electricity without building permit

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Jacq

electricity without building permit

Postby Jacq » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:33 pm

Is it possible to get electricity on farm land without a building permit? Anyone?
Jacq

Dinksy

Re: electricity without building permit

Postby Dinksy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:25 am

Our neighbours had a barn and put pigs in the barn for a few months and then got electric installed. A few weeks later the pigs went and slowly the barn changed into a house and hey presto! they have an illegal with electric supply fitted.

Who said they were Greek, you are right.
Never mind the quality, feel the width.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:49 pm

As above - it IS possible - but when DEH find out, they will send you an ultimatum. I know someone who received such an ultimatum. So far it hasn't been acted upon and the building is still not legal. However, one day the electricity could be switched off.

The alternative is to install a system using photovoltaic panels and a wind powered generator to charge batteries to drive an inverter.
I know someone who did this about 8 years ago and it cost €17,000. I'm sure that the cost will be lower, now, because the price of panels has plummeted (and their efficiency is increasing, year by year).

Of course another alternative is to use a diesel-powered generator. A bit noisy, requires periodic maintenance, and not cheap to run.

Jacq

Postby Jacq » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:02 pm

Haha, love the pig story.

But I meant legally, what if I just go apply for it? All I have is land and trees.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:06 pm

It's possible to get a "builders electricity" supply but I don't know the requirements.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:22 pm

SatCure wrote:It's possible to get a "builders electricity" supply but I don't know the requirements.

A building permit?

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:43 pm

Kilkis wrote:
SatCure wrote:It's possible to get a "builders electricity" supply but I don't know the requirements.

A building permit?

Warwick

I think that's very likely but, as I stated, I simply don't know.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:52 pm

Jacq wrote:Is it possible to get electricity on farm land without a building permit? Anyone?
Jacq

I think this will depend on the exact status of the land in question. You see electricity supplies all the time to shacks in fields. I assume they have some sort of farming status. Whether you would qualify I don't know. Have you asked at DEH? I'm pretty sure you don't need a building permit, but you will probably need to qualify in some other way. Maybe you would need to have olive trees registered under cultivation?

And a few years ago DEH had a campaign encouraging people to connect up their "summer homes". Which probably meant illegal dwellings in olive groves. Presumably if you took them up on the offer, you would shortly afterwards be receiving a visit from the Planning Dept or Tax Office requesting further details.......

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:25 pm

YoMo2 wrote:...I'm pretty sure you don't need a building permit,...

Just for clarity, when I wrote "A building permit?" earlier in the thread it was in reply to SatCure's post about getting "builders electricity". I was not suggesting that a "building permit" was the only way to get electricity. I have no idea if there are other methods. Because of the high level of illegal building I would guess that they don't make it easy.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:56 pm

YoMo2 wrote:
Jacq wrote:Is it possible to get electricity on farm land without a building permit? Anyone?
Jacq

Have you asked at DEH?

Those are about the only sensible words I've read on this thread.

I'm constantly amazed that people on forums ask a bunch of amateurs like us, who are not likely to have experienced whatever situation it is, for a definitive answer to questions that almost certainly involve points of law or regulation.
No problem about "Can anyone recommend a shop/garage/carpenter etc.," but if I have a question that involves law or tax or building regs I ask a lawyer, an accountant, the building regs office or KEP or whoever is appropriate. I find KEP is a good starting point: if they don't know the answer they know who should be asked and will usually make the enquiry on your behalf.

Is Jacq actually any nearer a definitive answer than he/she was when posting the question?

mouche

Postby mouche » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:37 am

+1

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:38 am

filippos wrote:...I'm constantly amazed that people on forums ask a bunch of amateurs like us, who are not likely to have experienced whatever situation it is, for a definitive answer to questions that almost certainly involve points of law or regulation...

I sort of agree with the sentiment but not 100 %. People often do give sensible replies precisely because they have experienced the situation being asked about. I agree that they cannot give a definitive answer, because their particular situation might not be identical or rules might have changed, but they can often provide useful information. I agree that in the end they should ask the relevant person/organisation, whatever reply they get on here, but sometimes it is useful to have the benefit of other people's experience before asking the relevant authority. Forewarned is forearmed. Really it is not that much different from recommending a shop. You recommend that based on your own experience. In this particular case I suspect that getting electricity to a plot of land with no intention to build is not that common an activity for the average ex-pat, hence the paucity of sensible replies.

Warwick

Jacq

Postby Jacq » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:45 pm

I kind of liked this forum, where I could ask answers to questions that I, newcomer, have.
I found the forelast reaction unnecessarily unkind and I will hesitate before I ask anything else. Nicely done, thank you.
Jacq

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:21 am

Jacq, my comment wasn't aimed at you personally but was a general observation. I think my point is made by this thread. There are a few not very informative answers but very little response apart from that which suggests that other forum users don't have an answer to your question. You are no further forward but a trip to a ΔΕΗ office or, possibly, a KEP office might have given you the information straight away.

Over the years there have been dozens, possibly hundreds, of questions asked about details of building regulations, or legal technicalities or details of tax law. Some may have received plausible answers but how do the questioners know that they're actually correct? Doesn't it make sense to go directly to somewhere you have a fair chance of getting a response that you can rely on. I say a "fair chance" as, in some instances, you might get different answers from different offices of the responsible authority.

Before we sold our property here if I wanted info about building regulations I asked a civil engineer. If I have a legal question I ask a lawyer (if I didn't already have one I'd ask on here for recommendations).

As Warwick said in his most recent post, "In this particular case I suspect that getting electricity to a plot of land with no intention to build is not that common an activity for the average ex-pat, hence the paucity of sensible replies." You might have got an answer from ΔΕΗ almost two weeks ago.

Return to “General Discussion & News”