Cost of prescription medicines

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
kastri1961

Cost of prescription medicines

Postby kastri1961 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:02 am

Hi All
I take 6 prescription tablets per day and in the UK I am able to purchase a pre-pay card which costs £10.00 per month for my medicines.
Is there a similar scheme in Crete or would I have to pay for all 6 medicines individually and if so what is the cost?
Any feedback appreciated.
Richard

alansmithnl

Re: Cost of prescription medicines

Postby alansmithnl » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:19 am

Richard, I don't know if you have an EHIC card - whether the cost is covered by the NHS using this card, maybe it's one avenue you can explore.
Do you have one?
Alan

Forsto

Postby Forsto » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:22 am

Rather think each would be priced individually and you would need to check with the chemist here as to both the cost and the availability of each drug in the dosage you need. Only good thing is that you can purchase a great many drugs over the counter in Greece for which you would need a prescription in England. I don't think that the EHIC card can be used for repeat prescriptions but just as cover for emergency treatment.

kastri1961

Postby kastri1961 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:31 am

Thank you .
Yes I do have a EHIC card so will contact my GP here to see what advice they give.

Forsto

Postby Forsto » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:36 am

Are you moving to Greece on a permanent basis or just for a few months? If just for a short time, you could ask your GP for a three month prescription which I believe is the maximum allowed.

kastri1961

Postby kastri1961 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:42 am

We are planning to rent for the first 6 to 12 months before buying a property.
Just made a telephone appointment with my GP to enquire about a 3 month supply.

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:28 pm

EHIC is intended to provide emergency treatment for medical problems arising while visiting scheme member countries. It does not cover regular prescription medication.

If you qualify for IKA treatment as a resident in Greece you pay a proportion of the cost of prescription items - 25% I think.

peebee

Postby peebee » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:21 pm

filippos wrote:EHIC is intended to provide emergency treatment for medical problems arising while visiting scheme member countries. It does not cover regular prescription medication.

I saw a tourist enquire in the pharmacy, as to whether or not he got a discount on his purchase. She took his EHIC card and scanned it then gave him the price. Don't know what if any discount he got, but if it is not applicable why did the pharmacist take it from him ?

Istronian

Postby Istronian » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:37 pm

filippos wrote: If you qualify for IKA treatment as a resident in Greece you pay a proportion of the cost of prescription items - 25% I think.

Although most pay 25% of the cost there are actually three rates:

25% for most "one off" prescriptions.
10% if you have an ongoing incurable condition
0% if you are a little old lady with no money (This is at the doctors discretion)

You may be pleasantly surprised how cheap many prescription drugs are, particularly the generic ones and the saving by having a prescription is often not worth the hassle of seeing a doctor first.

Ian

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:43 pm

If, when you move to Crete, you qualify for a UK State Pension then you can ask DWP Overseas Healthcare Team for an S1 Form. You take that to IKA in Greece and get an IKA Health Book. With that book you can go to a Greek GP who can issue an IKA prescription for whatever drugs you need, assuming they are available in Greece. Taking that to a pharmacy means that you typically pay 25 % of the total cost of the drug. Some things, such as expensive cancer treatments, are free and for some things I think you pay more than 25 %.

If you don't qualify for an S1 Form then you can usually buy the drugs you need, assuming they are available in Greece, from any pharmacy without a prescription but you pay the full price. There are some restrictions. Some anti-biotics can only be bought with a special prescription and all opiates need a prescription.

If you PM me a list of the drugs you need, preferably also specifying what the active ingredients are and their strength, then I will take that to my friendly local pharmacy and find out if they are available and what the cost would be without an IKA prescription.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:48 pm

peebee wrote:She took his EHIC card and scanned it then gave him the price. Don't know what if any discount he got, but if it is not applicable why did the pharmacist take it from him ?
Who knows? I don't. Perhaps the medication was prescribed or recommended for some minor medical emergency that had arisen while visiting Crete: an infected insect bite or a migraine, say, rather than regular prescription medication. I haven't managed to find anything on the NHS/EHIC pages to indicate you might get free or discounted medicines on production of an EHIC. As the rules vary from country to country maybe in some states discounted medicines might be available using an EHIC.

It's a long time ago now but on our first holiday here I picked up an ear infection, went to the old Xania hospital and after an examination was given a prescription for antibiotics. I don't remember what I had to pay, if anything but I don't think I showed my EHIC to anyone.

There's some useful information here and here and a few other pages, too.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:22 pm

I think one of the reasons it is difficult to reach an accurate conclusion on what is and isn't covered is contained in the following statement in one of Filippos' links:

"Treatment should be provided on the same basis as it would to a resident of that country, either at a reduced cost or, in many cases, for free."

Contained in that statement is a hidden assumption that there is a "uniform basis" for providing treatment that is applicable to all residents as there is in the UK. In Greece there isn't. What you are entitled to in Greece depends on whether you contribute to an insurance scheme and which insurance scheme you contribute to. Because, when it comes to reciprocal arrangements, the UK tends to pair up with IKA it is presumed that a UK citizen with an EHIC will be entitled to whatever an IKA contributor would be entitled to. I don't know if this presumption is valid or not?

Warwick

kastri1961

Postby kastri1961 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:09 pm

Thank you.
Organising a 3 month supply and will resolve once in situ !

peebee

Postby peebee » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:13 pm

If someone actually has a valid EHIC card, it would be useful if they tried to use it, or just ask, to see if they do actually get a discount. Would make things a lot clearer on the matter.

Forsto

Postby Forsto » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:24 pm

I do and I didn't.

Return to “General Discussion & News”