A website listing British expat property and used cars for sale?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
kastri1961

A website listing British expat property and used cars for sale?

Postby kastri1961 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:46 pm

After contacting Carolina to get permission to post it would be great to get some feedback from fellow members on the following idea.

My wife and I are relocating to Crete early 2017 so we have obviously trawled the internet re properties. There’s lots of information and estate agents on the web and we have actually arranged a meeting with Maria at Minoan Properties who seem to have a good selection of rentals.

However, as my own work background is marketing, website development and social media, I wanted to ask you a question.

What would have been great when searching properties was a website that listed properties for rent and sale by British expats. We will also need to buy a car so a website listing used cars being sold by British expats would have been very useful too. Ultimately it means British couples speaking to British couples which would automatically instil a sense of comfort and trust whilst benefiting the expat community as a whole.

I cannot find anything similar on the internet so wanted to explore the concept and possibly develop a test website in the near future.
The first stage is getting some feedback!

The website would be marketed to an audience of UK based prospective buyers who are looking for short and long terms rentals or wanting to view properties for sale in Crete as a second home or to relocate. The website would also include a listing of expat vehicles for sale.

Based on our own recent searches a website listing expat properties and cars would have been perfect. So is it a good idea?

I really would appreciate some feedback.
If you have any thoughts about the concept and if such a website could be of value please post your comments here.

Thank you.
Richard

Kookla

Re: A website listing British expat property and used cars for sale?

Postby Kookla » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:31 pm

Hello Richard,
My feedback would be what an excellent idea! And any help I can give you I would. My husband and I are desperately trying to sell our beautiful house on Crete. We had to relocate back to UK. I have tried while here to further 'hits' on our house via numerous websites, some of which are good and some just 'hard sell' money making type outfits.

Please feel free to pm me if I can help in any way. In the first instance I would rather share my thoughts in private. All the very best.

Istronian

Postby Istronian » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:40 pm

kastri1961 wrote: Ultimately it means British couples speaking to British couples which would automatically instill a sense of comfort and trust whilst benefiting the expat community as a whole.[/color] Richard

In my 11 years in Crete I have only been "screwed" twice to my knowledge. On both occasions it was by ex-pats! One went AWOL owing me 1,000 Euros and the other was for a repair to my roof when I paid for all the materials I was told were needed to later find out that only one of the things I paid for was used on my roof. The rest was used on another persons roof who, of course, was charged for all the materials used!

Trust an ex-pat? No way! The first question to ask, if they are not retired, is why are they here, what are they running away from?

Ian

kastri1961

Postby kastri1961 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:53 pm

Hi Kookla - yes I will respond privately. Thank you.
Hi Istronian - sorry to hear about that.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:06 pm

kastri1961 wrote:...Ultimately it means British couples speaking to British couples which would automatically instil a sense of comfort and trust ...

Would you buy a used car from the sort of people who post on this forum? I've met some of them.

I don't know if it would work for property rental but when it comes to used cars I suspect that at any instant in time all the ex-pats on Crete wishing to sell a used car would probably fit in an old red telephone box. This forum has almost 3,000 members, obviously not all living in Crete, and the last time anyone advertised a car for sale was almost one year ago. I did a quick check on another forum with a for sale section and the last advert for a car on there was around two years ago.

Even in the case of property rental, anybody intending to rent would be severely restricting their choice if they only considered ex-pat lets. Simply due to the relative population sizes there are likely to be orders of magnitude more Greek people letting properties than there are ex-pats and hence orders of magnitude more choice.

While my view would not be as extreme as Ian's, because I have not had the same experience as him, I also can see no obvious reason why I should trust an ex-pat more than a Greek.

Warwick

kastri1961

Postby kastri1961 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:23 pm

Thank you Warwick.
To focus on the property aspect, the website would act as an additional platform to create more exposure for vendors and purchasers alike.
So the website would be used in addition to an appointed estate agent's activity.
However, and this is the huge difference, it would be marketed daily online to a UK audience of prospective buyers so in that sense would be pro-active rather than re-active.
I will keep everyone posted as more comments come in.
Thank you.
Richard

kastri1961

Postby kastri1961 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:50 pm

I just want to stress that this idea has NOTHING to do with trusting one nationality more or less than another nationality.
The idea was born simply out of the number of hours my wife and I have spent on the internet searching properties for sale and rent.
Because Crete has such a large British expat community the whole concept is built around that fact and nothing else.
Thank you.

scooby

Postby scooby » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:12 pm

Good Idea.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Maud

Postby Maud » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:29 pm

I understand your thinking Richard, but I question the need for such a site.
1. Crete does not have a big British ex-pat community.
2. It is a big island, so expats are scattered far and wide. I am not sure if a car for sale by an expat in Sitea would interest someone in Hania etc.
3. The same goes for villas to rent or for sale. We all have our favourite places and someone looking for a villa in the East would probably not be interested in the West......regardless of how nice a property was.
4. Quite a few of the expats are well integrated within the Greek community. They would just as happily buy a car from a Greek as they would an expat. As for buying/renting a house, I think it is a similar situation. - A good Greek agent will have local knowledge as well as know the market.
Your idea is based on the 'comfort zone' of people dealing with others of the same nationality. Like Warwick, my views are not as extreme as Ian's, but I think they both have some good points. I can see the benefit of such a website for some people, but I am not sure there would be a big enough market for it on Crete. Good luck with it anyway if you decide to go ahead with it.
Last edited by Maud on Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Istronian

Postby Istronian » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:48 pm

Kilkis wrote: While my view would not be as extreme as Ian's, because I have not had the same experience as him, I also can see no obvious reason why I should trust an ex-pat more than a Greek.Warwick

I am now of the Jeremy Clarkson school of thought which says that only friendless failures emigrate.

*“In the whole of human history, nobody has ever woken up and thought, “I know. I have a wonderful family, lots of money, a great job and an active social life. I shall therefore move to Australia”

Ian

*The World according to Clarkson. Vol 3, The hell of being a British ex-pat

Whilst typing this I have eaten a lemon cream biscuit. According to the packet it contained “lemon flavouring” yet my washing up liquid proudly states “Contains real lemon juice”. Strange world we live in.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:24 pm

Istronian wrote:...I am now of the Jeremy Clarkson school of thought which says that only friendless failures emigrate...

I am afraid that you have lost me with that comment, Ian. I simply commented that I had not been ripped off by any ex-pats therefore I would not go as far as your comment, "Trust an ex-pat? No way!". Equally I can see no reason to trust an ex-pat more than a Greek, which seems to be the thinking behind the original post.

Warwick

Hector

Postby Hector » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:28 pm

Hello Richard,

We have considered selling our house and one of the main issues we face is the lack of Estate Agents we can trust in our area. Wouldn't put our house for sale with any of them. We would be very interested in your idea of a website advertising properties for sale but not only to the UK Market. Lots of Northern Europeans buy in the Apokoronas region. Could you include these countries as well?

What would the costs be to sell through your website?

What you will find when you come to Crete is that while you have money in your pocket everyone will 'help' you with attaining your 'dream' in reality they will line their own pockets and screw you over. Their nationality has nothing to do with it. That said Crete is a wonderful place to live. Just come with your eyes wide open....

Look forward to hearing more about your project.

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:48 am

Think it would work . You only have to look at the for sale or wanted pages for areas of Crete on Facebook to see how successful buying and selling cars , property , anything even .. I've bought and sold loads of stuff. It's been a long time since buying and selling on this site and the other similar one was any good . I think the first port of call for many expats to buy or sell things in Crete now is Facebook ...

Maud

Postby Maud » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:21 am

You could be correct Bigbluecheese. I do not belong to Facebook, so had no idea there was such a 'market' on it. I think that any such website as Richard's might need to have more than houses and cars on it though..... as you seem to suggest. Surely the limited number of British expats on the island do not sell houses and cars enough to warrant a website? I guess it could be extended to include all other sorts of items?

I am not a 'good example' of one of Richard's prospective typical viewers as we don't live full time on Crete. I still think that unless the website is going to have a big enough 'base' there are two major problems. - One being the logistics of such a large island, and the other being the number of people using it.

Maybe most expats feel happier dealing with other expats? Our instincts are usually to buy with advice from our friends on Crete.....who are Greek......rather than from people whom we don't know. (Expats or Greek). - The point being that we would buy with advice from friends, before buying from strangers, regardless of nationality. The website could work for people who have a different 'comfort zone' though.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:28 am

We have a house to sell and frankly I wouldn't turn down any avenue to sell it. But it's not 'going for a song!' Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Return to “General Discussion & News”