Stranded parcels at Vamos

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
pauliebare

Stranded parcels at Vamos

Postby pauliebare » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:22 pm

Hi

Within 2 days of lockdown 3 parcels arrived for me at Nomad in Vamos. Normally we take a day trip out to collect them but I live 95 kms away in Kamilari Heraklion prefecture . I've just read that lockdown may continue for weeks, can anyone suggest how i can get these parcels before xmas with out incurring a 300 euro fine for travelling out of my prefecture.

I've already asked Nomad in Peterborough and they aren't doing deliveries, im at a lost as to what i can do.

colin

Yin&Yang

Re: Stranded parcels at Vamos

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:31 pm

I’ve heard of some people putting parcels on buses - would this work?
Someday is now : )

P&B

Postby P&B » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:47 pm

About 4 weeks ago we spent a night in Heraklion. On the way back to Chania we realised we'd left some belongings in the wardrobe in the hotel room. We telephoned the hotel and they kindly packaged up our belongings and put them on the bus to Chania later that same day. The hotel telephoned us to let us know and we picked them up from Chania bus station the following day.

Our Greek neighbours put half a lamb on the bus from Chania to Heraklion each Easter to send to the extended family so I would say that using the bus service is definitely an option. You'd just need to get someone to take the items from Nomad in Vamos to the Chania bus station and put them on a bus to Heraklion.

P&B

Postby P&B » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:46 pm

Another option you may wish to consider depending on factors such as the value of the goods, if the goods are fragile, and how quickly you want them would be to use a courier or taxi. On the first day of lockdown 2 my mother in-law took a taxi from Kalyves to Heraklion airport to catch a flight back to the UK. To give you an idea of cost, a local taxi driver charged EUR 135 for this journey. I am sure the same taxi driver would be prepared to transport your goods from Vamos for a rendezvous at Heraklion airport or might even come to your village. I have no idea about the cost of using a courier or whether couriers are permitted to move between prefectures.

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:48 pm

Telephone Acs Courrier. I'm sure they would pick up from Vamos and deliver to Heraklion . Courier services are working as normal .

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:58 pm

P&B wrote:
Our Greek neighbours put half a lamb on the bus from Chania to Heraklion each Easter to send to the extended family so I would say that using the bus service is definitely an option..

Brilliant stuff.

Clio

Postby Clio » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:13 am

Many years ago, not long after we had settled in Crete, my husband had kidney problems and underwent an exploratory operation at Rethymno hospital. The consultant told me that he had found nothing untoward, but to be on the safe side he had taken tissue for a biopsy.

Unbeknown to me the hospital had no lab for analysis, and the town in those days had no microbiology lab either. “What you must do is send it to Chania, to Dr X’s laboratory”. Me: "How do I do that?”

Doc (handing me a mercifully opaque plastic pot containing the relevant bit of my husband): Why, just pop it in an envelope addressed to Dr X, and hand it in to the bus station. She will collect it from there. You phone to tell her to expect it, and later phone to get the result”.

Somewhat to my surprise it all worked out fine (including the all-clear from the biopsy).And I went on over the years to send all sorts of items by bus. Cretans do it all the time without a second thought - as with the lamb.

If the people at Vamos will agree to take your parcels to Chania bus station, and you can sort our payment with them, you're in business. Probably about five euros apiece, or less if they're fastened together as one. Don't waste money on a taxi - use the nice old-fashioned but safe, efficient and very cheap service offered by KTEL.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:03 am

I was once refused boarding on a flight from Frankfurt to Manchester, because the flight was overbooked, and I had to fly to London instead. Unfortunately my case had already been checked through to Manchester. The next day a man arrived at my house in Sheffield by car wearing a uniform with enough gold braid that he must have at least been a vice admiral and handed me my case.

Several years ago my case went missing again, this time on a flight from London to Thessaloniki, when they accidentally left five roll on containers at Heathrow. No vice admiral this time. Just a phone call to tell me that the case had been put on the bus from Thessaloniki to Kilkis and I could collect it from the bus station there after 13:00.

For several years when my landlady's daughter was studying at Athens university, every Sunday she cooked Sunday lunch a bit early, parcelled some of it up and put it on the bus from Kilkis to Athens, around 500 km, for her to eat for her evening meal. In that case I think the parcel would need to be transferred to a different bus in Thessaloniki but it still worked

If there is a KTEL bus from Vamos into Chania bus station it is quite possible that they might be able to give the parcel to that driver and he will make sure it gets put on the bus to Heraklion. I'm not certain they will do that but it is worth asking. Also I'm not sure exactly which buses are running now.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:28 am

ACS run a good service .. I live in the far East and I bought a bike from someone in the far West of Crete a bit ago ...The seller took it to a local ACS office ...24 hours later I picked it up from my local ACS office ... I think it cost 10 or 13 Euros .. set against more than four hours drive each way and a tank full of gas I thought that was a bargain ....

Clio

Postby Clio » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:56 pm

If there is a KTEL bus from Vamos into Chania bus station it is quite possible that they might be able to give the parcel to that driver and he will make sure it gets put on the bus to Heraklion.

Yes I’d forgotten you can do that, and I’m sure a transfer to a second bus can indeed be accommodated. I used occasionally to take the afternoon bus from Agia Galini to Rethymno, and a couple of times we stopped at one of the communities between so that a villager could pay for an unaccompanied “parcel” to be delivered to Heraklion bus station – which would have meant a change of bus at Rethymno.

(I say “parcel” but it was actually a big drum of olive oil swathed in a bit of plastic and dumped in the boot to roll around for 100k or so. Not sure I’d fancy trying that on National Express..)

Return to “General Discussion & News”