Electric supply

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Mackie

Re: Electric supply

Postby Mackie » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:36 am

I am a bit confused with all the info above. Can someone please clarify a few issues
Do you actually have a choice of provider in all areas of Crete?
Can you still get a discount if you choose a combined package and pay by DD or similar?
Cheers
Mackie

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:39 pm

As far as I am aware you can choose the alternative providers anywhere in Greece. In the same way as you change provider in the UK, nothing actually happens to the physical supply. The different providers simply take over the billing. They buy power wholesale from the generator and then bill you for what you consume. Basically the new entrants are offering a discount to get market share and ΔΕΗ, the incumbent, is also offering a discount to protect its market dominance.

ΔΕΗ are offering 15 % discount provided you pay your bills on time. Greeks are notorious for paying late. Greece is the land of the post-dated cheque. Giving a 15 % discount puts them closer to the new entrants and tying it to paying on time encourages customers to behave better thus helping cash flow.

Protergia have the best deal, called Protergia Xtra, PROVIDED you have a landline/TV service through Cosmote. In that case they drop the standing charge and give 20 % off the cost of the consumed electricity, again dependent on paying on time. It is worth noting that the standing charge is not huge. I have a 3 phase supply and night-time cut price energy so mine is about as big as it gets at €20.40 per year. Most people will pay less than that. Also the deal is only guaranteed for 2 years so after that it may get closer to ΔΕΗ. The other Protergia deals keep the standing charge, apply the night-time saver rate to all electricity consumed for 6 months and then revert to 15 % discount. Thus it is only better than ΔΕΗ for 6 months.

ΗΡΩΝ have a couple of different deals. One offers a 10 % discount on the consumed electricity and keeps the standing charge but it also gives you two months electricity free when you sign up to them for 24 months. The other also gives you 10 % discount on the consumed electricity and drops the standing charge. Unless you are a very low consumer I would say these are not as good as the ΔΕΗ deal.

It is worth noting that these discounts only apply to the costs of electricity consumed. There are also charges on your bill to support the network grid, to pay for distribution and green charges that also depend on the amount of electricity consumed. These are mandatory and are the same for all suppliers.

Finally your council tax and the equivalent of the TV licence are also collected through your electricity bill.

It doesn't matter how you pay as long as you pay on time. You can pay in cash in a banks, post offices and some other outlets. You can set up a Direct Debit mandate or you can pay through internet banking. In the latter case it is worth paying it the day before it is due since the payment goes out overnight so, if you pay on the day, they might count it as received the next day, which would be late. There is a €0.30 charge for paying through Internet banking. I'm guessing it will be similar for a Direct Debit or for paying in cash.

Warwick

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:23 pm

Thank you for a great and comprehensive response as usual, what a super star.

On average, how much do you spend yearly on energy?
We are hoping to get the keys officially on Thursday. Where do I go to get the Protergia deal? I am assuming they will have an office in Heraklion and I would have to get the landline deal in place beforehand! I think I know where the Cosmote fife is in Heraklion (main freedom square). But have no clue about Protergia. ...... just found their website. http://www.protergia.gr/en/content/faqs

Cheers

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:17 pm

Mackie wrote:... Where do I go to get the Protergia deal?...

You could try http://www.protergia.gr/en/content/become-customer-0 or http://www.protergia.gr/en/epikoinwnia

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:57 pm

Kilkis wrote:
Mackie wrote:... Where do I go to get the Protergia deal?...

You could try http://www.protergia.gr/en/content/become-customer-0 or http://www.protergia.gr/en/epikoinwnia

Warwick

Or go to any branch of Germanos.

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:52 pm

YoMo2 wrote:

Andrew

Cheers.
Just been told the same by a local Greek who runs the local phone / computer repair shop and pointed me to the one in Hersonissos which we pass at least twice a day and never really thought about it!!

He has however told us to be carful as the Internet speed is very bad in some areas round here. Will have to ask around as the Internet connection is the most important for me in the near to medium future!!

Thanks
Mackie

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:13 pm

Mackie, you can get the landline/TV and the electricity supply both set up at Germanos. Obviously do the landline/TV first so you get the benefit on the electric supply. I think Germanos are now owned by Cosmote, (who also now own OTE). Protergia don't have many, (if any), offices on Crete, which is why the electricity sign up has been subbed out to Germanos, who have a wide network.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Mackie wrote:...He has however told us to be carful as the Internet speed is very bad in some areas round here. Will have to ask around as the Internet connection is the most important for me in the near to medium future!!

Thanks
Mackie

I am not sure what there is to ask around about? OTE, now branded as Cosmote, own all the landlines rather like BT in the UK. Other companies selling landline based broadband are still supplying it through OTE lines. Since you have already bought a house, the landline to that house will be whatever it is. I live near the exchange and get good speed, i.e. around 12 Mbps. Friends in a village about 3 km away cannot get landline based broadband at all because the lines to their house are so bad. If good broadband is critical you should really have looked into this before you bought. Sorry to cast gloom.

Warwick

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:56 pm

Sorry, let me clarify this.
He is the dealer / agent for Cyta(and many other things), a very nice guy and always happy to help. He told us to go directly to OTE to get better speed / package. As I am not yet familiar with who owns what or what's on offer, I had to check. There are a couple of hotels next door to the house and also a couple of local restaurants that have very fast broadband so will have whatever they are on if I can :wink:
Everyone seems to be of the openion that the guys at our local Germanos will sort it out for us. Will go and see them over the next couple of days.
Cheers

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:04 am

Mackie wrote:..........He is the dealer / agent for Cyta(and many other things), a very nice guy and always happy to help. He told us to go directly to OTE to get better speed / package........

That's interesting. Over the years there have been many stories that if you subscribe to Cyta or similar alternatives to OTE, you get worse performance because OTE put you on old equipment at the exchange etc etc. Also that they give low priority to faults reported by non OTE customers. All of which I would guess is true. Interesting to hear it from a Cyta dealer.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:08 am

Mackie wrote:...There are a couple of hotels next door to the house and also a couple of local restaurants that have very fast broadband so will have whatever they are on if I can :wink: ...

That tends to suggest that the lines in your area are capable of supporting a decent broadband speed. Now all you need to do is pray that there is a line available. Personally I have always used OTE for the landline and OTENET as ISP and never had a problem. When I worked, a lot of my time was spent designing and implementing automated/semi-automated instrumentation systems. When the system doesn't work, it's very easy to find yourself playing "piggy in the middle" with the instrument manufacturer blaming the computer manufacturer for the problem and vice-versa. I learned a lot from that.

The situation in Greece is similar to that in the UK. OTE, Cosmote and OTENET are all essentially the same company and they own at least all the lines and the exchanges and most of the equipment, like BT. Alternative companies like Vodafone, Wind and Cyta buy time wholesale on the OTE physical system and simply act as an ISP like most alternative providers in the UK. It is easy to become "piggy in the middle" again. To be fair, I understand that Cyta set up originally to supply a fibre optic alternative network but I think they have only done that in major urban areas like Athens and Thessaloniki. Everywhere else they use OTE infrastructure. I could be wrong on that.

Warwick

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:41 pm

Why not ask the hotel if you can piggy back into their system ????

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:28 pm

moggieman wrote:Why not ask the hotel if you can piggy back into their system ????

I have been using their wifi with their very secured 12345678 password which seems to be the same for every wifi round here (and for those who have some additional security, their phone number usually works). I am sure it will get slower when they get busy and ethically, I can't really use theirs long term.
Cheers

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:34 pm

YoMo2 wrote:

Andrew

And what a great idea that was. My new mate Manos had the answer to all of what I was looking for. After leaving me to muddle through all the questions in broken Greek. He answered all in a wide Yorkshire accent. On top of what you already discussed and mentioned on this thread, they also offered free installation.

Lines are available so no issue there also.

Cheers
Mackie

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:22 pm

Certainly most use their telephone number but there are a few who add a bit of variety. For example the café in the park in Chania puts the password on the till receipt. I've no idea how often they change it. I walked up Sfakion in Chania one day with the WiFi screen of my phone open and I found 5 routers with no password at all. Absolutely no need to use the rather slow municipal ones.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”