Electric supply

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
moggieman

Electric supply

Postby moggieman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:58 am

I have today received the following from the owners association. (google translation)
TO ALL THE OWNERS OF APARTMENTS AND SMALL HOTEL UNITS

Gentlemen,
 I wish to inform you that now you can now change provider Electricity from PPC to PROTERGIA directly without many processes and making money from the difference in cost to your hotel. 
In a season that everybody is trying to lower operating costs in their businesses and in their own home, the solution is said PROTERGIA.

I was wondering if anyone has come across this company and is it worth while changing.?? I wasn't aware of a second electric supplier on Crete.

Kilkis

Re: Electric supply

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:15 am

http://www.protergia.gr/en

Warwick

PS After posting the link I did a comparison on the home tariffs including reduced night rate. As far as I could see everything in the Protergia Tariff is identical to the ΔΕΗ Tariff with the exception of the day time charge for consumed electricity per kWh. The Protergia rate for that is about 5 % less than the ΔΕΗ rate if you are below 2,000 kWh every 4 months and about 8 % less if you are above 2,000 kWh every 4 months. They seem to be offering a 5 % discount on the electricity charge for people who pay on time while ΔΕΗ seem to be offering 15 %. That would make Protergia between 3 % and 5 % more expensive than ΔΕΗ.

There is one statement on the Protergia Tariff that says, "Without Power Charge for 1 Year." If that really means they are going to give you electricity free for a year then it would be a good deal but I suspect it doesn't mean that.

Warwick

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:03 am

Thanks Warwick.

"Without Power Charge for 1 Year." in the U.K when i used to use a lot of electric we had a KVA charge on top of the bills , could this be what they mean. ?/ Usually applies to three phase electric.

Cant see why the hoteliers association should marketing this if its more expensive. ????

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:15 pm

You could be right, Moggieman, although these charges apply to all systems here whether single or three phase. There are two Power Charges under Regulated charges, one related to the Transmission System and one related to the Distribution Network and they are based on the kVA rating of your supply. Since these are regulated charges I am not sure how they can discount them unless they are absorbing the cost themselves. I can't make any sense of the Calcualtion Method when comparing it with my bill. Typically for a 4 month period the total transmission system charge is a little over €6 and the total distribution network charge is around €25. Since these include a power charge, based on the rating of your supply, and a per unit charge I have no idea by how much I would get the bill reduced.

Interestingly if you go to the Greek version of the Protergia Tariff the offer is completely different. There is seems to be offering the night rate all day for 6 months and then after the 6 months a discount of 15 %. Given that the latter is the same discount as ΔΕΗ, you should probably investigate further Moggieman. There might be a bob or two in it for you. I didn't look at the business version.

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:09 pm

Kilkis wrote:
Interestingly if you go to the Greek version of the Protergia Tariff the offer is completely different. There is seems to be offering the night rate all day for 6 months and then after the 6 months a discount of 15 %.

Warwick

? It says the same on the English version http://www.protergia.gr/en/content/protergia-home (in the blue boxes)

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:11 pm

moggieman wrote: 
 I was wondering if anyone has come across this company and is it worth while changing.?? I wasn't aware of a second electric supplier on Crete.

They have just started up, and are the reason for DEH offering the new discount for those who pay on time.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:47 pm

Carolina wrote:...? It says the same on the English version http://www.protergia.gr/en/content/protergia-home (in the blue boxes)

I have investigated why I got different offers when I looked previously. It isn't a difference between the English and Greek version. It looks like the offers for the Home Tariff and for the Home N Tariff are different. I had looked at the Home N Tariff on the English version, because I have the Γ1N Tariff with ΔΕΗ, and then I accidentally looked at the Home Tariff on the Greek version.

Warwick

grannyM

Postby grannyM » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:09 pm

This is not really a reply, but the topic is the same!
Have been contacted by an Athen's based company called Heron, who are offering 2 months free supply and a 17% discount on kwh over 24 months. Other demos charges collected as by DEH.
I thought members analysis might be welcome or comments from anyone who has swapped supplier. As we'll be away for a couple of months I'd have to defer anyway if I decided it was worth while changing.
granny M

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:20 pm

Kilkis wrote:......... They seem to be offering a 5 % discount on the electricity charge for people who pay on time while ΔΕΗ seem to be offering 15 %. That would make Protergia between 3 % and 5 % more expensive than ΔΕΗ............

One thing we seem to be ignoring is that Protergia are offering a much better deal if you are a Cosmote customer. Since Cosmote also owns OTE, their customer base includes anyone with a landline from OTE. A quite high percentage of forum members?

For Cosmote customers, there is a 20% discount for prompt payment, and all prices are fixed for 2 years. So, for those people, Protergia is cheaper than DEH. This is especially so if you are a heavy consumer. I thought it was attractive enough to switch.

I think maybe the "power charge" is the standing charge? Which Protergia also drops for Cosmote customers.

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:53 pm

You may be right, Andrew. I am waiting for my next assessed bill before evaluating again. It is a bit more complicated than it first appears.

On my last assessed bill I got a refund of double the standing charge. On the following intermediate bill I got 15 % discount off the electricity charge with that double standing charge discount added back on, i.e. effectively I was given a 15 % discount on a refund. I am not sure if that was an anomaly or if the same thing will happen next time. If it does continue in this way then it is not clear if "no standing charge and 20 % off the electricity consumed", i.e. Protergia's offer, is better than "15 % off the sum of the electricity consumed and the standing charge plus a double standing charge discount". For me I suspect it will be less with DEI. For high energy consumers it will be less with Protergia.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:42 am

Yes, Warwick, by no means crystal clear. It seems the Greek utility companies are learning quickly from those in the UK......

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:39 am

Kilkis wrote:...On my last assessed bill I got a refund of double the standing charge. On the following intermediate bill I got 15 % discount off the electricity charge with that double standing charge discount added back on, i.e. effectively I was given a 15 % discount on a refund. I am not sure if that was an anomaly or if the same thing will happen next time...

I've just received my most recent assessed bill. The double refund of the standing charge is no longer on it. Obviously my previous bill was an anomaly in the changeover period from one type of discount to another. With ΔΕΗ I now pay the standing charge as normal and get 15 % off the total electricity charge but not the regulated charges.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:56 am

Which makes Protergia look even better. No standing charge and 20% reduction for prompt payment. Not meaning to labour the point. Just summarising.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:38 am

Correct BUT only for the Protergia Xtra contract where you have a Cosmote fixed line/TV contract. The other Protergia contracts still include the standing charge and the discount reverts to 15 % after 6 months. I don't say this to contradict you, Andrew, simply to point out that people need to make sure they get the correct deal if they change.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:33 am

Quite right. I was forgetting that not everyone has a Cosmote landline.

Andrew

Return to “General Discussion & News”