Anthropogenic Global Warming

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Ray

Anthropogenic Global Warming

Postby Ray » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:44 pm

We had a discussion recently on the board about anthropogenic (man made) global warming.

There is an important and easy to understand paper now published that should give everyone an understanding of the situation as well as the science involved.

It is here:

http://www.middlebury.net/op-ed/global-warming-01.html

I hope that you enjoy reading it as much as I did.

All the best

Ray

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:07 pm

Well, I got to the end of the first page before dropping off...
Living in Crete!!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:27 pm

You could also read http://environment.newscientist.com/cha ... th/dn11462

I think you will find that every assertion made in the article referenced by Ray is exposed as a myth in the various links on this page. It also exposes as myth all the assertions made by Ray in his last lengthy post on this topic a few weeks ago. I was going to post an extended response then but Paul asked people to stop the thread so I refrained. Since Ray has chosen to raise the issue again I will respond now. I will rely on this link to debunk the claims rather than write my own rebuttal since people can decide whether to read it or not. You might also note that the various short articles referenced in the above link pose rational balanced scientific arguments.

Warwick

Ray

Postby Ray » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:58 pm

We shall see, we shall see . . . .

Ray

Barbary Coaster

Postby Barbary Coaster » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:30 am

The site Ray mentions may well be quoting rubbish.

BUT to quote the site Warwick mentions:-

"Of course, just because most scientists think something is true does not necessarily mean they are right."

I am sure there are a good few examples of that..........

Let's just get back to Crete please !!
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:48 am

Barbary Coaster wrote:Let's just get back to Crete please !!

I thought that this "warming" was global. I never realised that Crete was exempt!

John

Barbary Coaster

Postby Barbary Coaster » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:24 am

Retired in Crete wrote:
Barbary Coaster wrote:Let's just get back to Crete please !!

I thought that this "warming" was global. I never realised that Crete was exempt!

John

very witty John ......Oh how we laughed !!

Most folks on here do not want to listen to long drawn out arguments from "experts", about things which are not exclusive to Crete. To remind you, the title of the Forum is "LIVING IN CRETE".

The subject is important, but not to the detriment of things the Forum was created to cover, such as "living in Crete" !!
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular

Hudson

Postby Hudson » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:30 am

Barbary Coaster wrote:
Most folks on here ...............

How do you know what most folks think? Have you been inundated with PM's saying "BC please say that we think xyz as we are to afraid to express our feelings for ourselves?"

Perhaps you hadn't noticed there is much more on this forum than just a debate about global warming.

paulh

Postby paulh » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:12 am

The forum is not just about Crete, never has been, and never will be. Crete does not live in isolation from the rest of the world and neither does this board.

If you want to argue titles, Living in Crete can just as easily refer to people doing (or thinking of doing) just that and it is a forum for topics they want to discuss.

Carol said just this a while back in one of the threads so thats not an isolated individual opinion

jeansy

Postby jeansy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:38 pm

Well said paulh I believe the forum is for people to air their views and for people to reply if they so wish. Does it matter if it is a global item or an item about shopping in lidls as opposed to carrefour, we are all entitled to say our piece or to keep it to ourselves.
paul

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:42 pm

Barbary Coaster wrote:Most folks on here do not want to listen to long drawn out arguments from "experts", about things which are not exclusive to Crete.

BC the answer is in your own hands. If the subject is of no interest to you don't read it! (How many times before has that been said?)

I thought that the posts from Ray & Warwick were excellent, no long drawn out arguments, just straight links to relevant articles.

If you are more interested in the relative merits of putting half a pound of bacon in the aircraft hold rather than in your hand luggage then that is your perogative. Just goes to show that we are all different!

John

andheath

Postby andheath » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:38 am

Borebary Toaster has now elected himself to speak on behalf of everybody
Most folks on here........
how brave of him.

You have attacked me so here is one for you. Of your 39 posts I read 38 to pick on the negative of some other persons post. You have no subject of your own and your parasite views generate forum suicide.

Go drink on your own and complain about the toilets, nobody is listening.

very witty John ......Oh how we laughed !!
No it is not very witty on your part and the "we" is just you. Just a snide remark from a fool.

Enjoyed that. Thank you.
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:59 am

Well said guys!

The regular members on this forum are more than capable of talking for and standing up for themselves!!

As John (RIC) said if the post doesn't interest you, don't read it!!

Since I joined last year, there have been some weird and wonderful posts, some have made me laugh, others have made me cry (with laughter or in some cases sadness), some have bored me rigid (usually things that I don't understand), some have enlightened me about things that I didn't understand until I read about it here. I've even read some books that I wouldn't necessarily have read if I hadn't heard about them on this site.

Crete is part of the world and so things that happen in the US, Europe, Greece, UK and anywhere else can play a part in life in Crete...
Living in Crete!!

andheath

Postby andheath » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:13 am

Well said Lynn

I love you more each day.
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

latsida

Postby latsida » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:53 am

Just to cheer you all up thought I would let you know its snowing in the UK right now :P

Return to “General Discussion & News”