Ryanair to scale back UK flights

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Blighty

Ryanair to scale back UK flights

Postby Blighty » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:43 am

Overall, Ryanair have provided an affordable, frequent schedule of flights from the UK to Chania. It will be disappointing if this service diminishes.Also, It seems that direct winter flights are increasingly unlikely.

http://dailym.ai/2a5eh9E

filippos

Re: Ryanair to scale back UK flights

Postby filippos » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:29 pm

To be fair, direct winter flights have always been unlikely.

Also, I won't be entirely surprised if some flights to Crete are cut back if my observations in the Apokoronas area are reflected elsewhere. For a number of summers, in Kalyves, there's been a gradual decline in the number of British voices heard around the village, in tavernas and on beaches. That trend in the village and its tavernas also seems to be affecting winter. I have no statistics but I'm aware that quite a few full time Crete residents have returned to the UK for various reasons.

There are now many more tourists (and new residents) from Russia, other eastern European countries and, particularly, Scandinavia. There are other pointers, too: most tavernas and cafés in the last two to three years have increased the numbers and sizes of menu boards in Russian and Scandinavian languages and recently English seems to be relegated to third place: ditto with menus.

I appreciate that Kalyves is a relatively small area, but popular, and if the trend here is reflected in other parts of the island inevitably there will be a decline in flights to match the number of visitors from the UK.

That having been said, there's no detail of what the various airlines are considering. They're in business to make profits and if particular destinations or routes are sufficiently profitable they're unlikely to be cut. Of course, a major influence will be which destinations the big tour operators decide to promote.

Blighty

Postby Blighty » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:07 pm

From my experience of flying with Ryanair to Chania, the flights are usually about 95℅ full, and in peak season all seats are occupied.

The point I'm trying to highlight is the risk of scaled back flights from the UK because of the wider 'BREXIT' implications and associated profits to airlines.

Currently, Ryanair fly from 6 UK airports to Chania, so a couple of UK destinations may possibly be withdrawn next year - we will have to wait until the 2017 flights are released circa September/October.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:37 pm

I think it might be stretching a point to speculate that Brexit has anything to do with this, Blighty. Fillipos is correct about the gradual decline of British voices everywhere and the emergence of Russian and other European languages in the place of English. It's been happening for several years and is probably due to a number of factors, not least the number of Brits 'going home.' As for your six UK airport flights to Xania, we in the arid east can only look at you with envy, as our brand new airport in Sitia languishes with a few 'island hopper' flights a day and no big jets as was promised years ago. We had hoped that easyJet might come in here after Stelios Haji-ioannou bought a huge tract of land in these parts, but it was not to be.

Blighty

Postby Blighty » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:10 pm

I'm not speculating that BREXIT could be a consequence - Ryanair are - see their quote from the article I attached.....

"Ryanair is to scale back investment and axe flights in the UK due to the uncertainty surrounding Brexit."

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:11 pm

Fair enough, point taken, but by scaling back flights "due to uncertainty" are not Ryanair actually helping to CREATE the "uncertainty?" (And I speak as a Remainer!)

Danny

Postby Danny » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:04 pm

If a route is profitable why would a company scale back ? Ryanair closed their Bournemouth - Chania link because it wasn't profitable but opened up new routes which have been successful ie Manchester - Chania. I think there's a lot of bluffing going on in many businesses with veiled threats on what they going to do in the event of the Brexit, time will tell but Ryanair are ruthless at chasing margins and as for scaling back operations in the UK I think that would only come if their current routes weren't profitable.

George

Postby George » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:19 pm

A big debate on radio 4 today concerning travel and the recent switches with Portugal and Spain gaining 20 and 30% more British holiday makers as opposed to the last few years. The top reason is the rapid decline of destinations such as Turkey, Egypt and Tunisia. Although Cyprus is trouble free, it too has taken a big hit as the Eastern med falls out of favour. Stay at home holidays are also on the increase. Safety is given as the paramount reason for people staying closer to home. Paris, for instance, fell out of the top 10 cities for a valentine visit for the first time in God knows how long. These are troubled times for countries dependent on tourism, but citing brexit as a primary excuse just doesn't hold water. How do this years numbers to Greece compare to when the pound euro was practically at one for one? I'll still be in Crete for the second time this year in October and it'll take a lot more than some political point scoring to change my mind. In the meantime, perhaps brush up on your Russian as Turkey defiled their own nest in spectacular fashion when they shot down the Russian jets. When one door closes.......

Cruc

Postby Cruc » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:29 am

So Ryanair have announced that they will be flying from Birmingham to Chania in 2017. Great news.
Regards
Cruc

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:52 am

And this is a scale back ?????

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:41 pm

I think they only said they'd be assessing the unfolding situation regarding leaving the EU. If the Government can reach a decent agreement re. air travel between UK and EU there probably won't be any need to "scale back". In any case nothing will happen until the starting gun is fired.

Return to “General Discussion & News”