Mandatory use of masks from tomorrow, Saturday 18th July

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: Mandatory use of masks from tomorrow, Saturday 18th July

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:41 pm

I've done some more digging into the data and I suspect that Greece is no longer reporting recovered cases to sites like Worldometer. I think Worldometer takes the total number of cases being reported and subtracts the number of recovered cases and number of deaths reported to derive the number of still active cases. If Greece is only informing them of new cases and new deaths but not updating the number of recovered cases then the number of active cases just keeps increasing, which is what seems to be happening. I think the Greek government stopped reporting recovered cases in early May when it was 1,374. It has stayed at that number since 30 April. I think they only ever reported recovered cases intermittently and haven't updated it since the beginning of May. Very misleading.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:21 am

I have been looking for a link to how many deaths in Crete from CV-19 and all I seem to get are data about cases, recoveries etc, but not deaths. This last category only seems to be available for the whole of Greece. Any clues, anyone? Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:23 am

Belay that last message from me. Have just seen the correspondence further down about CV-19 links. Bob.

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:23 pm

I have been looking for a link to how many deaths in Crete from CV-19

As far as I know there was only one death in Crete. A visiting German university lecturer in Heraklion. See https://greekcitytimes.com/2020/03/27/i ... -of-crete/

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:10 pm

Yes Jean, that is the only one I know of. Just checking! Bob.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:13 pm

There are some interesting comments in an article on Cretalive News. Near the bottom of the article it states that:

However, as far as the cases that have been hospitalized in Chania are concerned, there are three in number, according to the data of the 7th Ministry of Health of Crete, with the last one being the 21-year-old from Sweden.

So it would appear that there have been no cases in the Chania area since the Swedish man who was working for a Telecomms company in Chania. But not so fast. The article goes on to say:

It is noted that the 7th Ministry of Health of Crete is informed only about the cases that need to be treated in the hospitals of the island.

For the rest, and specifically for the imported cases, the management is done by the General Secretariat of Civil Protection, which, however, has imposed an information embargo.

So people on Crete are not allowed to know how many cases are being brought onto the island?

Warwick

margarita

Postby margarita » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:07 pm

Kilkis wrote:
So people on Crete are not allowed to know how many cases are being brought onto the island?

Warwick

From yesterday's Haniotika Nea:

New incoming case in Chania: At the tourist quarantine hotel with coronavirus

The case was detected through a sampling test, at Chania Airport, is asymptomatic and has been isolated in the quarantine hotel in Chania, as defined by the protocol for protection against the coronavirus.

According to exclusive information of "X.N.", a foreign tourist who underwent a sampling test upon his arrival at Chania Airport was found positive for the coronavirus. The visitor was at his hotel in an area of ​​the Municipality of Apokoronas where he was advised to stay for two days, until the results were announced, as provided. When the positive result came out, yesterday afternoon, he was transferred to the quarantine hotel where he remains without any symptoms. Both the patient's monitoring and the tracking process at the hotel where he was staying have been undertaken entirely by the General Secretariat for Civil Protection.

Original Greek http://www.haniotika-nea.gr/neo-eiserch ... -koronoio/

shine on

Postby shine on » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:38 pm

At the Maximos Mansion in the capital Athens, Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said at a virtual meeting with scientific staff: "If you judge that you need to sound the alarm for some measures to be taken, do not hesitate to do this promptly."

Voni

Postby Voni » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:12 pm

According to the Greek government Covid statistics site

https://covid19.gov.gr/covid19-live-analytics/

since the 27th July Crete has been shown as having a total of 48 cases, the case of the Apokoronas based tourist was reported in the newspaper on 30th but the number on the website remains still at 48. This would appear support Warwick’s theory about under reporting made in his recent posting.

August is going to be a very interesting month; tourists arriving from areas where infection rates are higher seem to be viewing Crete as virtually Covid free (Which according to the statistics it may be) as a consequence I rarely see anyone taking any precautions.

Then announced today new measures a result of increased cases in Greece.

http://apokoronasourhome.com/AOH/Daily_Bulletin.html

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:39 pm

It doesn't really matter what the rules are if hardly anybody follows them.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:58 pm

Kilkis wrote:It doesn't really matter what the rules are if hardly anybody follows them.

Warwick

We were in what we call the Emporium today (opposite Lidl on the outskirts of Rethymno). It sells just about everything! Everyone, staff and customers alike wore a mask. Encouraging to see. Bob.

shine on

Postby shine on » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:43 pm

I think we’ll see drastic changes next week, 110 new cases today.

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:42 pm

The number of coronavirus cases in Crete has reached 58
https://www.cretalive.gr/kriti/eftasan- ... stin-kriti

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 pm

This is getting crazy. According to the data there are 10 more cases in Crete but when you look at the analysis there are no new cases in Crete. Which is it? Also if you look at all Greece across the whole period of the pandemic there were only 2 days when more than 110 new cases were reported in a single day. Then the country was in total lockdown while today it is wide open. I think the government has lost complete control.

Warwick

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:15 am

Koronovirus: 58 official cases in Crete - 20 "active"
Elderly couple at the Covid clinic of PAGNI
"Safari" tests in Crete for the coronavirus

14 hours ago
The official cases in Crete have reached 58, according to the official website of the government for coronavirus cases.

The previous update mentioned 48 cases and thus increased by 10.

According to secure information, the "active" cases on the island are currently 20 and are in quarantine.

At the same time, an elderly couple, a 70-year-old man and a 69-year-old woman, of Greek origin, are being treated at the Covid clinic of PAGNI, with mild symptoms.

For their relatives, the protocols have been observed in the context of tracking the two cases.
https://www.neakriti.gr/article/kriti/1 ... tin-kriti/

The one thing, I find odd, is that whenever it mentions new cases found at the country's entrance. or where imported cases have gone for voluntary testing, it doesn't tell you where! I suspect that a lot of Crete's new infections in July have come from these cases.

Return to “General Discussion & News”