceries, Confectionery , Biscuits , Cakes Soft Drinks etc in the UK and Worldwide.

we will be driving and canvassing the island ..if anyone can advise the better supermarkets for us to visit it would be appreciated

see you all soon

Mark & Cathy

Jeffstclair

Re: UK Food in Supermarkets

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:27 pm

I don't understand your post, Mark&Cathy ....

Jean

Postby Jean » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:11 pm

I don't understand what you are trying to do but to your question about "better supermarkets" I think that it's limited to AB, SYNKA, Halkiadakis (I guess they still exist) and Sklavenitis (which bought Marinopoulos). You can also add a growing number of Lidl supermarkets

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:23 pm

Seems like a funny time to try to sell Brit products in the EU, especially if it involves a fairly expensive trip to scout individual supermarkets.

markatsos

Postby markatsos » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:32 pm

Hi
we have a couple of customers already in Crete.

when we visited the other Greek islands where we have customers, as we embraced or understood each customers needs/ requirements business has grown.

On our travels I learnt that trade is so seasonal, i only have a few weeks to see what we can possibly develop on Crete , especially with Crete been the largest island.

..and at the same time visit some places I have not seen before

thanks for posting have a great night

Mark

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:17 am

There are one or two 'English' shops around the Chania area at least and quite a number of small businesses in areas with a large number of expats live also sell a variety of 'English' foods. Good hunting! Bob
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:47 am

Jean has listed the main supermarkets above but I would add some comments.

1 Lidl is a multi-national chain originating in Germany so I would be surprised if you could negotiate deals with individual managers in Crete.
    2 AB and Sklaventis are nationwide chains headquartered in Athens so again I would be surprised if you could do deals with local managers. It is possible that Sklaventis has a significant office in Kissamos so you could try there.
    3 Halkiadakis is a Crete wide chain owned by a Cretan family. It claims to be the biggest supermarket chain in Crete so that might be a possibility. I think they are headquartered in Heraklion.
    4 I think Synka operates like a franchise but I am not certain. Certainly INKA, which re-branded as Synka, certainly did. That could mean that individual store managers have some discretion concerning purchases.
    5 There is another quite large franchise type chain called Asteras so there might be opportunities there. Although the chain is widespread the supermarkets themselves tend to be smaller than the big chains although still bigger than mini-markets.

Overall Greeks are quite conservative. A good Greek boy would never eat anything unless it was something he had been fed by his mother when he was young. That attitude is changing slowly but at a glacial pace. If you are selling UK products you are most likely to do so in areas with a high density of UK ex-pats. The biggest concentration in Crete is on Apokoronas to the East of Chania so privately owned supermarkets there might be more inclined to stock your products because they know they have a UK customer base. Seasonally, independent supermarkets in tourist areas might also be a target.

Warwick

PS Don't be surprised if you are met by, "We don't want that because there is no demand for it." If you point out that they don't know if there is a demand for it if they don't stock it you are quite likely to get the previous response repeated.

markatsos

Postby markatsos » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:54 pm

Hi
Thanks for the comprehensive reply ... really looking forward to visiting the Island .. so lucky we can combine "work" with Greek travels , coffee, salad, amazing olive oil and so much more

Hopefully it will stack up for more travels !

thanks again
Mark & Cathy

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:38 pm

I was surprised at some of the products you can and cant get in my area of Apokoronas where there are a lot of expats. There is one English shop in Kalyves and most supermarkets now stock marmite and baked beans and things the brits miss , even pataks curry pastes ( i always miss indian food when i am out here!) Personally, being veggie, i would love to be able to get veg burgers and meat alternative products. Not that they are essential as cretan food caters well for us but it would be nice. Also, humous, why cant i find any humous anywhere??

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:59 pm

chrissyg wrote:... i always miss indian food when i am out here!...

Namaste on the Kissamos road into Chania isn't bad. At least you can choose how hot you want it: European 1 to 5, Indian 1 to 5. Indian 1 would be just above European 5. As you come into Chania from the Kissamos direction it is on the left hand side a bit before the traffic lights at the square with a statue of a woman and child where Marko Botsari branches off. I wouldn't rate it very high in the UK but it is better than any Indian restaurants that I've tried around Chania.
chrissyg wrote:... Also, humous, why cant i find any humous anywhere??

Try Turkey, Lebanon, Israel, virtually anywhere around the Levant. It isn't really a Greek dish.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:31 pm

Yeah, i know humous isnt greek but im saying its one of the products thats popular in uk supermarkets and i eat a lot of it! I have tried Namaste and i wasnt that impressed with the food or the decor or the location. I can make my own but i always like to use fresh coriander for authenticity but its one herb that is also impossible to find here. At least i admit the potatoes here taste lovely and i think greek chips are the best in the world!

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:40 pm

Heinz Salad Cream
Colman's Old English Mustard
Branston Pickle (original and small chunk)
Daddie's Brown Sauce

If you could arrange these to be sold in the Sitia area, markatsos, I'd be extremely grateful.

Also, toilet paper with decent sized squares of paper. Just sayin' .....

Tim

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:42 pm

markatsos wrote:Hi
we will be driving and canvassing the island ..if anyone can advise the better supermarkets for us to visit it would be appreciated

Mark & Cathy

If you are in the Rethymnon area, check out Pavlakis (probably their Platanias branch) - there seem to be loads of Brits in the area (tourists and residents) - generally they also have a good range of locally sourced organic veg. Seasonally they have brussels etc.

Have a good visit.

chrissyg:

A/B quite often have packets of fresh Coriander. Coriander is a cool weather herb and very easy to grow from seed (now is a good time and then (say) again in February. It has suuch a beautiful white flower.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:55 pm

Whats A/B and are there any in the Chania area, pref Vamos?

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:17 pm

Tim are you looking for something like this
https://images7.memedroid.com/images/UP ... 5059f.jpeg

Return to “General Discussion & News”