Famiy certificate πιστοποιητικού οικογενειακής

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
marmite

Famiy certificate πιστοποιητικού οικογενειακής

Postby marmite » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:22 pm

We are being asked by the school for a πιστοποιητικού οικογενειακής (family certificate). I have been asked before every time the kids move through from one school to the next and have always managed to pacify them with the Greek Birth certificate they have. But this time they want the πιστοποιητικού οικογενειακής and as English parents of kids born here in Greece we cannot get one. In England a family certificate does not exist as we know but here it does and they cannot understand why I cannot get one!
Has anyone else come across this and does anyone have a solution?
I tried KEP last time this topic came up but they looked as puzzled as the school!

Kilkis

Re: Famiy certificate πιστοποιητικού οικογενειακής

Postby Kilkis » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:51 pm

I don't know if this would work but could you try going to the place where you would normally get the certificate from and asking for one. When they refuse, ask them to write, sign and stamp why you cannot have one. Then give that statement to the school.

Alternatively, I presume who can and cannot get a certificate is defined in some Greek law. Ask a lawyer for a copy of the law that defines it with the article that prevents you getting one highlighted. Then give that to the school.

It's not relevant to your case but I was asked for a family certificate when I applied for my IKA pension, since my wife was still alive then and would be a dependent. I explained that no such thing exists in the UK and gave them a copy of my UK marriage certificate with a Greek translation. They accepted that.

Warwick

marmite

Postby marmite » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:14 am

Thanks Warwick.

marmite

Postby marmite » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:51 pm

It used to be possible to get a Greek ID if you were born to non Greek parents who were long term residents of Greece if both parents lived legally in Greece for 5 years. Also by attending school for 6 years it was possible to get a Greek ID. Then they ‘Froze’ the right to do this.Do you know if they have ‘unfrozen’ this right.
I ask as I need to apply for Greek ID for my son. He was born here and attended school here. His parents are both English. We have lived here for many years.
Do I need to apply for Greek Nationality before I apply for Greek ID? The reason I need the Greek ID is my son is now 14 year old and the school is asking for an oikogeneiaki merida – which as my son was born in Greece to non Greek parents we cannot get. It has been suggested to me though that a Greek ID no. would satisfy the educational system and will be something he will need anyway in time anyway.
Anyone else out there with a similar situation? Comments? Anyone know the up to date rulings? I have done a mound of research on line but not found any up to date info.

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:33 am

On-line doesn't know everything. I assume you've tried KEP without success or maybe a lawyer will know where to find the relevant regulations.

margarita

Postby margarita » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:24 am

Would the British Embassy in Athens be able to help?

They would have experience from all of Greece rather than just Crete as most members of this Forum have. There may be more people elsewhere in Greece in your situation.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:24 am

marmite wrote:...Do I need to apply for Greek Nationality before I apply for Greek ID? ...

I am not an expert but I am pretty certain that the answer to that part of the enquiry is yes. As far as I am aware, Greek ID proves that you are a Greek national. Both Greek passports and Greek ID cards would only be issued to somebody who is a Greek national.

The rules on acquiring nationality are described in this document while this one is the Greek Code referred to in the following paragraph. I'm not sure if they help?

As far as I can see the rules on acquiring citizenship through birth to parents of non-Greek origin who are long term residents in Greece are still suspended. In fact I think all paths to nationality except by some form of Greek origin are suspended. There is a long discussion in this article under the section "Challenge to New Greek Citizenship Code 3838/2010". It doesn't look hopeful I'm afraid.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”